Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found, what at the time I thought was a piece of scrap brass, and promptly threw it in the trash pouch. Later when I was separating all the junk, I noticed what appeared to be some etching or type of drawing. (It was really corroded) I realized that it was a printing plate, one larger than others I've dug. After cleaning, I started to see the outline of a building, with some sort of writing across the front. After scanning a few times to no avail, I figured I needed something to paint on it to see it better. Not having an ink pad, I settled for black shoe polish. After scanning again, I could make out most of the wording, which I thought at the time, was "The Uzzell Cold Cure Institute" Googling got me nowhere, except for several "Uzzells" in the Denver area. No "Cold Cure" except for patent remedies info. So I set it aside. A few days later, I was looking at the scan, and I realized that the word, Cold, was actually Gold. That got some some hits! The gold cure was a treatment for opium and alcoholics, where injections of gold chloride was administered to patients. Lovely. Went to the library, and got a little more info. Not the best find I've ever dug, but one with one of the most bizarre histories. Plus, the fact that I've bar tended for over twenty years, makes it a little more interesting to me. Hope I didn't bore you.

Attachments

• Uzzell Imprint.jpg
    Uzzell Imprint.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 622
  • Hotel Plate.jpg
    Hotel Plate.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 620
  • Uzzell Newspaper.jpg
    Uzzell Newspaper.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 608
Upvote 0

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Great Post Carl!
That is a cool find. I will agree far better than finding a memorial cent, or any clad coin!
Nice post.
Thank you,
Mark

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008
Anytime you can find out interesting social history from what you excavate, you have found a real winner. mercury63

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Great find. That's a different kind of cure. Great research.
Dman

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's an amazing find..an interesting bit of history. I wonder if the Gold Cure wasn't worse than the affliction though.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ironic, huh? :D That's a neat find! Wonder how that treatment worked out? :P Don't let Plah see this, he may confiscate it! ;D :D

Nana :wink:

OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I had some really cool articles, but they were in some weird format that this site wouldn't accept. (They might be copyright protected) One was a article about some newspaperman that killed himself with morphine at the steps of the institute. Colorado is real good at putting reference material online, and if not, the main library is a treasure trove of info. Who knew?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ah great bit of research work --with research skills like that--great places to detect should drop into your lap easily --- Ivan

roceda

Nov 12, 2007
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neat find. Great research and history lesson of your find. That is what makes this hobby interesting. You never know what might turn up. Ron.

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
"Everyone who has gone out from the walls of this sanitarium has been a sober man, and has thus remained until this day."

You dig some of the coolest stuff, Carl! Nice find!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

P

Pentico

Dang cool find!
Denver is a fantastic place to hunt!
We will have to get out some time.
Congrats on the great finds!

Denver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread