Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't get out to hunt but once this week. Lisa and I had decided to see if we could find a couple of sites that we've been meaning to get to that we'd found on an old map. The first one was in a cut out make by the electric company. We learned from one of our land owners that the site we were looking for was a blacksmith shop back in the day. Kinda' made that one a iffy site after learning that bit of info. We did find it and allll the iron that it had to offer and I came away from there with two little round bullets in my pocket for keepers. Because of all the debris and iron it was quickly placed on the back burner.
We hopped across the road and doodled around for a while. Found two dimes and penny. Talked to the owner and he took us to see the old spring that they kept their milk in long ago, to keep it cool. Had to crawl through privet to get to it. Neat place even though the creek had run dry. Another place to keep in mind for later.
Left there and headed for the old Dr's place. It's one of the first sites that I ever hunted. Some of you may remember it. My best coin so far was found there.....

1800house2.jpg

Out on the back forty there is an old homesite that we were wanting to locate. After an hour or so scanning where we thought it might be, we sat down and studied the map a bit more. Decided that the place we needed to be was in a spot that we didn't want to get into at the moment, so we headed back up to the old house. Darkness was quickly coming in, so we only had a few minutes to spend there. First dig was a button looking item that has what looks like D A D and then two stars on the side and what looks like J R...or maybe even U R? on the bottom side. Next dig was a lead square? ??? Wiped it off and noticed some little marks on it. A die! I hollered over to Lisa and told her that I thought I had found a gaming die. But it's lead? Who would make a lead gaming die? And it's so tiny! ??? Well. Neat find, I thought, but nothing special about it. Packed up and left for the house. Got home, mentioned the die to Charlie and while I'm cooking dinner, he does a bit of googling for lead dice. He found a site that said sometimes soldiers from the CW would make them out of bullets and sit around in down time and play. I thought, wow! Maybe I do have a keeper here! My next thought was to mail a couple of my friends on here that I knew were knowledgeable on CW era items and see what their thoughts were on it. BuckleBoy answered with a reply that I was thrilled to read! A 'YES they did' reply! ;D Thanks so much for taking the time, Will! :)

Here's pics of the die and the other finds from the day...
IMG_7639-1.jpg

IMG_7642-1.jpg

IMG_7656.jpg

IMG_7659.jpg

Upvote 0

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now that is totally cool Nana :thumbsup:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'CMONNNNNNN!!!!!!!........."7" :thumbsup: Nice find! Hogge

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent Find Alabama Nana!!! I have a friend who got to go on an arch. dig for the National Park Service at the Bloody Pond at Shiloh. He found a small die piece there. All items recovered had to be given back to the park. He was told that soldiers who carried them quickly discarded them when wounded fearing they would die and their mothers would find the die piece in their clothes if their body was returned home. The way Mama thought about gambling had a big impact back then too. I bet the soil was wet or "crawfishy" as we say in Bama and Tennessee due to the lack of the cream patina on the die piece. Great find!!!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang girl, kick butt hunt! That die probably is a carved CW bullet soldier relic, kinda rare and an awesome keeper. Congrats and HH, Mike

S

seger98

Cool picture of the house, first dice I've seen like that, thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

blklab

Jul 30, 2008
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
White's DFX/Garrett Ace 250/Troy X2/DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Neat find "Nana". That dice is sooo cool. According to "warsawdaddy", you are good at finding neat
things. Congratulations. Doug (blklab) :thumbsup:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just Awesome Nana :thumbsup:

Attachments

• PB220001.JPG
    PB220001.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 2,155
  • PB220002.JPG
    PB220002.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 2,148

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic Nana another great day and love the pics the old house and the finds! The old house really looks like it was something special in its day!

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Wow!, very neat Nana,,, Congrats!...
This site just never ceases to amaze me,, you learn something new all the time...
I would have never even though of the CW soldiers doing something like even though I've seen so many other items they had made from those bullet...
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
civilman1 said:
Just Awesome Nana :thumbsup:

Civ,
You beat me to it buddy. :thumbsup:

Nana,
That dice is sooooooooooooooo cool. What a great find.
Congrats on all your finds & super pictures again.
Thanks,
MM

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
WOW great!!!! Civil War stuff is so cool. I keep hoping to accidentally come across a stray three-ringer here but I can't seem to find any.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread