German WWII defensive position hunt...Sundays hunt, about 2 hours worth...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
German WWII defensive position hunt...Sunday's hunt, about 2 hours worth...

Thanks all for the nice replies! I got out on three fields Sunday afternoon, sunny and around 35F/1.5C, spent about 30 minutes on two new fields and about one hour on an old field I have hunted for many years. I got skunked besides a small iron buckle and a piece of broken pewter harness attachment. Had a good time anyway. HH, Mike

I was talking to my detecting buddy last week and he said he wanted to do a forest hunt. I had been recently given a WWII German defensive site near by to detect, our museum curator took me on a first hand tour of the site several weeks ago. I called my buddy, filled him in on the details, the biggest detail about this site is hot ammunition. He was all for it even though it was a bit windy with 30F/-1C temps. We had a nice 2.5 hour hunt and both of us found a few interesting relics along with loads of German and American ammo casings. Must have been a skirmish here and the Americans came through this area during WWII. Here are a few pictures of the site, one of several trenches.
29Nov08Trench1.jpg

Another trench, we did not find much around them.
29Nov08Trench2.jpg

A foxhole connected to a trench.
29Nov08Foxhole.jpg

This looks to have been a tank ditch, nothing interesting found around it.
29Nov08Tankdich.jpg

My detecting buddy, probably digging another WWII brass ammo casing.
29Nov08Detbud.jpg

My buddy found a religious pendant, an 1876 coin and a nice brass 5 gram weight. Here are my finds. What I thought was a locket when I dug it turned out to be a pipe lid. A spoon I pulled from the roots, forgot my hand saw by the way.
29Nov08pipspoo.jpg

A hand full of bullets that made it to the pouch. Many are deformed, some live and some missing the bullet with an intact primer. The story about the site is, after WWII, the dangerous ammo and such were put into a pile and blown up.
29Nov08Bullets.jpg

A few buttons, left a late 1800s button and right I am not sure of.
29Nov08Buttons.jpg

The date side of 3 coins I found, 1943, 1941 and an emergency coin minted by a local town in 1921.
29Nov08CoinsD.jpg

The other side of the coins.
29Nov08CoinsO.jpg

Since Christmas is coming, thought I would show off my wife’s talent. This is a wreath for the 4 weeks of advent with candles. She does an awesome job working with dried flowers, bouquets and such. This wreath is made from pine, bushes and shrubbery from the backyard, smells very nice and is beautiful for the season. She must have made over 20 of these for friends and family, several door wreaths as well. I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy Hunting. Mike
29Nov08Kranz.jpg

Upvote 0

Collymore

Nov 11, 2008
Re: German WWII defensive position hunt...Sunday's hunt, about 2 hours worth...

There must be lots and lots of nice places to go in Bavaria :)

I love those pics of the trenches.

When driving to Poland I made a rest stop and saw an old German defensive line in the woods near Poland, unfortunately I dont own a detector :).

Keep up the nice work!

DannyBrooks

Jan 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites MX6

Dude...BURRRRRR. Fab and you da man.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for sharing Mike good post.

Burdie

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker

PICTURES AND FINDS WERE VERY NICE. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany

cool stuff! You would be surprised that you happen to stumble upon a lot of trenches around here in Germany that were fighting positions. Always lot of shell casings around. I think the coolest stuff I found was some grenades troops got tired of lugging around, took them apart, and buried them in the wall of the foxholes they stayed in. Always tons of shrapnel too :)

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good hunt!

Must be fascinating to live in the Fatherland and hunt it.

When I went there for the first time, I had an overwhelming sense of "being home".

Great wreath by your wife too!

Weihnachtsgrüße!

R

rammjäger

Hello Mike,
I congratulate you for the cool finds :thumbsup:
Merry Xmas to all from Germany ! :icon_sunny: :icon_santa:
Mike

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool post Mike, I guess you have to be careful digging some of those targets. Tell the Mrs. nice work on the arrangements and Merry Christmas to you all. Tim

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice Post Mike, I always enjoy the relics you find. Be careful in the new year and Merry Christmas and
May your new year be full of Great Relics!

HH, Ringfinder

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions