My FIRST SEATED DIME!! Woo Hoo!! ~ 1873 Arrows !!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello Everyone,

I'm so happy right now. :icon_cheers: One coin that has eluded me since I've been detecting was a seated dime. After digging nearly 1000 silver coins in the past two years, I can finally say, I GOT ONE!! :blob6: It's an 1873, no mint, with arrows. I'm glad I got to share this coin find today with my buddy, Mike(Ratman). He put me right in the area to find that coin. Thanks, Mike!! :thumbsup:

I never expected to find a seated coin today. After digging 3 silver dimes and 11 wheaties from the turf, I told Mike, jokingly, "Okay, Mike, let's go find some barbers". He took me to an area where he's had some luck in the past, and my very first signal in that spot produced the seated dime.

I ended the day with 4 silver dimes, and 11 Wheaties. Man, I sure did the happy dance after finding that coin.....I think Mike did too. :laughing3:

This is a perfect ending to a detecting year that I am very content with!!

Thanks for looking!!
Keep the Passion High!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Historical Significance of Arrows on the Seated Liberty Coins:

From what I've researched, it looks like the US mint, in 1853 and then in 1873, changed the weights of each denomination of its silver coinage. In 1853, the silver dime's weight was changed from a previous 41 grains (2.7 grams) to 38 grains(2.5 grams). Then in 1873, the seated dime's weight was increased from 38 grains to 39 grains. Why did they decide to leave the arrows on a couple years after 1853, followed by one year after 1873, I do not know. :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• IMG_3237_sm2.jpg
    IMG_3237_sm2.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 1,127
  • IMG_3241_sm.jpg
    IMG_3241_sm.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 1,113
Upvote 0

Goio

Sep 15, 2003
All over!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-Trac, Excalibur II
Dan,
Congrats on your first Seated dime, It's a beauty!! :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done! Second Seated dime is much easier than the first. :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,

Buckes

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Thanks for sharing the joy. You'll remember the day and the spot you found it for a long time. Congrats!!

Chicago Ron

Apr 12, 2005
In the Lake in Chicago
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-trac, Excaliber II, GPX-5000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Lady Cap, I find it hard to believe with all the silver you dig that this is your first Seated, Glad you got that out of the way!
Congrats!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats :thumbsup: I'm surprised you have not found one till now with all the silver you pull out of the ground, but now the ice is broken, number 2 can't be far behind.....

Don

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Dan,that seated lady is sweet. All those mercs and rosies are awesome man but seated makes you say "holy $#it" when you see it. ; Time for a capped bust now!!
Jerry

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Way to go, Dan! :thumbsup:
How about some details on the recovery? Were you shocked when she popped out? I can still hardly believe I found my first and its been a couple weeks now. I have to take it out of the album every now and then just to make sure its real.
John

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Congrats!! let us know when you are done doing the happy dance....it is sure to be a good long time! That is VERY nice!

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan, congrats on getting your first 'lady'.... That's awesome....

There have been a lot of great end-of-season finds posted recently by TN members and a seated dime (first or not) certainly qualifies as a great find.

More importantly, did anyone witness you doing the 'happy dance'???

Congrats again on the seated and on a great year of finds and posts !!!!

Brian

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
That is a beautiful lady right there Dan. Congrats and I hope it won't take me that long to find my first. Hey you still have a couple weeks before the year is out. Go grab another one, or one that you still have yet to discover. WTG and congrats again buddy.... :thumbsup: jgas

Bertman

Apr 13, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Minelab E-Trac
SWEET!!!! Congrats on that Seated Dime... Just checked the Red Book and see where the arrows indicate an increase in weight... The WILVER Master continues to jam...

HH Robert

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the seated. :thumbsup: Believe it or not, I've only been actively hunting again for the past 2 and half years, and I've been lucky enough to find 2 of them. My first was a 1853 half dime, and then this past summer, I got a 1876 dime. Really love those seated coins. ::) :occasion14:

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
pookie said:
congrats!

Thanks, pookie! Appreciate it! :thumbsup:

Goio said:
Dan,
Congrats on your first Seated dime, It's a beauty!! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Goio!! Congrats, again, on your fantastic year!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy said:
Well done! Second Seated dime is much easier than the first. :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,

Buckes

Thanks, Buckles. Seated coins are very, very rare in my neck of the woods. It might be a year before I get another, but I sure do hope it's sooner. ::) ::)

Thanks for sharing the joy. You'll remember the day and the spot you found it for a long time. Congrats!!

Thanks, Winslow!! Appreciate your reply! You're right. I will remember every detail of today's hunt for sure.

shaun7 said:

Thanks, shaun7!! :thumbsup:

seger98 said:
Congratulations on the seated lady... :thumbsup: It's a beauty!

Thanks, seger98!! Appreciate it! :thumbsup:

Sweet Lady Cap, I find it hard to believe with all the silver you dig that this is your first Seated, Glad you got that out of the way!
Congrats!

Hey, thanks, Ron!! It's true, it's true! Not that many real old coins in S. Cal. They're all buried underneath concrete/buildings in Los Angeles. ;D

Don in SJ said:
Congrats :thumbsup: I'm surprised you have not found one till now with all the silver you pull out of the ground, but now the ice is broken, number 2 can't be far behind.....

Don

Thanks, Don! Most of the parks I detect are 20's - 40's parks, with only a few in the late 1800's. It's just way too urbanized here in S. CA.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pardon me if you're not the same guy. I was looking for a Captn Dan that told me he never finds old silver in Calif.
You must not be the same person. :icon_scratch: :tongue3: YOU LUCKY DOG!!!!! A big :occasion18: CONGRATS :occasion14: to you Dan. I'd love to find one of those! December must be your lucky month too. :icon_king:
Well deserved indeed.
-Doug-
P.S. You owe Mike big time. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread