Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Visiting my daughter in Pflugerville, Texas over Thanksgiving, I was directed to one of the oldest parks in Texas or so it is advertised. Anyway it is not much bigger than a postage stamp and has a small kiddie toy area with chips. I had my little Tesoro Silver Max with me as I often tote a detector even when I travel. So I mosied up to the little park and set out to find.....oh, I don't know, some Texas Civil War buttons, or maybe some of Santa Anna's troops gear or hidden treasure? What I found was 22 cents in clad, an aluminum conduit washer and a piece of aluminum tie down wire for a chain length fence! Oh, and I forgot to say that at about 2" there was a 6" layer of asphalt and gravel! So, now the truth is out. One of the oldest parks in Texas was once a parking lot! Well, if a dozer ever comes in and scrapes off the top foot of cover there just might be any number of real treasures to be found. For now, I didn't bring my jackhammer but did hear a few interesting returns deeper than I was willing to dig. Sometimes it just don't work out. So let that be a lesson to all you newbies who may become discouraged, even us, we, (still sounds right), old timers have plenty of bummed out days. I'm an old timer , Oh yeah, been at it for 3 years now! M ::) nty

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
bummer. at least you tried, it could have been a real winner. one of these days something like this spot is going to pay off bigtime. :wink:

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can sure fine brass tokens using Indian signs thats for sure. Good luck on that hog. :thumbsup:

Burdie

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Monty,

always have that detector ready, never know
when a good opportunity will come up.

How much you want for the aluminum conduit
washer? :wink: ;D

have a good un..........
SHERMANVILLE

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah probably was the oldest park then some idiot decided to update the town so made a parking lot the oops we need to save the old it is cheaper to dump dirt from some where on it then to dig up the apshalt!

I tried to do that once bummer but, ya never know what is around the edges or in the fill dirt! ;D

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
I know the feeling about deeper targets, Monty. Under the woodchips in my area is a tough black tarp, with gravel under it. No way to recover a target.

DM

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digginman, don't tell anyone I told you, but if you carry a real sharp knife that black tarp opens right up! Of course you must cover your sins. And under the tarp the first thing you will find is about a half inch of mold! Don't know what they are trying to preserve, but the tarp turns the chips into floating chips in a heavy rain. Keep at 'em, Monty

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Thats a bummer...but heck you got to visit the kids and detect...great day! As far as old timers ....we love them! Whether they find treasure or not!

detectoraddict

Aug 3, 2004
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, DFX, F-75
AT least you got to detect :) I'm looking at 4 inches of snow on the ground here!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
a real sharp knife that black tarp opens right up! .... :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
civilman1, I said not to tell anyone! :-[ :wink: M ;D nty

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
NEED POST HOLE DIGGERS. AND A GOOD PIN-POINTER FOR THOSE AREAS. JUST GO THROUGH THE MESS. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o. HOPE YOUR NEXT HUNT IS BETTER. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread