NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Tim, they are hiring youngun's, they have never seen silver coins. Also, have have you ever, just for the fun of it, taken a few dateless worn out Buffs to your local filling station. They reject mine and tell me it is foreign money..... :tard: :tongue3: :icon_farao:

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to be a pessimist, but a find like that in pocket change is a good indication of the rough times. Someone tapped into their coin collection to buy a hot dog. I don't imagine this coin has been in circulation for 80 or so years, surely someone would have snatched it up years ago.

With that said...AWESOME coin find, the best I have done is a silver Roosevelt dime in pocket change!!! :thumbsup:

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area
That is incredible !! In 15 years I've only pulled 2 of those out of the ground . My son got a Mercury Dime in his change a few months ago . I think a lot of the younger folk manning those cash registers just think the old classic American coins are some kind of worthless foreign money . Congratulations on perhaps beating a Billion to one odds !! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;D
H H ,
George

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
To reply to Dirt Dr.
I think a lot of the younger folk manning those cash registers just think the old classic American coins are some kind of worthless foreign money .
this is the case sometimes, and sometimes they think it's worh a fortune. I'm always honest with people that it isn't worth anything in most cases, and if it is I'll tell them and offer a fair "Face x " for it. I don't very often get old ones this wasy anymore, but in the past it proved prudent!

I'd LOVE to find a SLQ in some change, and yes, it could be a sad indicator of someone having to break into their collection. Sometimes people find hoards and spend them. You never know the whole story...but it sure is fun to theorize.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Diggincoinz said:
That is cool, so I guess a Coscto is a hot dog place? I'm in the North East, never heard of it.
Costco is actually a big discount warehouse store, like Sam's Club, where items can be bought in bulk. But they have a great snack bar up front. Sam's has a killer pizza shop in theirs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread