large cent and barber dime

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Had the week off last week and got a couple of days detecting. Decided to stay in coin mode (usually in jewelry mode) on the Ace 250 and didn;t do too bad from what you can see. The first day I came home with my first Barber dime, 1892, andd you can see that it is in great condition!
The next day I was maybe 30 feet away from where I got the dime and got a great signal that couldn;t decide if it was a dime or a quarter. Using a technique I discovered with my detector I determined that the item was small so I dug it up. Lo and behold what popped out of the hole was my fifth large cent and the best condition I have...1828! I knew it was a large cent when it flew out of the ground!

Anyway I have the day off tomorrow and more than likely I will hit this spot again but put it in jewelry mode again to get some buttons or other items...not that I won't dig any coins!

Thanks for looking

Funkman

Attachments

• coins front.JPG
    coins front.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 865
  • coins back.JPG
    coins back.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 870
Upvote 0

dave in iowa

Jan 29, 2008
iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Track, Minelab S.E. , and a Whites Prizm 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds , good luck when you go back.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both of those are GREAT looking coins. Well done. :thumbsup:

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Two awesome coins, must have been lost a long time ago since they're hardly worn. the ground was kind to your large cent also.

Good job.

Jason

S

seger98

That large cent is in nice shape, congratulations on both of them! :thumbsup:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
when I seen your large cent..I thought the 2 didn't look right ..so I pulled my 2009 redbook out an checked..I was right.. there is 2 varieties of the 1828 large cent.. to know which variety you have..you'll have to clean the dirt off of the 2 to see the loop at the top of the 2... btw that is a really nice looking large cent!

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Thanks for the replies all!

Creeper....what does the 2 have that is different based on the info you have. I saw that there is large narrow date and small wide date which is the spacing between the 8 and the 2 form what I can tell form PCGS website. What do you show?

Thanks

Funkman

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
Real nice Large Cent! The soil was kind to that one!
Sweet dime too! Looks like you can see a full liberty on the headband.
Congrats!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
When the wife would ask me what I brought home in the past, and I would tell her 11 cents and some pulltabs, I wasn't kidding usually. I sure would have preferred your 11 cents to mine though!

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Buzzard....

Yep "LIBERTY: is clearly visible on the headband of the dime, just the pic doesn;t show it well.

Thanks

Funkman

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
the one has a very close tight loop in the top of the 2.. heck now that I looked closer even the 8's are differnt.. other has the loop open an pointing 1/2 way down the curve in the 2 an touching the first 8... don't say which variey is which tho... I assume the first one I discibed is the small wide date

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
[Using a technique I discovered with my detector I determined that the item was small so I dug it up./quote]

Funkman.. what is your secret technique? I'm still fighting with this and the signals and trying to tell if it's a dime or quarter..?

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
not much of a technique but helps me determine if it is A: small and B: has a coin signature.

What I do is when I get a good target I will swing the coil in shorter swings and start to pull away from the target. If the as I swing and the target stays in a coin ID then it is the same metallic signature as a coin. If it at the last swing before disappearing completely switches to a junk ID then it turns out to be junk. Basically watch the display as you do this and see what the target ID shows as you are pulling away from the item.

Hope this helps and I didn;t confuse you more.

Funkman

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice coins and pretty patina!

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
forgot to mention about the size of the item...same technique though. Swing as you pull away from the object until it disappears. Mark that spot with your eye and sthen swing forward again, re-acquire the target and keep swinging slow and small swings going forward until you no longer hear the target. Again mark this spot with your eye. If you notice that the target is on acquired in a short distance between the two spots then it is a small object and again if it keeps the target ID in coin range the whole time, then it is probably a coin or something else desirable. If the distance is big (you will get the hang of what is big and what isn;t) then it could be a pipe or some other un-desirable object.
FInd out what I mean by experimenting and digging all these targets to see what I am talking about.

Funkman

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty little lady WTG :thumbsup:

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Congrats on your Large Cent and first mint year barber dime!! :thumbsup:

Your LC has great detail for a 180 year old coin!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread