Counterfit King George II Copper?

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this should be posted here, if not please move it to the appropriate area ;D

Here is a close up of the King George II copper I posted a couple days ago. I am thinking that it may be a counterfit. They forged KG's a lot in the colonies. Some were stamped and others were cast. Sometimes you can see the cast vent and fill areas on the rim edges.

This one is quite thick, has a rough cast finish, very 'worn' appearance but the rough cast is crisp, it is mis-shapen and you can see the file marks around the rim edges. There is a dot on the obverse at 10:00 and 3:00 just to the right and left of the head respectively. Im am not sure what they are but could be stamp or casting defects. The date appears to be 1754 or 34 which falls in line with a KG II although lots of times they put only part of the date on them to make them look worn. Any thoughts on this? It just does not look like any of my other ones. Thought you may find this interesting. I can get you more pics if necessary 8)

Ed-

Attachments

• Dsc04554.jpg
    Dsc04554.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 505
  • Dsc04555.jpg
    Dsc04555.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 501
  • Dsc04556.jpg
    Dsc04556.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 519
  • Dsc04557.jpg
    Dsc04557.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 486
  • Dsc04558.jpg
    Dsc04558.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 502
  • Dsc04559.jpg
    Dsc04559.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 487
Upvote 0

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
COUNTERFIT ARE NOT IT IS A GOOD FIND. BEST OF LUCK. :thumbsup:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ed, we have quite a few cast counterfeit KGII, and some with nice file marks on the edges, so no doubt it is one of the cast counterfeits. I believe up to 40% of KGII that circulated were counterfeits.(Ref: Forgotten Coins of the North American Colonies).

Your coin appears to be a Young Head design, making it 1729-39, so if you think you see a 4 than 1734 it be. :wink:

Don

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice find,

Real or a fake. I'm gonna say fake. A nice one to. Man money must have been hard to come by in those days. I have found a good amount of LC here in p.a. But the foreighn and colonial coins have been rare.

HH Jer

spanishsilver

Dec 26, 2004
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS, Tesoro Silver, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds Ed...That is surely counterfeit...Cool finds anyway though...Good Luck

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a great find! I see a lot of descriptive words like "fake" in these types of posts, and I think that is a bit unrepresentative. The word implies it is a museum shop souvenir, when in fact these early counterfeits tell a story. It is a story of times when there was not enough coinage available in the colonies and the young United States. These coins were manufactured to meet that demand. Although the counterfeits were illegal, most merchants looked the other way and accepted the coins.

Congrats on finding a terrific, historically significant coin!!!
Neil

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
ya what neil said! heres my 1740 king george. willy.

Attachments

• scan0007.jpg
    scan0007.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 244
OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
dfx willy said:
ya what neil said! heres my 1740 king george. willy.

Sweet find Willy. I love coppers!

OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Thank You Everyone

Thank you to all for your interest in this post. I am quite pleased that you all agree it is a counterfit. Finding a real one makes me happy but finding a piece of history like this may be a once in a lifetime experience for me. I have read a lot about these counterfit coins and always wanted a piece of history like this. I have read that almost 1/2 :-X of the King George coppers in the colones in the mid 1750's were counterfit. I am very fortunate to live in NH and for the opportunity to hunt on local properties of such generous folks. This piece will proudly be displayed in my token display case but with a powerful story to be told 8) Thanks again for all your help.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is interesting to read the posts from those who do not yet realize that a counterfeit is to most more desirable than a regal. This site serves to educate!

Nice find!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
It is interesting to read the posts from those who do not yet realize that a counterfeit is to most more desirable than a regal. This site serves to educate!

Nice find!

You're Danged Right!

This is a Great find.

:thumbsup:

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Re: Thank You Everyone

Ed-NH said:
Thank you to all for your interest in this post. I am quite pleased that you all agree it is a counterfit. Finding a real one makes me happy but finding a piece of history like this may be a once in a lifetime experience for me. I have read a lot about these counterfit coins and always wanted a piece of history like this. I have read that almost 1/2 :-X of the King George coppers in the colones in the mid 1750's were counterfit. I am very fortunate to live in NH and for the opportunity to hunt on local properties of such generous folks. This piece will proudly be displayed in my token display case but with a powerful story to be told 8) Thanks again for all your help.
Yeah Ed when I found my counterfeit Draped bust dollar not so long ago I was well aware that the find was special and not to down it because it was fake. Keep up the great work :icon_king:
Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread