watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The temps were in the 20's when I met up with Twistidd, TreasureFiend, Des Plaines Silver Bob,
Kimsdad and Skinny Puppy yesterday morning at a new hunting spot. The ground in all the open
grass areas of this site was still pretty well frozen so most of us headed into the leaf-covered forest
areas where the digging was not as difficult.

I started my hunt near some of the trail areas that were just inside forest and found the typical assortment
of aluminum trash along with some modern clad here and there. The deeper I got into the woods, the
"trashy" targets that I had been digging all morning started shifting from pull-tabs to shotgun shell heads :).
This was a good sign. . . at least I knew I was getting into areas that had some older activity.

DSC_6621.JPG

After an hour or two, my hands and feet were getting cold so I decided to head back to one of the picnic
shelters where a group of people had started a fire earlier. As I was making my way back, I was casually
swinging my detector near a large fallen tree when I got a solid quarter signal. While I was digging this target,
I would have bet money this was going to be another clad quarter. . . boy was I wrong. Sitting in the pile of dirt next
to the hole, I saw the reeded edge of a silver quarter :o When I picked it up and gently removed some of the
wet mud that was still caked on it's surface, I could see the tip of a wing under a cluster of stars. I then realized I
had just found my FIRST Barber Quarter. What makes this find really special for me, I found it while hunting
with a great bunch of friends :)

DSC_6620.JPG

In addition to the 1916-P Barber, a couple of other finds include a pot-metal "flag" lapel pin ???, a 1936 Wheat
and a partial piece of jewelry that has a small, opal-like stone.

Thanks for looking,
watercolor

Upvote 0

Jerry1NJ

Oct 23, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray pinpointer, Minelab CTX3030
Great finds!! I'm going out in the freezing cold also in a few. :thumbsup:

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A big congrats on the Barber Quarter and a great hunt with friends! HH, Mike

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Handful of Clad = Nice.
Trinkets & Wheat Cent= Nice.
Hunting with Friends = Nice.
1916 Barber = Now that's what it's all about. Good Job!

P

pippinwhitepaws

america first political party pin? founded in 1940...not the new one.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:-X I'd never make it in Illinois, WC! :D Love how you so casually mention that it's 20 degrees, the ground is frozen and you don't go back to warm up for TWO hours! :-X :D

Beautiful Barber though! 8) Sounds like you all had a fun time! :thumbsup:

Nana :wink:

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was only fitting that you come up with the nicest coin for the day since you planned the outing.

W C

Congrats on the big first.

SWEET FIND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Nana40 said:
:-X I'd never make it in Illinois, WC! :D Love how you so casually mention that it's 20 degrees, the ground is frozen and you don't go back to warm up for TWO hours! :-X :D
Gotta dress in layers, Nana! Up here, we have such crazy weather swings we have our coats on the outside & layer down to our swimming suits! :tard: :tongue3:

Thanks for the great hunt, Mark! It was a fun day! SkinnyPuppy found that 1919 Merc & Fiend found that cool bottle, but you found the best coin! Congrats on your first Barber Q!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Neil

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great time!!!! Man that Barber is sweet, congrats!!!!! Thank god somebody started that fire, I WAS FREEZING. There was some great finds, that place has got to have more goodies!!!!

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008
Wow - Out in the field while the temperature is in the 20s. I am sure it was worth it. Congrats on the Barber.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow now that is a great looking Barber. Congrats watercolor. Keep up the good finds.

Burdie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread