Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
shaun7 said:
robfinds said:
shaun7 said:
fantastic :o what is the date range so far? have you ever had a better site? :thumbsup:
Short cross to James 1. Yes I have had better sites, used to detect a late saxon/norman market site. Probably had about 100 hammered of that site,every time you got a signal the hairs stood up on the back of your neck.

you just forced me to look that up :D very interesting! gave me something to do, thanks ;D
i can't believe that a badly struck coin could lead to castration and the loss of your right hand! harsh but fair :D
Yes Henry 1 was a bit upset with his moneyers.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
robfinds said:
shaun7 said:
robfinds said:
shaun7 said:
fantastic :o what is the date range so far? have you ever had a better site? :thumbsup:
Short cross to James 1. Yes I have had better sites, used to detect a late saxon/norman market site. Probably had about 100 hammered of that site,every time you got a signal the hairs stood up on the back of your neck.

you just forced me to look that up :D very interesting! gave me something to do, thanks ;D
i can't believe that a badly struck coin could lead to castration and the loss of your right hand! harsh but fair :D

have you ever found any of the ones without the mint marks, made by the cowboys?

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
shaun7 said:
robfinds said:
shaun7 said:
robfinds said:
shaun7 said:
Don't think so but I did once find an Henry 1 with the cut in the edge.

have you ever found any of the ones without the mint marks, made by the cowboys?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robfinds said:
shaun7 said:
robfinds said:
shaun7 said:

Hi Rob...wasn't that the account of the bloody asizers were the moneyers were rounded up and executed for producing poor coinage, nice finds again :thumbsup:

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
tyre kicker said:
robfinds said:
shaun7 said:
robfinds said:
shaun7 said:
Hello Tyre kicker, yes at christmas 1124 the famous ' Assize of the Moneyers' was held at Winchester when all the moneyers in England were called to account for their activities and a number are said to have been mutilated for issuing coins of inferior quality [ref.Coins of England Spink ]. Certainly an effective insentive scheme.

Hi Rob...wasn't that the account of the bloody asizers were the moneyers were rounded up and executed for producing poor coinage, nice finds again :thumbsup:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
robfinds said:
tyre kicker said:
robfinds said:
shaun7 said:
robfinds said:
shaun7 said:
Hello Tyre kicker, yes at christmas 1124 the famous ' Assize of the Moneyers' was held at Winchester when all the moneyers in England were called to account for their activities and a number are said to have been mutilated for issuing coins of inferior quality [ref.Coins of England Spink ]. Certainly an effective insentive scheme.

very slippery them moneyers!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread