WW1 doughboy??

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Went detecting with my son for a few hours to one of the fields that a local church owns. According to the old maps there was a house near one end of this field. This field is huge but I wanted to grid it pretty good so that was what we did. I showed him where a well or something is so he can be careful to not fall in. It looks more modern (post 1900) than others that I have seen and is square and brick lined. That was at one end of the field so we pretty much started there. We only got maybe a quarter of the field done before the time was over but did come back with some interesting relics. All seem to be post 1900 though and unfortunately no coins. The best find of the day I think was the lead soldier that seems to be based on World War One. This is my first lead soldier I have found and I was happy to see that there were no parts broken off and that even some of the paint is still on it. Not sure if it has been re-painted before lost though. Can anyone verify that this is a WW1 soldier? Looks like it with the leggings that is on it.
Also found a Gem razor that through some research shows this particular style might have been patented in 1912.
The decorative scroll work item I believe to be a drawer pull.
A couple of clock and watch parts were brought back to the surface.

Went into a wooded section for about 1/2 hour and went to where I have found some broken and whole bottles before and came back with another one that has "Iron Glue" on the bottom. Iron Glue was made by McCormick & Company which is still in business today with spices and stuff.

When we got closer to the car I decided to swing some more and got the rosary bead/ cross. I made a promise to the church that any religious items I find I will turn them in and they can do what they wish with them. I have found only one medalion until this so cross. My kids have religious education tonight so now that I have pics of it I will turn it in tonight.

If anyone can tell me more about the lead soldier (WW1??, manufacturing, etc) or any other item I would appreciate it.

Thanks for looking

Funkman

Attachments

• lead soldier front.JPG
    lead soldier front.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 582
  • lid bottom.JPG
    lid bottom.JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 496
  • lid top.JPG
    lid top.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 497
  • clock parts B.JPG
    clock parts B.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 563
  • clock parts A.JPG
    clock parts A.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 560
  • drawer pull.JPG
    drawer pull.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 535
  • lead soldier bottom.JPG
    lead soldier bottom.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 561
  • lead soldier back.JPG
    lead soldier back.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 547
Upvote 0
OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
more pics

Attachments

• cross back.JPG
    cross back.JPG
    213.2 KB · Views: 506
  • cross front.JPG
    cross front.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 513
  • watch gear.JPG
    watch gear.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 443
  • reed.JPG
    reed.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 458
  • razor top.JPG
    razor top.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 537
  • razor.JPG
    razor.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 499
  • iron glue bottle bottom.JPG
    iron glue bottle bottom.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 766
  • iron glue bottle.JPG
    iron glue bottle.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 742

JRich98150

May 29, 2007
Middleburg, Florida 32068
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Nice finds!! Your WWI soldier was possibly manufactured by a company called Barclay. There is another company that also made those lead soldiers I believe it begins with a "M" You'll find both on Ebay fairly often. Your soldier was part of a team of litter carriers. There would have been a third piece with a wounded soldier on the litter that they carried. Your rosary is a beautiful find as well.

JRich

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Like the doughboy. I used to have a large collection of WWII solders but they where blown up during a large battle with fire crackers..LOL

Great digs.

Attachments

• remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 869
  • remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 888
OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
thanks for the replies....and thanks JRich for help on the ID...I was wondering why his hands looked like that and now it makes sense. Maybe the other two are somewhere else in the field. Have to go back and search some more.

Funkman

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
The toy soldier is a post-1935 Barclay closed-hand stretcher bearer, worth around $10-15.

The open-hand variety— fingertips not touching sides— is worth about four times as much... and yes, a collector can tell if it's an altered closed-hand! ::)

(By the way, the "M" maker that JRich mentioned is Manoil.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread