Silver Dime Tri-fecta with Key Date Barber + Bad News

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Lostlake and I hit a very nice spot today. It is a little park in the village Lostlake grew up in. We stopped by the police station and Lostlake secured permission.
I popped these 4 silvers out of the ground. Dug a Merc, then the barber, then the Rosie. I was a bit disapointed to see the Rosie until I realized it was a trifecta. Haven't done that since last Spring.
The really good news is that the Barber is a Key Date- 1897O. 666,000 minted!!!!!! The Bad News is that I scratched it. For some reason, I knew it was a rare dime(couldn't see mint mark) when I dug it. I walked over to Lostlake and said I found a valuable Barber. Then I told him I scratched it. I let it sit in a water puddle for a while and wiped it off to reveal the magic "O". I was actually a little sick to my stomach.
Scratch turned out black in the picture on the lower right side of the back. Funny thing is I scratched the Rosie also. I haven't scratched a silver coin in months.....
For those interested, the barber was the deepest coin of the day at 8-9". The wheaties were coming in between 2-6"(wide variation), and the Mercs were 5-6".
Regards,
Jon Dickinson
www.prehistoricartifacts.com

Attachments

• 12112008a.jpg
    12112008a.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 720
  • 12112008b.jpg
    12112008b.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 709
Upvote 0

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
Very nice coins. Just remember it isn't the coins that you find but the finding of the coins.
CONGRATS STILL A VERY NICE KEEPER :thumbsup:

fortbball9

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
still beutiful coins!!!

John Deere Digger

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2007
So Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Prism5, Minelab SE
Score on that trifecta, congrats. I have been scratching some coins lately too, a 42 merc and a couple of wheats, common coins so not that bad. I have taken to digging bigger plugs. Still a great find. HH
JDD

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Nice going, Jon. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Too bad about the scratches....when you dig a lot of deep coins, it's bound to happen.

We have to treat all coins in the ground as if they are going to be key dates.

I keep telling myself, "There's no rush in trying to get them out of the ground. They've been in the ground well over 50 years. Take my time".

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

sodapoptop

May 13, 2008
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Yeah well A BAD day with an 1897-O dime is still better than a Good day of work! I don't think that scratch is that bad. It happens to us all! I am very happy for you......and Congrats on finding such a Tough date coin to find.! :thumbsup:

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Congrats on the coins................I'm looking at the reverse of the barber and it seems to me the scratch was already there. Is it dull as in the photo or shiny? The way it looks on the photo, it appears like a scratch that was already there.

OP
OP
pointdlr

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Thanks for all the comments!!!!!!!!!!!

As a general rule, I dig carefully. The place I was detecting yesterday needed to be treated very carefully if I wanted to come back. My holes were a little smaller, but that didn't account for the cut on the Barber. I found it near a big tree, and it was below a thumb sized root. I slid the lesche under the root and popped out some dirt. Just scraped the edge.....Damn.....

I am hoping to get 8 more silver dimes before Jan. 1 for 100 dimes on the year.

Soda- I noticed your avatar. Did you find that beauty 1897-O?

Ricardo- The flash made the gash look black. In reality, it is a very fresh and is the color of cut silver.

Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver trifecta!! :thumbsup:
Even though you scratched a coin, how many of us
can say they hit a silver trifecta? And besides, the scratch isn't that bad!!
It's easy for me to look at your pics and say that.... but it still hurts.
Keep on digging and posting the good finds.
Gold Nuggets :icon_jokercolor:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions