Small Recent Find & An Explanation Of My Variablity Setting To The Explorer Guys

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Small Recent Find & An Explanation Of My Variablity Setting To The Explorer Guys

I've been getting out quite a bit..........not posting as much, but I've been doing ok. I've done about three hunts in the past four days with one of the Bronx's elite detectorists "Phil O" and have come home with a decent count of silver, one of them being another SLQ with a readable date. And on one of those hunts I found the vintage NYC Subway fare token. I haven't looked it up, but I've been told it's one of the very early varities. I'm a big fan of anything to do with trains, and the subway is native to me, so this token was a special find in my book. It sounded like a nickel, which was what I was pursuing after having seen Phil dig up a nice Buffalo. Photo of the token is enclosed.

The second part of this post is regarding the Variablity setting that I use on my Explorer. I've been asked by several people why I use this setting or why I do not use it at 10, where silver sounds better. Below is my reasoning and explanation ;D..........

My primary logic is that restraining the Variablity setting to eight discourages bad habits in the cherry picking arena based on the following.....

a) Ever heard people say that if you set your Variablity to 10, that silver sounds better or that you can tell a clad dime from a silver dime?

No lives at stake, but that is a dangerous idea or confidence to adopt. If you've been out there hunting with the Explorer, you will sooner than later discover that certain coins, (In particular very worn out barber dimes) do not sound exactly like silver and can sometimes sound more like a penny. Same applies to coins that have a trash item in very close proximity. The silver sound may not pop out, and instead you may get a blended sound.

b) Even though the Explorer has superior (In my opinion) target identification, many of the Explorer users learn to eventually distrust target identification and instead rely heavily on sound. I try to take it a step further and many times also distrust the sound and rely on things learned through experience, some being a matter of logical thinking. And one simple logical though is that we cannot expect to get a good clear sounding signal or TID on a target that is on the threshold of detection. I dig warbly nickel sounding signals that sometimes turn out to be silver quarters at depth. If the signal is deep and somewhat repeatable, I dig it anyways. The tone of the sound at this point is irrelavent.

With that said, in the discipline that I dig, I'm not looking for the ability to tell silver apart from clad What I am doing is allowing myself to be forced to dig more. I know that if I had my machine set up where the difference between the sound of silver and a wheat were very different, I would be more selective of what I dig, and would be digging less. I would not have the restrain to stop myself from abusing that setup/variablity. And as it is known, the less you dig, the less you will find. This reasoning wlll have me digging lots of wheats and finding whatever silver is around. I might take home more wheats than what someone else might have been willing to dig, but I might also bring home that silver that someone would probably never have dug due to the confidence of the Variablity at 10 setting.

And even with my Variablity set at 8, I can actually tell when something will be silver an extremely good percentage of the time. It keeps me from filming 30 coins on every hunt. I only bring out the camera when I am certain it is silver. That ability makes it possible for me to make my videos.

The only thought left is how many good coins I have run over that I could pick up if I set the variablity even lower to the point where I'd have just a few tones like I did with my ACE 250? I have no plans to do that anytime soon, but my point is that it may not be such a bad idea to limit cherry picking by curbing the variablity setting.........at least to the point where wheats are more blended in with the sound of silver and in turn will make you investigate.

Best,
Ricardo

Attachments

• token.jpg
    token.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 537
Upvote 0
Jul 11, 2008
Neosho,Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac ,Tesoro cibola
Re: Small Recent Find & An Explanation Of My Variablity Setting To The Explorer Guys

Thanks for the post Ricardo:
your posts are actually the reason i decided to buy an explorer XS!
i run in coins mode, advanced,set to deep,gain at max,and variability at 10.
i usually dig all repeatable signals and some iffy ones,
i have found i have to go slow to get the nulling to catch up on the recovery.
also i would have missed a barber dime if i had not gone over an area again at a different angle,
approx 45 degrees from what i previously had.
i have the stock coil,and seem to be happy with it,old coins are just hard to come by in my area,
do you have any preferences or see anything wrong with the settings i am using?
always trying to get a little more depth,although i seem to be digging coins at around 9 inches.
i love the explorer and highly recommend them.
but im glad there are so many detectors out there,
they all have fairly good depth anymore it seems.
well,good luck and keep posting,i love the videos and viewing the coins you find.

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Re: Small Recent Find & An Explanation Of My Variablity Setting To The Explorer Guys

Hey Ricardo! I liked reading your post! :thumbsup: Nice job on the NYC token! I have been using my SE for five-six months now. I have made some outstanding finds, none the less. But I believe it has to do with both concepts of hearing the sound and looking at the screen. I am no expert and do not consider myself to be one. I tend to put both subjects in perspective when recovering a target. Usually a coin will sound different when its deeper as you said. In that case, I usually look at the smartfind screen to determine wheather it is going to be a dime, quarter, or a penny. Sometimes though, you just never know, so in that case you have to dig anyway. A lot of the times when digging those iffy signals, its hard to tell what will come out of the ground.

Just the other day, I was out with JuJu at a 1928 house and I dug a very nice 1952 silver dime. Of course Nate(JuJu) had passed over that spot several times before. I heard a little bleep of silver and saw my smartfind screen go to a penny then to a dime then to a quarter. I decided to go dig it. Of all my days of detecting with the SE, this was a serious test of my ability. As it turns out, the coin was under a root, thats why my friend Nate could not hear it and I could. Just that little bleep sound of silver was my chance to recover the dime :thumbsup:

I believe that in all aspects you must use the screens ability to identify targets and the sound the machine makes. I also believe variability does matter. Usually I use 8 but on that day, I was using 10.

Thats my thought on the whole topic. Thanks for taking the time to explain and great find!

Oh and by means, I am no expert and do not consider myself to be an expert considering, I ask bscofield6, Captain SE, and Silverfreak, questions all of the time :) They probably get sick of answering them for me, but it just makes me get better with the SE.

Dr. Ace

Nov 4, 2007
South-Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Ace 250
Re: Small Recent Find & An Explanation Of My Variablity Setting To The Explorer

Ricardo,

Thanks for the post. I have an Ace 250 and am planning on buying a Minelab (either SE pro or Etrac) by next season. I appreciate your thoughts. I don't understand everything you are talking about, but I hope by next year at this time, it will all make sense.

HH!

Dr. Ace

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

Ricardo,

I don't own a Minelab (I will someday!), but you made some very good points in your post that anyone can use, regardless of detector. For example, the digging of any deep repeatable signal. And by deep, I mean 6+ inches. A lot of the old silver and wheats I've dug were deep and didn't sound like they should. Specifically, I dug two worn-down and thin Barber dimes recently (two different locations) that rang up as a zinc cent and a pull tab, respectively. I had to ask myself what a zinc cent had to be doing at 8 inches in the middle of the woods (same with the pulltab). The only thing going for them was that they were both repeatable, albeit "junky" signals.

My rule of thumb (especially when hunting in the woods, which I do a lot), is- dig everything deep that isn't iron or small foil. I've hunted areas others have pounded and have picked up some nice siler wars nickels,buffalos and V's. If silver is all someone wants, it makes sense to ignore all nickel/pull tab signals, but who wants to ignore those, and what's the hurry?

Again, nice post. I'm looking forward to hearing more.

Joe

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker

???

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Congrats on the nice finds, Ricardo!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: It's good to hear that you're still out there swinging it!

Thanks also for the insight on your settings. I have found that I can't rely on the Smartfind on my SE to reliably tell the difference between a quarter and a dime, or sometimes even a penny. I usually dig all those anyway, (especially the deep ones), so it's no big deal, but I was beginning to think something was out of wack with my machine.

Posts like yours and those from the other Minelab pros on the board really help people like me who are still on their "honeymoon" with the machine. I appreciate all the info! :wink:
Neil

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

LabradorBob said:
i run in coins mode, advanced,set to deep,gain at max,and variability at 10.

do you have any preferences or see anything wrong with the settings i am using?

always trying to get a little more depth,although i seem to be digging coins at around 9 inches.

If you're digging them at 9"........you're settings are working :)

I see nothing wrong with your settings, and they are all a matter of preference and learning the machine in whatever configuration you are going to learn it in as opposed to tinkering. The only thing I will point out is that many Explorer users set their gain to numbers between 6 and 8. I use 8. The advantage of this is that you can get a better idea of the depth without actually having to look at the screen. With gain maxed out, everything gives out a strong signal as if it were a shallow target.

My configuration is usually running around with the Minelab 8" coil with Iron Mask at -6 (No preset or custom program). Limits at 10, Variability at 8 and Gain at 8. Deep On, Fast Off, Audio Normal (Many use Audio 1) and I use Conduct. I use sensitivity on Manual all the time with a setting of between 24 to 26 for the 8" coil and 19-22 when I use the larger stock coil.

Detectingfreak said:
Oh and by means, I am no expert and do not consider myself to be an expert

Same here :) I do like sharing things that I have learned along the way...........and when it comes to the Explorer, I'm still learning..........each and every trip out. :)

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Re: Small Recent Find & An Explanation Of My Variablity Setting To The Explorer

Great post! I might as well add my two cents as a Minelab user. I'm a relic & coin hunter... Hope this helps 8)

Here are my Explorer ll settings and why I chose them. (feel free to PM me if you have some questions I will try to help you)

I use Advanced settings
Iron Mask is on at -15
Threshold is set only high enough to hear an audible noise
Volume is set to max
Gain is set at 6
Deep is on
Fast is off
Sounds is set to Ferrous
I use manual sensitivity, not auto. I set sensitivity at a level that provides a
constant threshold without breaking up or becoming unstable.
Audio set to Audio1

My reason for advanced settings is to fine tune some of the other settings
listed below.

My reason for Iron Mask:
I hunt relics as well as coins. I like to find iron objects. With iron mask I
can tune in as much iron or as little iron as I want. Iron mask will accept or
eliminate iron through out the entire vertical axis (the range of conductivity).

Iron mask has settings that go from 0 to -16. 0 means that we will eliminate all
iron. The entire display will be dark. As you move iron mask up toward -16 you will see that the
lcd will become open from right to left (dark area on the left meaning that we
will not accept any object that falls into that dark area). It seems backwards
but that's how they set it up...

I set my iron mask at -14 or -15. This setting allows me to catch most all iron.
It also keeps me from hearing a constant iron signal if I should be in a real
trashy area. If you choose iron mask, try it out around -9. Then move up to
-10,11... and see the difference in how much iron you will hear. I feel (only my
opinion) that iron mask and Ferrous sounds work together. Before you set iron
mask "on" you may want to choose Ferrous sounds and here is why, again only from
my own experience and what works for me:

The majority of my hunting is in the woods around cellar holes. There can be
lots of iron in the woods. When I first started hunting with my EXII over three
years ago I used Conduct sounds. It worked great but not around iron. I found that conduct would give a high pitch around iron as iron is conductive. Well
so didn't coins and silver. So it made hunting in the woods almost impossible
for me to tell if I was digging iron or silver. So I set my sounds to Ferrous.
With Ferrous sounds, iron will give off a very low tone while silver, copper and
the good stuff will give off a higher tone very similar to how it sound in
Conduct mode. (ferrous sounds are based on the horizontal axis, the more ferrous
the target, the lower the tone and the target will be closer to the left of the
display) Ferrous gives that great separation between iron and any good
non-ferrous target. So I stayed with Ferrous and got very used to it.

My reason for low threshold is to allow me to hear very faint signals whereas if
the threshold was too high or too low I could miss some. Not a huge big deal
just a personal preference.

My reason for Volume max, with volume max you will get a great seperation between targets that are deep and those that are not. Sound will be much softer for deeper targets. If you get good at this you can tell shallow/deep small, shallow/deep large and such. I love it... gain also plays a factor in this

My reason for gain 6 is my own personal preference. This settings seems to allow
me to hear fairly small targets at greater depth and still allow me to tell the
difference between some shallow and some deep targets. Gain is supposed to
amplify smaller deep targets but it can also make all targets sound the same
depth. I chose a good mid-range gain and am happy with that.

My reason for deep on is that I want as much depth as possible. Why would anyone
turn it off? Just my preference...

My reason for fast off is this: fast on will allow the detector circuits to
recover quicker between targets. It will also throw off the accuracy of the
target id, not a lot but it will. I will use fast ON when I am in a very trashy
area and I need to hunt very slowly. Other than that it's fast off for me.

This last setting, Audio1 is rather tricky. I would highly recommend that you
leave Audio at the default setting which is "normal" (I think). After running default Audio settings for over a year I experimented with Audio1
and love it. You will find that it stretches out the sounds. I find it very nice
in trashy areas as well as on small or deep targets. It is very tough to get
used to though. It took me several months to learn it. After becoming good at it
my small target finds in the woods really increased as did my finds in trashy
areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions