Wax Seal Stamp - My First

*Dig-Dug*

Aug 13, 2008
Herndon, VA - Kill Devil Hills, NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Bandito II
It's been awhile since I last posted but it does'nt mean I've not been hunting. The yard where I found the Jetton a month or so ago, has given me a few more goodies. The signals are fewer but progressively deeper so I guess I'm doing something right. Dug a few Silver Necklace? Beads, a dog of a Pfennig (can't tell if it's 1708, 1738, or 1798), a two piece button with a bird, a silver two piece button with Bagpipes, the face of a button (at first I thought it was an old bottle cap but the face is silver), and a nice silver ring with an onyx setting. Of course I am still getting the usual piles of coins (i've dug more than a thousand coins since the beginning of September). The best find from this yard to date has to be the Wax Seal. It is a first for me.

The Jetton found several weeks ago
DSCN3096.JPG DSCN3096.JPG
The Wax Seal Stamp
DSCN3093.JPG DSCN3330.JPG
DSCN3331.JPG
The 17?? Pfennig
DSCN3341.JPG DSCN3342.JPG
The Bird and Bagpipe buttons
DSCN3343.JPG DSCN3336.JPG
The Silver beads and button face
DSCN3335.JPG DSCN3334.JPG
The Silver Ring
DSCN3332.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3292.JPG
    DSCN3292.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 799
Upvote 0

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
That silver ring is real nice and old. 25 or so years ago I found one like that in a real old park. I knew it was an antique. Like a dope I sold it at our flea market for $18.00. That was dumb,but than I have sold off most of my best finds. It had a perfect unscratched onix in it. :tard: Mike.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Update - Wax Seal Stamp - My First

OBX Slumlord said:
Jimmy(PA) said:
Now thats cool, id have to try out the seal on some envelopes. ;D

OK you convinced me - I cleaned the seal and played in the wax. The Stamp really leaves an impression ;D. Initially I thought this was a whimsical stamp of someone jumping rope on a log or ball but after showing it around to people who are smarter than me, the "Rope" is more likely the Greek letter OMEGA. For the time period, late 1600's early 1700's (thanks to Bavaria Mike and Crusader), It likely has a religious connotation. The initials on it are "R" and "K". So far, that is all I currently know about the stamp. Anybody care to speculate further?

I'm beginning to doubt my first hunch although still possible (which I based on the 'look & feel'). It clearly is, as you state, a man balancing on a ball whilst jumping a rope or carring an unusual shaped balancing bar. So its an entertainer of some kind which makes me think it could be later than the 1600s. Very unusual & worthy of further research. You may find you have one of the earliest entertainers seals known. Probably from a famous circus family or the like. Find a seal expert & careful using that putty or wax again as it can harm the object.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread