New Field - 18th Century Silver Cufflink - Large Cent - Cannon "Grapeshot"

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
New Field - 18th Century Silver Cufflink - Large Cent - Cannon "Grapeshot"

Been working the new field where I found the 1795 Large Cent, the King George II Copper, a 1914 Barber Dime and an 1881 Indian Head Penny. After going blank my previous three trips, the last two days have been pretty productive. Yesterday found a large cent (date's hard to read, but I think it's 1852) and a lead grapeshot. The grapeshot weighs 1 pound and has a 1 3/4" diameter. How it got in the field is anybody guess. Today I found an 18th century or early 19th century silver cufflink, marked with either the initial J or a G Cleft. Also found a musket ball (not pictured), four 19th century buttons and a couple of brass relics. The large button is marked Mark Cowen & Co. NY. Searching the web, I found out they were in business from 1889 to 1916. The hunt continues tomorrow after work.

Attachments

• finds3.jpg
    finds3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 507
  • finds4.jpg
    finds4.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 521
  • finds5.jpg
    finds5.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 500
Upvote 0

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Re: New Field - 18th Century Silver Cufflink - Large Cent - Cannon "Grapeshot"

Great finds!! any ideas on the brass relics as to what they are?

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

JakePhelps said:
Great finds!!? any ideas on the brass relics as to what they are?

I'm guessing that the brass relics were probably off a farm wagon or some other horse drawn vehicle. If anybody has any idea what those items are, please let me know. Thanks.

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL

Great finds!! Can't wait to see what else you'll pull up!

vicki

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That one item looks like the barrel band off an old rifle or musket. You may have stumbled on an old battle field. Have you checked out the history of the site? JIM

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Totally awesome, WTG!!!
That site is really going well...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

jimmileo said:
That one item looks like the barrel band off an old rifle or musket.? You may have stumbled on an old battle field.? Have you checked out the history of the site?? JIM

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the ID, I appreciated it. There's not really any battlefields on Long Island, so it was probably dropped by a hunter. Though, that still doesn't explain the grapeshot.

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon

Way to go bookfisher! Nice stuff. Are you displaying your finds in your store? Seems like you're on your way to a pretty nice collection of local relics.

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

slow sweeper said:
? ? ?Way to go bookfisher! Nice stuff. Are you displaying your finds in your store? Seems like you're on your way to a pretty nice collection of local relics.

Hi Dave, nice to hear from you. How have you been? Yea, I've been putting in the hours and have been pretty lucky so far this year. At this point I just have all the coins and relics in a nice brass box, but all the regulars who come in, get the weekly show and tell.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Great stuff, fisher. I love looking at your "goodies" when you post. Get out there and find more!!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

there may have not been any battles on long island but there could have been an encampment or two. they had to train soldiers somewhere. maybe a trip to the library is in order?

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

hollowpointred said:
there may have not been any battles on long island but there could have been an encampment or two. they had to train soldiers somewhere. maybe a trip to the library is in order?

I appreciate the thought, but I've been dealing in old and rare books for 23 years and Long Island history books have been one of my specialties. As far as I know, this field has always been farmland. Just got back from the field, and went kind of blank, just a few 19th century buttons and a 1952 wheat cent.

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola

now that you mention it that does look like a rifle band with the handle thingy for attaching a sling...Great finds, maybe you stumbled upon something thats not in the books yet ;)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If it is a barrel band that thing next to it could very well be off the buttstock where the other end of the sling attaches? JIM

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont

Fantastic finds Bookfisher, There is a lot of history down there. I tend to agree that the brass items look like they are from a musket where the sling would be attached. I will try to research a type of musket that has those type of attachments. Congrats...Lance

relicmanNY

Greenie
Mar 18, 2005

Is this a field thats still being used or one thats just a grassy meadow? Are there any benefits to one thats is used year after year? Final question. Was it hard to contact the owner? I know up here in NY state, lots of farm land is owned by one person sometimes out of state and leased to local farmers.

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

relicmanNY said:
Is this a field thats still being used or one thats just a grassy meadow? Are there any benefits to one thats is used year after year? Final question. Was it hard to contact the owner? I know up here in NY state, lots of farm land is owned by one person sometimes out of state and leased to local farmers.
This field has been dormant for the last 20 years. In the winter a large puddle forms and kids go ice skating there. I figured if people ice skate there it's okay for metal detecting, so I haven't tried to locate the owner. It may even be owned by the town. I only started detecting last October, so I haven't detected enough fields to know if there's any benefits to hunting a field that is still in use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread