Research Really Pays. 1917 Mercury Dime Pop Out Ring Wow. Plus Some Others.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hey everyone,

Just got back Friday, from Ca. Had a great time and glad to be back in the NE though. I really love this part of the country compared to other places. Ca is new compared to where I am at. I did see a few nice parks out there that I would have hunted if I had time.

Well you know me I was ready to get back out and do some swinging after 2 weeks of no hunting. I went straight back to a old park I found a few weeks back on Saturday. Me my son and brother had a really slow day there.

We ended up with just a few wheats here and there and nothing special. Well Sunday came by and it was raining and cold but that wasn't gonna keep me in. I went back to my drawing board of sites I have researched and decided to go give another old park tucked back in a old neighborhood a shot.

Well finally I get there after getting lost a few times. I pull up and see this beautiful old grove tucked back down over a hill side. I decided to start here. Within minutes I pulled up the first wheat. It was just me and my oldest boy today he is 7.

He was swinging his ace 250 finding clad and tabs here and there. While I was pulling out wheats 6 to 8 inches deep. Well after a hr I get a nice high 70's tone thinking another wheat right. I get down about 8 inches and a nice balled up clod falls out. I take a minute to examine the find and realize exactly what I had a pop out coin ring.

It takes alot to excite me with a find. I can tell you I was excited by this one. I even called my boy over to have a look. I always wanted to find a pop out coin and today was the day. Even better it was crafted into a ring.

I then knew for sure the site was gonna produce. Lots of trash items there witch is a good sign. I continued to hunt and came home with a nice batch of finds. I only spent 2 hrs there and came home with 15 wheats a 51 rosie a 1889 indian and some cool relics.

I haven't even scratched the surface of this grove yet. I usually don't post until I have alot of finds built up. But I couldn't wait to show you all this really cool and rare dig. I think it's rare atleast. I've seen pop out barbers and cuff links but never a ring.

The coin is dated 1917. I couldn't get a good shot of the date. It is on a bend. Hope you all enjoy the story and pic of this awesome relic. I guess you know where I will be this weekend.

Thanks for looking,

HH Jer

Attachments

• new old grove 004.jpg
    new old grove 004.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,392
  • new old grove 001.jpg
    new old grove 001.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,385
  • new old grove 005.jpg
    new old grove 005.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,397
  • new old grove 003.jpg
    new old grove 003.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,403
  • new old grove 006.jpg
    new old grove 006.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,405
  • new old grove 002.jpg
    new old grove 002.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,411
  • new old grove 011.jpg
    new old grove 011.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,392
  • new old grove 012.jpg
    new old grove 012.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,375
  • new old grove 016.jpg
    new old grove 016.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,387
  • new old grove 007.jpg
    new old grove 007.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,365
  • new old grove 008.jpg
    new old grove 008.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,356
  • new old grove 009.jpg
    new old grove 009.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,357
Upvote 0

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, love the pop-out ring!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Old_Okie

Jun 14, 2007
Beauty of a ring, and lots of other neat stuff too. I like the old broadhead.

Old_Okie

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Those are some cool finds Jer! :thumbsup:
Now I know what a pop out ring is too.
Mike

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds Jer. That ring is cool. I know you'll be popping out many more goodies from the grove site. :thumbsup:

Kevin Bozard

Aug 7, 2008
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Great finds Jer, what a unique site you have there to hunt.

mikewaz said:
Now I know what a pop out ring is too.

Include me on that list too, this is the first time I've seen one of those. :icon_jokercolor:

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG! Jer!!! What a stunning find! :o I've never seen one of those in a ring style. And the band design is beautiful! It took someone a lot of time to make that beauty. I'da been excited to share that find too! :D
Glad you had a great trip! And I can't believe that boy of yours is already 7! :o Tell him Nana says Happy birthday!!! :occasion13: :occasion15: :occasion13:

Awesome bunch of finds!
Nana :)

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jer, That is a real cool ring, nice find. Glad you can still get out, I'm buried in snow here in Corry, only a few hours north of you.

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Thanks alot everyone,

I spent alot of hrs the last few weeks studying some great maps I came across. It takes alot of hrs to match things up. I spent about 50 hrs on the computer and came up with 10 new sites to hunt here. Don't know if all will produce.

But the first two sites have shown promise. I love to come by these unique once in a life time finds. Really adds alot of character to my collection. I'm trying to put together a massive collection one day. I'm getting there.

Nana, it was my fault in the spelling. I ment to say he is 7 yrs old. To show and tell other people how younge one can be and what kind of unit they could possibly handle. He is actually gonna be 8 here feb 8th. I'm starting to get old lol. He is finally after a yr with the ace starting to find a token or wheat here and there.

He gets so mad still when he can't find a target. He also gets discouraged really easily. But all in all I am proud of him for 7. One day he is gonna be a great hunter.

Thanks again all,

HH Jer

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
what a great ring, no wonder you were excited! first time i've heard of a pop-out ring. congratulations!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Excellent ring! That research pays off, usually; persistence helps too! It was ugly around here Sunday; anyone who got out has my respect :wink:. It was ugly in Foxborough, too, and that paid off 8).

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
Cool ring and sounds like you found some great spots there to detect.
Time with your 7 year old is the greatest treasure you found though. ;D

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You learn so much stuff on here Jer.....I've never heard of such a thing.Good choice of site,look's like you're only getting better then :thumbsup:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, Jer. That ring really puts the icing on the cake...I love it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:wink: RR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread