ultra thin copper spoon(looks like it was once plated silverish tone metal )

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ultra thin copper spoon(looks like it was once plated silverish tone metal )

very very thin flat as a pancake copper spoon (only the bowl part ) with what oncea silver looking plating / coating on it --- never seen or heard of copper as spoon metal --the area had lots early 1800 to 1901 time frame activity there

Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Re: ultra thin copper spoon(looks like it was once plated silverish tone metal )

Hello Ivan,,,
I have found quit a few spoons, forks, and knifes, at the cache site similar to what you described. Although, most of the ones I find are fairly thick. I think they're from the late 1800's to the early 1900's. A lot of the ones I find say "Roger's Silverplate" on them, if I remember right. Here's one of the only photos I could find at the moment.
spoon.jpg

Good luck, & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: ultra thin copper spoon(looks like it was once plated silverish tone metal )

well the thiness might be because it was a surface find it was most likely ran over by cars many times there was a lot of old brick building rubble there ---the area is a old grass type lot where folks park their cars at from a nearby dr office and school --- my wife had a doctors appointment so I had a hour to kill and as I parked my car on the grass lot -- as lots of folks do -- I noticed that where the cars had gone the grass was all gone and all kinds of "stuff" was visable on the surface -- found the spoon (bowl part only) smashed flat as a pancake and a civil war era rifle tool as well and other iron tidbits by just "eyeballing"--door latch parts stuff like that. --the gun tool look intersting but I did not know at first what iit was -- so I took it to the monthy metal detector club meet and our president looked at it and said right away -- civil war era gun tool seen lots of em -- told him where found at he said --oh there was union camps there during the civil war -- I hunted that spot 10 years ago. -- I told him thanks for "leaving me a few finds" :wink:

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great find.

Old_Okie

Jun 14, 2007

Copper is used a lot for the base metal for silverplated dinnerware. Better ones used "german" or "nickle" silver as a base because it still looked about the same after the real silver wore off.

Old_Okie

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice find there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions