Long rain brings 2nd Mercury

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
Had time for a 30 minute hunt in my parent's farmyard late this afternoon.
I was working the side of the house in an area which you can tell was part of the grass driveway of the house for many years. I have searched this area thoroughly about 10 times in the last four months, and it had previously produced a Mercury, a Rosie(last week), a gold pin, and lots of clad.
About 20 ft from the back porch, I got a very clean coin signal, which was so distinct I thought it must be either a shallow Lincoln or a piece of aluminum. Which was odd, because I didn't see how I could have missed such a good signal on my prior sweeps of the area.
I dug, checked the hole, and it appeared that the target had moved a couple of inches. I dug again, this time on another side of a root, and lifted out a few scoops. Checked again and the hole was empty. Felt around the dirt in my tray, and was very surprised to pull out a 1940 Mercury. It even had an "S" mintmark, which is not common in this area.
But, I wondered, how could I have missed such an obvious signal?
This is my theory- a few days ago, we had our first rain after a long dry spell. It rained almost continually for 24 hours.
I think that the coin had been edge up in the ground and not detectable by the Ace, but the rain had caused it to shift so that much more of its surface area was exposed to the detector.
That's one of the things I like about this hobby, you just never know when you're going to catch a lucky break!
Happy hunting everyone

Attachments

• 2ndmercury.JPG
    2ndmercury.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 300
  • 2ndmercuryreverse.JPG
    2ndmercuryreverse.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 284
Upvote 0

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007