watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The past two days I've had the pleasure of hunting the woods with "Kimsdad" along the Des Plaines River.

The weather has been absolutely "Stellar" (as Nick would say :D) and the trees were all in full color. . .
and I'm still kicking myself for forgetting to bring my camera gear along.

We arrived at the woods late morning yesterday and my first solid hit was a lead musket (?) ball which
measured a tad over .50 in diameter (close to .58). I was really surprised, to say the least, that I would find
something like this in our area. . . as all I've been finding have been 12-gauge shells and .22 casings.

About 15-minutes later, I unearthed a lead CrackerJack Trolley near a large tree and not far from that,
a men's copper ring that still had a speck of it's original gold plating. What was unusual about the ring,
it was underneath a 1/2-inch thick piece of brick-like tile which was buried about 4" deep. . . coincidence ???

My next target rang a solid "penny tone" and as I was about to dig, my cell phone rings. . . it was "Kimsdad"
(who was about 50-yards away) saying he just found a 1924 Wheat "and there's still more in the hole". . .
(you'll have to wait for his post :)) After our phone conversation, I finished digging my target which ended up
being a 1929 Wheat. I started spiraling my search path out from there and about 15-feet away, I got another
solid tone. As I started digging, I hit a 2" root about 5" down and right under it, I could see the rim of a
nickel. After wiping away the dirt, my heart started to pound when I could see the faint stars around the rim
and the "V" on the back.

The FIRST rule I was taught after a decent recovery (especially in the woods :wink:), is to curb
your excitement and RE-CHECK the hole. AND the pile of dirt next to it. I'm glad I did because
buried in that pile of dirt was a 1923 Buffalo Nickel.

DSC_6555.JPG

My hunt this morning with "Kimsdad" was full of anticipation. After finding the "V" & "Buffalo"
Nickels the day before, I was really up for a Barber or two ::). It was not meant to be. Instead, I found
a few odds & ends AND, was able to add a "Cow" to my CrackerJack herd (I now have two cows :D).

DSC_6561.JPG

Thanks for looking!
watercolor

Upvote 0

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Hey Mark,
It was really good to get out with you the past couple of days! :D My swinging arm is a little sore now!

I'm so glad I was there to see you pull that V-nickel & Buffalo out of that hole! What a cool thing to watch! It felt the same as if I had found them. You didn't post the backs of the coins, but as I recall, the back of the V was in even better shape than the front. :) There's gotta still be a Barber or two somewhere in there - we've got to hit it again. :wink:

Rings, a V, a Buffalo, all that Cracker Jack stuff and more!! Great finds, my friend!! Congrats!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Neil

blklab

Jul 30, 2008
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
White's DFX/Garrett Ace 250/Troy X2/DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Great Finds. Congratulations, you have had some terrific success. Continued
luck and keep us posted. :thumbsup:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds,

That's some gentle soil there. Those nickles held up great.

HH Jer

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WC~! 8) Sounds like a GREAT site to hunt! And even better with a huntin' buddy! :thumbsup:

Super finds!! Nana :wink:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Coincedence ?......I'm not too sure about that WC,something kinda funny about that one :icon_scratch: Beautiful dig's for the day though....I do know that!!! :thumbsup: Super find's, V & the Buff....and a little bit of lead too :wink: Hat Trick!!!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the digs WC. :thumbsup:
Any idea what that thing is that looks like a hearing aid for a mouse? :icon_scratch: I found one of those before too.
Congrats,
MM

Attachments

• indexCAVQP6UL.jpg
    indexCAVQP6UL.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 547

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Nice hunt!Those nickels are in sweet shape,if my soil was so kind to them,I would be be digging them a lot more.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Musket Ball

AWESOME FIND !!!!! W C

Found one 2 years ago strange find in deed

Your nickles turn out grat using the warchester sauce

I have to try that...

Great job you two......

Congrats

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Sweet "V" and Buff! Wow the V is in nice shape!
Nice Digs.

Word of advice though. Don't start milking the cracker jack thing. LOL.

HH
Mark

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Wow you have some great places to go hunt and you always find some cool stuff!!!

Is that thing possibly a game piece?

OP
OP
watercolor

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for all the comments. . .

ModernMiner said:
Great job on the digs WC. :thumbsup:
Any idea what that thing is that looks like a hearing aid for a mouse? :icon_scratch: I found one of those before too.
Congrats,
MM

That's the second one of those I've found this year. . . it could be part of a snap
for some type of old canvas satchel or back-pack ???

mastereagle22 said:
Wow you have some great places to go hunt and you always find some cool stuff!!!

Is that thing possibly a game piece?

That may be a possibility as well. . .

JerDfx said:
Nice finds,

That's some gentle soil there. Those nickles held up great.

HH Jer

Lea & Perrins' Worcestershire Sauce works WONDERS on those red, out-of-the-ground nickels.

Thanks again everyone!
watercolor

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Very cool finds mark....I bet you were wishing I was there to help you across that water......You really hit on a great site....too cool

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread