Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunday afternoon started with a light rain and 36F/2C. The rain stopped and the sun came out for about 30 minutes and made for a nice day this time of year. I did a new field, found a 1926 coin just a few feet from the jeep and thought this could be a good, er, uhh, crap, bad luck! It was bad luck as that is the only keeper after an hour. And I forgot to picture it, LOL! I moved to the field where I found the beer token Saturday. There were several people walking their dogs nearby and the hounds barked incessantly at me until they passed by. A few of the ankle biters ran up on me, no problem, their owners screaming behind them and then I had a guy walking two medium sized dogs. One of his dogs ran up on me looking a little serious and I was thinking I may have to stick my shovel down its throat but, I raised my shovel above my head and yelled sit, the dog freaked out and ran off in the other direction to its owner, good choice hound dog! Now what chapped my buns was, the owner did not even try to call the dog back and proceeded to walk by like he didn’t see me. I started to walk over to him to say I didn’t appreciate what just happened but figured it would just ruin my day. Yes we have leash laws but not one dog out of 11ish was on a leash. I made a few finds and enjoyed the hunt, here’s the finds. Two buttons and a large bronze ring, the smaller button is pewter and could be old.
7Dec08Buttons.jpg

Three unknown relics but, upper left looks like a quill pen part, right an ink well lid and lower left maybe a leg for something, I really don’t know.
7Dec08Whats.jpg

A broken piece of lead, lead bag seal for salt and a nice spindle whorl. Spindle whorls are typically old but this one is perfectly grey like lead with no white patina build up on it. Head scratch.
7Dec08Lead.jpg

A religious pendant with what looks like Joseph on one side and Mary on the other, this is the Joseph side. A winter sport badge and I just realized it is made of lead, I have two others, one made of aluminum and one made of zinc. They look similar to a FOB but I think they hung around the neck from a ribbon like a pendant.
7Dec08Pendants.jpg

Mary side of the religious pendant and opposite side of the sport pendant. HH, Mike
7Dec08PendantsR.jpg

Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dog gone good finds Mike! ;D
That sports medal is super cool. Any idea how old?
What is a spindle whorl may I ask? :icon_scratch: It looks like a great object to hit the dog owner with. ;D :tongue3:
Congrats,
Doug

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The relic in the upper left corner of your second photo is a Ramrod Channel. :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work.

-Buckles

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All super finds, Mike, but I think that sports pendant is my favorite! That is too cool! :icon_pirat:

Nana :wink:

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A spindle whorl is the flywheel of a spindle. Yarn is spun by rotating the spindle and pulling out the fibres with ones fingers. Spindle whorls are usually made of terracotta. The spindle was replaced by the spinning wheel in the 16th Century. I have around 25 spindle whorls made of lead, one made of glass and very nice at that and half of a terracotta spindle whorl. The lead seal beside the spindle whorl dates around 1750-1850ish and has a heavy white patina, the spindle whorl should be atleast that old and probably older but is a perfect lead grey. Makes me wonder if there was a difference in lead quality back then. This also means that the spindle whorl is older than Rumpelstilzkin, LOL! Others also suggested the whatsit is a ramrod part, thanks for the ID help. I am not sure how old the sports badge is but probably not older than WWII, I'll check on it. HH, Mike

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
wtg on the finds Mike, thanks for sharing. having peanut out with us eliminates any dog issue as he thinks he takes center stage
with other dogs
hh
dave+bobbie

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Mike, you had a good outing. I know about those dogs, they can be a pain in the ass. I was searching a few weeks ago at a cousins farm here (were farms on that spot since 1100!). The farmer's son, a good guy, has about 90 goats there, milks them and makes cheese. Well anyway I was digging some coins out of the grass by the house for his kids and himself (liked to see them), mostly copper coins from around 1700, and we were in the goat area. I said well I don't want to disturb them, but he insisted, they won't be bothered at all. Well the were not either... Anyway at a given moment I turned around and saw one of the goats trying to eat my coil cable, wow! Quickly I tried to get it away from him (I always wear a hip mounted detector) but it got caught in his horns, and because I was acting a bit funny I guess for him he took off. Well I had to take off with him also, and finally after running my pants off he stopped long enough for me to get the wires out of his horns!..... Never want to do that again...

By the way Mike, how do you insert photos, that is photos with text in between the photos? I know only about loading images using the Browse function.

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
EVERYONE SHOULD OWN A DOG. WOULD BE MORE JOB/S OUT THERE. :D :D :D

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buckles, thanks for the ID help! Woody, that was a very funny story!!! I sent you a PM regarding picture posting. HH, Mike

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bavaria Mike said:
Buckles, thanks for the ID help! Woody, that was a very funny story!!! I sent you a PM regarding picture posting. HH, Mike
Hi Mike, thanks for the PM, yes it was funny, but at that time I was thinking about the coil, if the cable got pulled out of the coil, or the cable broke (its pretty strong) I was thinking, well another 200 euros ($ 240 or so) down the drain...! I was also very glad that he stopped after a while, because I was getting out of breath!

Yea, Buckles did a good job!

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ones Mike - did you you yell at the dog in English or German? ;D

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Very cool finds Mike ! I would hang that sports medal on my Christmas tree...
Sorry about the dog...I really hate when owners let them run and dont bother to call them back...I had one bowl me right over once when I was digging....didnt know whether to whack the dog or the owner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread