Fun day .. Until the Police Came

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
I went to an old part of town to do some strips (the area between the sidewalk and street owned by the city). I detected the strip in front of a couple of older homes that were empty. Probably in foreclosure. Someone in the neighborhood called the police and reported a "suspicious character" ... me. Initially the police were concerned about my digger ... "Please sir take your hand away from the knife". Just like on Cops! They were nice enough and suggested I go to another block but I had put in about 2 hours which is what I planned so I called it a day.

I really like strips. They are a challenge with lots of targets and you never know what you'll find. Some people are nice about it and actually invite you to detect their yard. Others call the police or threaten to. Some people are just edgy about everything. Oh well, it's just part of the deal.

5 wheaties (oldest was 1920), 2 silver dimes and a brass donkey. Maybe it's a horse. I don't know!!!

Attachments

• west side two.jpg
    west side two.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,705
  • west side one.jpg
    west side one.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,710
Upvote 0
S

seger98

Well no ones hunt is complete without a brass monkey, or maybe a horse! :icon_jokercolor:

Atleast the cops didn't make you spread eagle on the street.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
winslow,

" it's just part of the deal."
Life is like that. :wink: ;D

Nice group of finds; congrat on the silver.
Silver is always nice. ;D :wink:
have a good un....
SHERMANVILLE

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Whenever I am around the police, I keep my hands on the opposite side
of my body that my digger is on..... I take no chances!!!
Sounds like all went well.
Nice finds too.
A little silver, wheat and ass (two if you count the one that called the police).

Slabman

Jan 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
XLT, Quattro, X-Terra, Sovreign, Whites Goldmaster
Hey Winslow,
I also love doing the grass boulevards. Here's a little trick that I use. I wear an
unmarked orange saftey vest, and a hard hat. I've told people that I'm a private contractor
and am doing tests for metal in the ground. It's rare that I ever have a problem.

Slab :wink: :D

soopacee

Apr 27, 2008
Pottsville, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Nel Tornando,
Garrett Carrot PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah i thought about doing the "strips" up the street from me.......all the houses there go way back.....only downfall is, its the "rich" section.....5-0 would definatly be called, just like you

have fun

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like something that would happen to me. Neat finds! :thumbsup:

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting between the sidewalk and road in town in front of a church. These areas belong to the city, not the property owners, hence the city can put signs, etc there. A church member came out and told me that the pastor would not want me out there "digging". I tried saying that it actually belonged to the city, but they insisted I leave, so I did. The idea above about wearing an orange vest and hardhat is a great idea, but lying about who you are if questioned is not a good idea. People would surely leave you alone if you look like a city worker. When I dug privies, I would wear a hardhat, but I think the orange vest would definitely make you look like a city worker. Bryan in NC

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
I hope you are getting permission from the landowners of each property. I know the city owns these strips but it is the adjacent landowners responsibility for maintenance such as cutting the grass etc. I am an enthusiastic detectorist but I wouldn't be happy if someone was outside my property right now at the sidewalk strip and detecting and digging holes without my permission. Now if you knocked on my door and asked permission then that would be different. This is a topic that my group used to talk about a long time ago when we used to persue Rosies , Mercs and Wheats.
Chris

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
Winslow, Nice finds :thumbsup:You could have an older artifact (The Donkey/Horse) than you realize. It could have been dropped by a collector of ancient artifacts. Looks like something from Ancient Greece (Thessaly) to me. You mentioned that you were in an older more affluent (?) area of houses. But... then again maybe it isn't old, I'd keep looking for an ID on it. HH M.

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Winslow !!! :thumbsup:
I had an experience quite like yours here in Eugere
a year ago and the police said almost exactly the same thing to me.
They asked a few questions and we started talking MD'ing and coins...
Haven't been bothered since. Gold Nuggets :icon_jokercolor:

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
I like the strips...alot... :) I really like them when they are going to resod and remove old grass. Great finds! :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread