IRON Brigade: SEATED HALF DOLLAR and a Complete MUSKET LOCK PLATE!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All!

Got up this morning and got a call from HB who was jonesin' for a hunt after his spur and eagle button on Wednesday. Took a look at the truck thermometer and figured it would be a nice day to dig a few holes. :P

00000.jpg

So we set out for the site, bringing the probe so we could open up the privy too. ;D

When we got there, we did some probing for the privy, and indeed hit glass. :) We opened up a hole and started finding busted up china and bits of glass. So the hole got wider....and deeper... (We'd already asked the owner if this was o.k. and gotten the go-ahead on the privy dig.) Here's a photo of DiggerGirl down in there:

DG.jpg

We took turns digging, and picked up our detectors and swung when we weren't working the privy. Here's HB gettin' it dug. ;D

HB.jpg

We soon figured out that we were in a burn pit--we dug down to clay and found only charred items, a brass spoon, a harmonica reed plate, and broken china and stoneware. Few bottles, and not much worth reconstructing. :-\ So we covered 'er in and kept detecting.

My very first signal of the day was a good one. It was an overload--so I knew it was big, or shallow, or both...so I cut a big plug. Well let me say that we dig so few silver coins out here that it takes a second for it to sink in when we find one. What I wasn't prepared for was the SIZE of this one coming out of the ground. I was thinking "Nah--it can't be" when I bent over to get a closer look:

Z 000.jpg

My first instinct was "Cut Spanish Silver!" as I looked at the find--and when HB asked what I found, I think I said something like just a CUT SPANISH COIN. As I looked at the coin more closely, I realized it said "Half Dollar" on it! :o It is an 1858-O Seated HALF!

Z 001a.jpg

Folks, it's been quite a few years since my last Seated Half find, and I am Thrilled.

We kept pounding the site, finding toe taps, organ reeds, harmonica parts, clock parts, and lantern tops. I dug a wierd, flattened/cut minieball closer to the cellar hole--all the while watching the Iron pile grow by the truck. (I know there's 40 lbs there from the hunt today.)

Then as darkness approaches, HB yells at me from across the site. I can see him holding up something in his hand--and I immediately knew what it was--a complete musket lock plate!

LockplateFront.jpg

Folks, I have never seen one of these dug before. I've dug pieces before, but no dice on a complete lock plate. The best part of this one is the condition--with some Slow electrolysis and a little luck, we might be able to read some markings.

Incredible hunt today, but I am Beat to Death. At least I can feel my fingers now. :tard:

So here is a shot of my finds for the day, along with HB's lock plate. If anyone can identify the model of gun this piece is from, please let us know. :thumbsup:

Z 100.jpg

The finds cleaned, and close-ups of some of the goodies:

ZZ1.jpg

ZZ3.jpg

ZZ2a.jpg

And a BIG CONGRATULATIONS to HB on this one. Good huntin' with you today, buddy. :thumbsup:

ZZ5.jpg

ZZ6.jpg

And that's part of the reason we dig all the Iron. :wink:

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Man thats cool maybe you can find some marking on the gun part. Do you reckon that silver was cut intentionaly?

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TEXAN Connection said:
Man thats cool maybe you can find some marking on the gun part. Do you reckon that silver was cut intentionaly?

I'm hoping for a marking on the lock plate.

Hard to tell with the silver--but the field has not been plowed before. We found too many fragile items in great condition for it to have been plowed, so I'd say it was intentionally cut.

-Buckles

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice $.35 piece BB. That would have bought a weeks worth of groceries back then. You guys had a good day. Nice lockplate. I have dug only one in 13 years.HH.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Man oh man...Nice digs right there...WTG guys... :thumbsup: jgas

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an exciting hunt! 8) Seeing those stunning finds makes me wanna kick myself for staying in today cause it was only 38 degrees. :P :D

Just WoW!!!!

Nana :wink:

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Holy smokes! Those finds are AWESOME!!!! The detail on that seated half is amazing! Way to go!!!!!!!

If I plan a trip to Kentucky next year, will you guys adopt me for a day or two :)

Jim

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, another group of awesome finds. I want to say too bad about that seated half being cut but it is still a very nice find. Way to go! That musket lock plate is in pretty good shape too. I've only found one of those in 30 + years of hunting and yours is in much better shape. Again, very nice!!!

DANGLANGLEY

DONinPA

Nov 8, 2008
great finds.. what do you think the piece is with all the sprockets? Asking because i found the same thing and thought it was just scrap from a watch or clock but maybe I'm wrong..

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great post, sorry the privy dig did not produce more, but good experience I am sure. Today must have been the day for mutilated coins, you half, Chris's NJ copper, and Doug's Half Dime. LOL.

The find of the day is without a doubt the musket lock plate, I sure hope that does clean up well, it should and that if there is any numbering or lettering on it, than time give a big hoot. :)

Don

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Congrats, those are some mighty nice finds. I dig privies too, but always avoided country privies. Never seemed to find much in them, they always seemed to dig shallow pits and dump their glass elsewhere. Cincinnatti has provided me with lots of nice glass. Have you ever checked out privydigger.com? I dig with those guys sometimes. Do you have any luck in those country pits? A seated half sure beats a Franklin half. The cut is just another piece of history as far as I'm concerned. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks, Steve

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Looks like it was a great day for the Iron Brigade and some sweet finds!! Congrats on the Half, nice and a shame that a coin so nice looking was cut!! Impressed by the musket lock plate!!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
Nice $.35 piece BB. That would have bought a weeks worth of groceries back then. You guys had a good day. Nice lockplate. I have dug only one in 13 years.HH.

Thank you for the kind reply. I have only dug One other Seated Half in 16 years.

Best Wishes,

BB

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DONinPA said:
great finds.. what do you think the piece is with all the sprockets? Asking because i found the same thing and thought it was just scrap from a watch or clock but maybe I'm wrong..

It is an old clock. Looks like the thing broke and was tossed out in one piece. Usually we find one plate from a clock like that, and no gears.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana40 said:
What an exciting hunt!  8) Seeing those stunning finds makes me wanna kick myself for staying in today cause it was only 38 degrees.  :P  :D

Just WoW!!!!

Nana  :wink:

Bundle up and Get Diggin, Nana!  :thumbsup:

DANGLANGLEY said:
WOW, another group of awesome finds. I want to say too bad about that seated half being cut but it is still a very nice find. Way to go!  That musket lock plate is in pretty good shape too. I've only found one of those in 30 + years of hunting and yours is in much better shape. Again, very nice!!!

DANGLANGLEY

When ya dig a Seated Half, you can't really complain I guess.  When I saw how great the condition was, I though it...but still Very happy.  :)

I am most impressed with the condition of the lock plate--I haven't seen one posted anywhere in better shape.  Heck, sometimes ya can't even identify them for the rust.  HB has a BIG find there, and a Great display piece.

VERMONTPACKRAT said:
Imagine how neat it would be to find the other part to the Seated Half 8)

VPR

Trust me, I tried.  And I will probably make a trip back to try again.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Today must have been the day for mutilated coins, you half, Chris's NJ copper, and Doug's Half Dime. LOL.
Don

:sign10: :occasion14: ;D
Good one Don. ;D :thumbsup:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB,
Another great hunt. Congrats to IB. :thumbsup:
I can see why you would of thought "cut Spanish silver" on that coin. What a cool find. Another coin find with character. Way to go.

Can't wait to see the musket lock plate after clean up. Congrats on a fantastic find HB. :icon_king:

I tried digging a privy by myself one time. LOTS of hard work. I made it down about 4-5 feet and gave up. ;D

I keep forgetting to ask you. What is your new avatar? :icon_scratch: Did I miss a post?

-Doug-

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
BB,
Another great hunt. Congrats to IB. :thumbsup:
I can see why you would of thought "cut Spanish silver" on that coin. What a cool find. Another coin find with character. Way to go.

Everything that we find sticks with us. This Big 2Reales was the first Spanish silver that I ever found. Look at how it's cut. At least the guy that cut the Seated Half left me a full date. :)

index.jpg

ModernMiner said:
I keep forgetting to ask you. What is your new avatar?
-Doug-

Looks like Nuts of Steel to me.

8)

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,834

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread