Recovery Recovery Five Pence and a Navitimer

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Oh Boy! What A DAY! Day 3 of 3 off from work.. and aside from getting dressed up and going to get pictures take for a Christmas Card (dragged nearly kicking and screaming by my wife of course).. and not much else on the agenda for the day. Yeah, it was a little cold, and the ground was a bit damp from all the rain we have gotten here the last two days in Central Kentucky. So, with a fresh dose of Ibuprofen in my system and the neck/shoulder not hurting too badly, I grabbed my detector and headed off to hunt a few playgrounds and tot lots in some nearby parks.
I figured even if the grass was damp (read -sopping wet), the woodchips would be a bit more forgiving. And, they were. I have not hunted too many tot lots since early in the spring, before the weather warmed up and the parks became populated nearly every day. Today, with it damp and cold, and the kiddies still in school, I had a perfect window of opportunity. I found some rather interesting items too. There were the usual suspects of course, pull tabs, can slaw, etc etc.. and there were the miscellaneous odds and ends and bits of mystery metal. Not much in the way of bling.. one little bead, or "slider" maybe, I'm not sure what to call it. It's not gold, more like polished brass I think. Check it out..

11-25-08 008Rinocomp.JPG
11-25-08 010rhinosideend.JPG

I found a piece of a golf club.. ? Guess someone was having an off day or something and took it out on the poor unsuspecting putter.. I found a handle for a car (automobile anyway) window crank.. in the middle of a soccer field? Metal button, a piece of screen door or screen window frame, and a piece of pipe... oh and a watch back.. and a watch.

11-25-08 007otherstuff.jpg

Did I mention I found a watch? A very BIG Watch.. Never heard of this brand before, being the NOT so WORLD traveler that I am.. Ever hear of this brand before?

11-25-08 012watchFace.jpg

Does the Back cover help?

11-25-08 017navBack.jpg

11-25-08 018Navitimer.jpg

Now I did a little looking on the internet.. apparently this Breitling brand is quite expensive. Too bad I couldn't find this particular model listed anywhere. Cool Watch, too bad it's not running. According to the date on the chronometer, it quit working or at least stopped in May.. FIVE YEARS FROM NOW! <laughing>

I found a neat little foreign coin today too. It's about the size of a dime, almost exactly in fact, only thicker. I don't see a country of origin anywhere on the coin, but I figure it's a British coin. A five pence piece.

11-25-08 005fivepencecomp.JPG

... according to the web search I did, the current exchange rate for this coin makes it worth about 7 cents U.S. Oh well, another coin for my growing collection of foreign coins.
I found a whole pocket full of plastic bottle caps too.. these I saved for my wife, the coke rewards caps anyway. My wife puts the codes in on the web site and reaps the "coke rewards" for all kinds of neat stuff. <grin>

11-25-08 020caps.jpg

I had hunted two tot lot/playgrounds and was on my way to a third when driving through the campus of the University of Kentucky when I spotted a small park that was being renovated! All the playground equipment had been removed and new equipment was being installed.. the woodchips were all bulldozed or pushed off to one big pile on the side of the park. COOL! I pulled in and parked and got right to hunting along the pile. I had been there maybe ten minutes when I saw a tow truck pulling off with a truck that looked just like mine.. HOLY CRAP! IT WAS MINE!!!! HEY!
Running and shouting for all I was worth, I covered about 120 yards in near Olympic record time waving my metal detector in one hand and my drop cloth in the other trying to get the driver's attention. Whew! I did! He stopped. I asked him why he was towing my vehicle and he told me it was parked illegally. HUH? I asked him if it was or was NOT the parking area for the small park. "Uh, yeah, it is." He admitted.. but then said that he thought it was a vehicle belonging to a student. Apparently the students like to park there instead of designated parking spaces.. so they get towed. Well FINE! But I'm not a student, and I was NOT parked illegally! So.. he lowered the hydraulic lift on his tow and let me have my truck back.. in the middle of the freakin' street! ??? Now I'm trying to figure out how in the hell he got my ride picked up in the first place. He had me picked up from the front of my truck.. he would have had to pull my vehicle out from the rear first then hooked up from the front. All in less than ten minutes. SHEESH! Well, that pretty well put an end to hunting that little park.. <shudder> I decided that I would hit one more park a little closer to home and a LOT more Parking Friendly.
The last park was a bit more relaxing to say the least. I found some more clad, some more junk, a couple more pop bottle caps. Then I decided to call it a day. My neck/shoulder was starting to twinge a little and my stomach was growling. Time to head for home and start dinner. All in all I had a pretty good afternoon, three.. well.. almost four different little parks for a total of about two hours maybe two and a half hours of detecting. When I got home and cleaned up my finds and counted up all the coins.

11-25-08 001.jpg

$9.56 in clad, a big honkin' watch, some neat odds and ends.. and a much needed return to this ever so addictive hobby. Recovering treasures and artifacts. Recovering my sanity! <grin> Hope you all have a good week, a WONDERFUL and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!.. and as always..

Happy Hunting Everyone!

Frodov

Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Five year's from now ;D ;D That's Great.....At least the chip's are a little more forgiving on your shovel though!!It might be worth putting some clad into getting the Navit running again along with a new "lens"......Happy Thanksgiving to you and your's!!!!

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
that watch is a very expensive make :thumbsup:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
:o :o :o have you googled it yet £££££££££££££££

jayallday14

Jul 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Minelab Excal 1000
My parents have his and hers Breitlings at $2500 a pop!!!! Those are the cheap ones!! Very nice find if its real! Reason I say that is cause I am currently deployed and you can get just about anything counterfiet over here. Watches to handbags.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
shaun7 said:
:o :o :o have you googled it yet £££££££££££££££

Yeah Shaun, I've googled the watch.. found all kinds of Breitlings, even several different models of "Navitimers", but none exactly like this one I've found. The one I've found has or had five adjustment "studs", the only ones I've seen on the web sites that I've visited have maybe three studs on them. Perhaps this one is a "knock off" or counterfiet model, I wouldn't know one way or the other.
I wonder how much it would cost to have it repaired or maybe it just needs a new battery or something? <shrug>

Still a neat find though.. and this was NOT found in the woodchips by the way, it was out in the park proper.. in the grass near a very large tree. It must have been there for some time though as it was actually under the grass roots in the soil.

Happy Hunting!
Frodov

Pangus

Jul 2, 2005
Georgia
It is a knock off... Breitling is an awesome watch though...pilots get 'em....

I feel your pain...while playing golf, I found a Tag Heuer watch, that was whacked by a lawn mower, in a sand trap. It still worked, but was missing its back...they're expensive too...but this was a knock off also...you'll find CLOSE matches but thats why its a knock off.

Collymore

Nov 11, 2008
Trust me its not a real Breitling.

If it were it would still be working when you rewind it.

They are Swiss made and the factory keep record of every single watch that ever leaves the factory, contact them http://www.breitling.com/en/ to find the owner and get a nice reward maybe. They can also tell you if its a fake or not from the serial number.

If I lost my Breitling at a football field I swear I would not leave the field untill I found it again :)

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds.

I found a Breitling watch a few months back and it turned out to be a fake. The really thing would have sold new for 10K. It was still a thrill to find plus I found a 1856 large cent about ten feet away from the watch.

Happy hunting

NJ

upstatejay

Oct 6, 2008
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Frodov- Awesome watch. As others have pointed out, its expensive. First of all its a chronograph vs a 'watch'. Chronos have to be certified. If you find a dealer they can trace the seriel number for it and tell you the entire history. Once again, awesome find!

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Collymore said:
Trust me its not a real Breitling.

If it were it would still be working when you rewind it.

They are Swiss made and the factory keep record of every single watch that ever leaves the factory, contact them http://www.breitling.com/en/ to find the owner and get a nice reward maybe. They can also tell you if its a fake or not from the serial number.

If I lost my Breitling at a football field I swear I would not leave the field untill I found it again :)

Thanks for the link Collymore. I'll have to check it out.

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, stop puttering around and get back out there. You left a bunch of targets I bet.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
duggap said:
Ok, stop puttering around and get back out there. You left a bunch of targets I bet.

No Doubt duggap! I've been itching to get back out and do some more hunting since... well.. since I put my detector away after the last hunt. <grin> Of course some things took priority over my time however... like work, then there's the holidays, and *GASP* putting up the Christmas tree and decorations! (MAJOR item on the Honey-Do list).. Tomorrow, however, provided it's not raining, I'm going to get out and at very least hit a few school playgrounds that have not been searched since early spring. Unless I stay up too late watching this Cursed football game tonight.. you know.. U.K. (University of Kentucky) vs. U.T. (Vols). You know, rain and all, it's still Phil's last game. Gotta see how that turns out. Go Cats! <grin>
Hope you and everyone else out there in TNet Land had a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday! And, as always...

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice caps, they'res nothing wrong with entering them!! haha

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
HolyDiver said:
Nice caps, they'res nothing wrong with entering them!! haha

Yeah... One man's trash is another man's... uh.. brownie points with his wife.. <grin>

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
geo4472 said:
check here knock off worth around $200 http://watchesellers.biz/Breitling/ but hey its still $200 dollars and still not a bad find

Yeah.. that looks like the one I found. Too bad it doesn't work.. some of the arms are missing on the smaller dials. <shrug> Still, it was neat to find it. <grin>

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions