1868 SILVER NAPOLEON III ........ sort of !!

ivy_walls

Sep 1, 2006
Mishawaka Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE & Garrett Ace 250
Just yesterday i was complaining to the guy who posted the thread about the edward 111 hoard that i wish i lived somewhere that could even produce a indian head or old silver. well here is what i found .....

napoleon III.jpg

well I sort of found that coin but it was in the shape of a ring ! ........

ring1.jpg

from what i can tell it is an 1868 Napoleon III french 5 frank coin. here are some other pictures of the inside that i used to find a similar coin on eBay. if i am wrong or you can give further details like where or how its made, please let me know !

ring2.jpg

ring3.jpg

ring4.jpg

ring5.jpg

ring6.jpg

DOES THIS COUNT AS THE OLDEST COIN I EVER FOUND ???
thanks for looking and have a great night !!

Mark (a.k.a. ivy_walls)

Upvote 0

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do they make those ? Looks cool WTG

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
If you decide you want to sell or trade something for it, let me know. I love coin rings and especially that one. Congrats. :thumbsup:

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome that you can see the details of the coin on the inside of the ring like that....even the date. That is a great find. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was younger, we called them spoon rings. You start with a silver coin, ofter a silver quarter for a young persons ring, start beating the edges with a heavy spoon, like a table spoon, all the while turning it in your fingers. The "reeded" edge becomes smooth and starts to widen out. When you have it as wide as you want it, you have your Grandfather drill the hole in the middle. It does take many whacks with a spoon to get it done! There was another recent post concerning a spoon ring.

Bob

OP
OP
ivy_walls

ivy_walls

Sep 1, 2006
Mishawaka Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE & Garrett Ace 250
daytondigger said:
If you decide you want to sell or trade something for it, let me know. I love coin rings and especially that one. Congrats. :thumbsup:

if this wasnt the oldest thing ive found with a date i would consider selling it, but i think i will keep it.

do you know the history of something like this?? our town is barely this old, could it have come from a worlds fair or something like that ???

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's pretty cool. Makes you wonder what year it was made into a ring. Congrats on the interesting and unique find!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! I've made a couple spoon rings only I use a small mallet which makes the job a little quicker. It still takes about 10 hours of tapping to get it to the point of drilling. After drilling I use a chainsaw file to hollow it out and then sanding...

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
very neat find.....i hit a Nap III last year.... but it was a replica....... cool find none the less... but yours is very neat.. I have often thought about having a coin made into a ring...... i like that stuff! Congrats

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow!!

That is an extraordinary find. Can you give us some details on finding it?

WTG!!!

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
My dad made his and my mom's wedding rings from coins. They're priceless for that reason. It's so personal to have something handmade especially from a coin.

You know, if that was a 'holed' coin for a necklace, we'd thing less of it than we would an intact coin, but as a ring, we seem to value it more highly.

Super cool find!

Jason

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions