found a celler hole in the woods and found not to much in a short hunt

bourassa5

Nov 8, 2008
i found a cellar hole and the maps show it being their in 1850 and 1890 and gone in 1950. it was intersting becuase it was fairley large, almost seamed like it would have been a big barn and the walls were 6-7 feet high but their was nothing on one side it was build up (or maby it was dug into the side of a hill) the cellar hole is on what used to be an old dirt road and i was able to find a caved in well. found nothign but shotgun shells and nails. anyone have any kind of suggestions to how to hunt the hold cellar holes and if its possible their is just nothign there? it just gets really agreavating digging up nail after nail on iffy signals. any thoughts would be great.

Upvote 0

Golden1

Bronze Member
May 2, 2008
Pittsfield ma
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM IV,Whites M-6
bourassa5 said:
i found a cellar hole and the maps show it being their in 1850 and 1890 and gone in 1950. it was intersting becuase it was fairley large, almost seamed like it would have been a big barn and the walls were 6-7 feet high but their was nothing on one side it was build up (or maby it was dug into the side of a hill) the cellar hole is on what used to be an old dirt road and i was able to find a caved in well. found nothign but shotgun shells and nails. anyone have any kind of suggestions to how to hunt the hold cellar holes and if its possible their is just nothign there? it just gets really agreavating digging up nail after nail on iffy signals. any thoughts would be great.
Hammer that spot! Full metal mode and dig everything.sooner or later you will run out of junk and the good stuff will start to come up ;D

Never give up :thumbsup:

G1

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
BuckleBoy and I have dug around a few cellars on the farm here and have had the same results.Not much comes out of them.Keep trying though, eventually you will find the goodies.Have you found a house site near the cellar yet?

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Dillinger said, "I rob banks because that's where the money is."

Most people were dirt poor, and didn't have much money. And they sure didn't lose what they had.

Except: Kids play with stuff and lose it. People stash stuff and die or have a stroke. You're looking for a small percentage of sites, but without any research, you are just there to have fun.

So have it. No one ever said you'd get rich doing this.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be patient. Sure that that's not what you wanted to hear, but you'll kick yourself if you hear that someone else dug something nice from that site. Good luck!

OP
OP
B

bourassa5

Nov 8, 2008
i am not sure if this was a barn or not bacause it was so big but their were no houses on any maps that even came remotly close to this cellar hole so i am thinking this is where they lived...

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cellarholes are my favorite, bourassa. Don't give up on it.

My first hunt at a new cellarhole is usually just a random wandering around hunt. I just try to scope out where everything was, trying to imaging where the outhouse was, where the entrance to the house was, where the barn was and the path they might have taken to the barn. I have found coins close to the hole itself. I don't dig everything....only the signals that are above iron.

The next hunt is when I get a little more methodical and start gridding the area around the hole. I never hunt in the bottom of the hole itself except for a quick pass through. That is usually filled with old iron. The further away from the house you get the better it is to distinguish the signals.

Anyways, work in a grid pattern back and forth making sure you over lap your swings. You WILL find something worth posting.

I don't usually spend much time at the barn. Most of my time is spent around the house and the area between the barn and the house.

Good luck. Don't give up too soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions