We got robbed

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
A nice day here in the northeast today so my father and I headed out into the woods to some old cellar holes that we had found on an old map. After walking about a half mile into the woods we found one of them and hunted for about an hour.....nothing. So we trudged further into no man's land and found cellar hole number two. After looking for another hour all I had to show for it was a pocket spill of 2 quarters, 3 pennies and two dimes (ALL MODERN COINS!!!). Nothing old was found at all. We concluded that someone had obviously hit this area before us and had worked the sites clean. There are a couple more cellar holes further in the woods but I think we can assume that those have been cleaned out as well. Oh well, nothing to show you folks today. I hope you did better than us. :'(

Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Competition's getting tough Joe.....Hope this isn't the case.I still wouldn't count these site's out though.Never Hunted out..... :thumbsup: Take care!!!!

Golden1

Bronze Member
May 2, 2008
Pittsfield ma
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM IV,Whites M-6
civilman1 said:
Competition's getting tough Joe.....Hope this isn't the case.I still wouldn't count these site's out though.Never Hunted out..... :thumbsup: Take care!!!!
Civil is right NEVER HUNTED OUT :wink:

phantomfinder

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2008
Denver , Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's DFX , Ace 150 , Prizm 2
Assume nothing , theres always something left behide . Just look at the site & find where poeple would have walk or where the out house was. theres something there , you just have too look harder ;D Like all the books say theres always something left behide , You very get every thing :thumbsup: Good luck hunting........

B

BIG61AL

It's a sad fact...every decent old coin pulled from the ground never goes back. There might be x number of coins at a site and once they're gone they're gone forever. No more silver coins are being lost now. Fifty years from now the best thing you hope to find is a copper lincoln cent...mondern zinc cent will corrode and be lost forever. quarters and dime are nickle/copper clad and will look like crap after a long dirt nap. nickles begin to corrode within weeks and will also look like crap. What a bummer.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BIG61AL said:
It's a sad fact...every decent old coin pulled from the ground never goes back. There might be x number of coins at a site and once they're gone they're gone forever. No more silver coins are being lost now. Fifty years from now the best thing you hope to find is a copper lincoln cent...mondern zinc cent will corrode and be lost forever. quarters and dime are nickle/copper clad and will look like crap after a long dirt nap. nickles begin to corrode within weeks and will also look like crap. What a bummer.
Same way this side of the puddle, some fields are cleaned out, no matter what anyone says "no fields are cleaned out"... After searching the field for 11 years, first year many many many finds, 11th year with 4 guys with detectors, nothing. The last 2 or three years only one or two coins. So they DO get cleaned out, just takes a number of years...

OP
OP
incajoe

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Thanks for the encouragement guys.
I know what you guys are saying about places never being hunted out and for the most part I can agree with you but there are certain times when you know you have to throw in the towel and move on to another spot and this was one of those times. Anyone who hunts old colonial foundations knows that typically you will find anywhere from 0-5 coins around these places and maybe a few interesting relics. You don't get the buildup of good targets like you do on public land. So it's easy to say that a place is never hunted out when you hunt public land there are literally hundreds of good targets in the ground but this just isn't the case with hunting around old foundations. We have hit a total of 4 foundations which are all on the same abandoned stretch of road. So far we have not found one non iron item at any of these foundations. This has to tell you something. And we pulled out all of our tricks too by searching across the road, toward the nearest water source, in straight lines from the house to openings in the stone walls etc.... There just wasn't anything there. Someone had to have spent a lot of time there in the past and recovered most of what was there. I can't see the sense in spending another whole day and trekking into the woods nearly a mile to hunt two more foundations. I'm sure that whomever searched the ones we have already been to didn't stop short and not search the others further in.
Plus I have a growing list of foundations to visit so I will just move on to the next one. Stay tuned for more goodies because the next spot is always the "mother lode" (in my mind anyway!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread