crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone. After meeting up with the friend who got me started in this hobby, Randy Bennigton, we met up over at the JA McDonald house to try to see what he could find with his new Explorer SE. Unfortunately, he is still getting used to it and came up empty handed. I managed to pull out the New York CW cuff button in the front yard (posted on another topic). With the wind chill in the 30's we decided to go to a new place that he had acquired permission to hunt 20 miles away. Here, the wind was less brutal. The house had been vacant for years and was built at the turn of the last century. Not too much trash but lots of hits. I was able to pull out 17 good Wheaties in a couple of hours. The oldest being a 1909. When I saw the date my body went numb and my heart raced. I thought, could this be it?? No way, not today. Darn!! I checked real good too but no luck of squeezing out the VDB I was hoping for. Maybe today I will find it. I also found a brass door knob, an old key plate (whatever you call them), a rifle shell casing with 1941 and the roman numbers V11 on it and R^L too??? Also found what I thought was a token but had 5C L. Millice Loaf??. No silver yet but I know by finding that many Wheaties it has to be lurking somewhere. The spoon was found on a previous hunt at the JA McDonald place. The tag was also found there. It has patents all from the 1850's. I don't know what it came off of. The yard is pretty big, maybe 1/2 acre so I will be busy here for a while. Thanks for looking and I'll keep you updated as usuall Ron

Picture931.jpg

Picture932.jpg

Picture933.jpg

Picture934.jpg

Picture935.jpg

Picture953.jpg

Picture954.jpg

Picture955.jpg

Picture952.jpg

Picture945.jpg

Picture947.jpg

Picture950.jpg

Picture951.jpg

Picture943.jpg

Picture944.jpg

Picture891.jpg

Upvote 0

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Now that is one awesome day of hunting. Plenty of digs to be had. Great job. I was hoping for the VDB for ya as well. You will get one soon with that abundance of finds. WTG... :thumbsup: jgas

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jgas said:
Now that is one awesome day of hunting. Plenty of digs to be had. Great job. I was hoping for the VDB for ya as well. You will get one soon with that abundance of finds. WTG... :thumbsup: jgas

Thanks Jgas. I was hoping too but not this time. I'm heading back over there to get a good day in even though it's cold here in Ohio today

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! GREAT token! 8) And what is the round item with all the writing on it? What does it say?

Awesome pictures and finds, CJ! :o Good luck today! Nana :)

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
plehbah said:
The L. Millice is indeed a trade token. It is a unifacial brass token with incuse lettering good for a 5 cent loaf of bread from M. Millice the baker.

Tokens exhibiting that type of manufacture in my area usually date to the 1880s or early 1890s.

Nice stuff.

Wow Thanks for that info. I didn't think it was anything to get excited over

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nana40 said:
Wow! GREAT token! 8) And what is the round item with all the writing on it? What does it say?

Awesome pictures and finds, CJ! :o Good luck today! Nana :)
Found it at the 1837 McDonald house. Has patents ranging from 1846-1851. It has Manufactured By: Shaw and Clarke, Biddeford Maine. Don't know what it went to. Update. I just did some research and found out that they made sewing machines. They eventually were sued in 1860 for unfair manufacturing practices (patents) or something like that. I didn't read the entire article. Type it in under yahoo search and you can find it.

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
allen said:
with that many wheaties, theres gotta be silver lurking around somewheres...

I was thinking the same thing. I'm heading out right now for 6 hours of hunting :icon_sunny:

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Craz,

You better get back there before that place collapses...lol It looks like a good site and has treated you well so far. That token is neat and may be worth more than you think.

SKD
WeDigOhio

K

Kentucky Kache

You pretty much found a cache. Who cares if it all wasn't in the same hole.
Good job.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Nice bunch of Wheat pennies Congrats on the 1909.
Dman

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dman said:
Nice bunch of Wheat pennies Congrats on the 1909.
Dman

Thanks for the replies. Whats that token worth? I just thought it was a piece of brass with someones name on it. Actually, I thought it might have been a war ration token of some kind.

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
what great stuff!! i love finding unique items and wide variety of items! i especially like the token (bread lover that i am)...

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
burglarifyoulike said:
what great stuff!! i love finding unique items and wide variety of items! i especially like the token (bread lover that i am)...

Thanks Burglar :icon_scratch: What a name :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread