1803 Draped Bust cent

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
I'm getting so addicted to the large coppers that I'll forego a better chance at more recent silver if there's a place I've got a better chance of hitting a large copper at. Today it paid off. 1803 Draped Bust cent. Obverse is in pretty good shape, although much of the detail seems to be in the verdigris, but the reverse is rougher. Anyone have any good sites for identifying draped bust varieties? (nd.edu and coin.facts seem to be a bust on those.)

081026_1803-Draped-Bust_w-bgrd 002_sm.jpg

081026_1803-Draped-Bust_obverse-in-dirt 001_sm.jpg

Oh, found out today my Fugio is a Newman 7T. (76-200 known) And likely has a double-strike error on the obverse--that took me a while to suss. Still not sure what coin(?) impressed that obverse.) Still not worth that much though.

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need for a website with Don in SJ on the forum. :wink: Now get that baby in the peroxide and post some "after" photos. That is a Beautiful coin.

-Buckles

OP
OP
BlackX

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
BuckleBoy said:
No need for a website with Don in SJ on the forum. :wink:

Yeah, he's a heckuva resource but I'm trying to learn as much of this as I can too. Had fun learning Fugio stuff today.

Now get that baby in the peroxide and post some "after" photos. That is a Beautiful coin.

Thanks, but it's probably not in as good shape as it looks and I first thought. Much of the detail seems to be in the verdigris. Gave it one round of H2O2 now to try to clean off the worst of the dirt and it started to take off some of the detail, I think. (Not completely sure how much of that was just showing after the dirt came off or if I actually lost some surface. These aren't the best pics but I'll try to get better ones later.

081026_1803-Draped-Bust_obverse 005.jpg

081026_1803-Draped-Bust_reverse 006.jpg

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Nice old coin...great digs.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Attachments

• remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 541
  • remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 544

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice......Lets put my 1800, 1801, and 1802 together with your 1803 and start a collection! Congratulations! :thumbsup: Hogge

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
the 1803 Large Cent seems to be popping up everywhere. I found one last week, and it seems like I have seen at least one other posted here on TNET somewhere.

Nice diggs, VPR

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Looks like you are evolving nicely in so much that you have shifted your priorities to what your location CAN provide for you. Congratulations and congratulations on your fabulous coin. I like the coin with it's natural unaltered look. The only thing I will sometimes do is tumble a coin for identifying detail only. :thumbsup:
Chris

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
hogge said:
Nice......Lets put my 1800, 1801, and 1802 together with your 1803 and start a collection! Congratulations! :thumbsup: Hogge
Hogge. I'm working on my fourth collection of Draped Bust Largies. I'm almost finished with my first collection of half cents. :wink:
Chris

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
BlackX said:
Anyone have any good sites for identifying draped bust varieties? (nd.edu and coin.facts seem to be a bust on those.)

First of all, congrats on the copper. It may be a bit difficult to ID a copper in that condition especially with 23 varieties made that year!

:D Don in SJ is pretty good with the ID on these and would be your best bet.

Nice going!!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yikes, you could have found a year with less varieties! ;D I downloaded the photo and gave a quick look and I doubt I could make a accurate attribution since it is the Reverse side details that are so critical in getting the exact variety and I just do not see enough detail of the specific areas needed to ID the coin. Maybe later today I will give it another shot, but right now I say, "well, you got another large cent and have a date, so be happy" :wink:

For general information purposes, important areas that usually are needed to be seen on the Reverse side are the pointed end of leaf positions in relation to certain letters. Usually, where the leaf points to the D in UNITED, the last S in STATES, the F of OF and the C in AMERICA. Once those are established, which is not always easy, then look for other differences noted.

Don

OP
OP
BlackX

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Don in SJ said:
For general information purposes, important areas that usually are needed to be seen on the Reverse side are the pointed end of leaf positions in relation to certain letters. Usually, where the leaf points to the D in UNITED, the last S in STATES, the F of OF and the C in AMERICA. Once those are established, which is not always easy, then look for other differences noted.

Thanks for the tip, Don. That sort of thing can be quite helpful. e.g., One thing on the 7T Fugio that helped seal the deal in my mind, not just what the experts were saying but learning for myself, was when I saw that the nick on the 7 or 8 ring was diagnostic for the T reverse. This is fun learning this stuff! I'll be trying my best to figure out what I can if I get a chance today (depends on how busy work is) but in the meantime here's a couple more photos.

081026_1803-Draped-Bust_sunlight_obverse 001.jpg

081026_1803-Draped-Bust_sunlight_reverse 002.jpg

Looks like there's some detail under the peel. I'm just trying to figure out what it tells me from what's already peeled. Still wavering a bit but likely at this point to put it in distilled water for a day and then preserve it. I still need to pick up some Blue Ribbon but need to find a source.

_Rich_

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love those old ladys Awesome find :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread