Back to the Republic of Texas field again today. Made an exciting find.

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got up this morning, and just got the feeling that I needed to go back to the site where I found the last Texas Navy button. I didn't find a button, but I was thrilled to see this knife come out of the ground within feet of where I found the button. Also the infield bullet, and briddle piece was in the same area. I was well satisfied with the find today. Got that feelling, and went to the woods.

Attachments

• knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 885
  • knife 2.jpg
    knife 2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 891
  • bullet, and bridle rosette.jpg
    bullet, and bridle rosette.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 874
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old River

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There's lots of Republic of Texas history at this site. It dates back to the early 1800's. The Texas Navy, and Army dated to around 1836. This knife was found within feet of where I found one of the Texas Navy buttons that dates to 1836. I believe this knife dates back to time of Texas history. From the knives made at this time it looks like what they called a fighting knife, or dagger.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's one SEXY piece of Iron!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice piece of history. At first I was thinking maybe what they called an artillery sword that dates to 1832 ss_scaboa2.jpg but the shank where the grip and pommel would go looks longer than that of a artillery sword... Could be just the photo though :wink:

OP
OP
Old River

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That artillery sword really looks like it. I had looked at that earlier, and thought that just might be what it is. Thanks for looking.

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
Awesome finds. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I would hunt that place every time I had a chance. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I think that you will find some more great finds :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
And to me you are still the man
Congrats on all of your finds and keep the pics coming

fortbball9

OP
OP
Old River

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's another that looks a lot like it. I'm proud of the blade.

Attachments

• CSNavalCutlassAgain.jpg
    CSNavalCutlassAgain.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 627

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
Old River,

You are digging up some amazing artifacts much like the Second Seminole War here in Florida. The time period is the same 1836 to 1842, many of the artifacts from Texas during that time period mimic what we see here. I also feel that you are finding Smithsonian type relics. If I were you I would take vacation for 2 weeks, get a Class C motor home and a trusted friend and live on that site.

Here in Florida there was a "Republic of Texas" button found at Fort Foster in the 80's, they surmise it was a Militia soldier who came to Florida by way of Fort Brook (modern day Tampa) and fought in the Second Seminole War.

Bottom line is that you are digging some amazing priceless artifacts, please continue to post.

When you have time review some of Relicdude07's posts on this site, he is the Shiznit down here with what he is finding.

Good luck

OP
OP
Old River

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just got back from Waco, thought I might see Texas Connection in Calvert. Guess he slept late. I've be looking at the dude's post. He's made so great finds. I'm hoping to make a few more good finds in the future at this site. I will post as they come out of the ground. Thanks for the comment.

River

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds bud!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Old River

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As I find them I will post them. I've been a little slow lately, because I've had some health problems. Seems to be getting better now. I still got to take it easy for a while. Had a developing heart problem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread