SilverSleuth Doesnt even know yet..lol He Found The Big One!!

FunWithTreasure

Oct 12, 2008
SilverSleuth posted in his post yesterday that he found a 1916 W dime but the dime didnt have a D..Well if you look close at his pic it is there it is just very worn. I circled it..Look close. I PM'ed him but he is offline..Though I would post it for him being it is a rare dime...So if I am correct wich I think I am CONGRAT's to you..If I am wrong then I am just a idiot..lol

Attachments

• Dime.jpg
    Dime.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 712
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 707
Upvote 0

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It would be great if you were right. However looking at wikipedia the "D" is Pointed to by the top stroke of "E" of ONE. where you have encircled is located along the bottom stroke.

Still ... worth a closer photo or two of that location.

HH Joe

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
I agree with Joe. Your circle is in the wrong area.

Here's where the "Denver" mintmark would be. I've got a close up of a 1916 D Merc.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• 1916D.jpg
    1916D.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 625

SilverSleuth

Oct 5, 2007
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FunWithTreasure said:
SilverSleuth posted in his post yesterday that he found a 1916 W dime but the dime didnt have a D..Well if you look close at his pic it is there it is just very worn. I circled it..Look close. I PM'ed him but he is offline..Though I would post it for him being it is a rare dime...So if I am correct wich I think I am CONGRAT's to you..If I am wrong then I am just a idiot..lol

It's ok. Looking at that pic closely I'd have thought the same thing. What does the "D" stand for anyways? I assumed it meant "D"enver but why would there also be a "W"ashington on front?

same dime - different angle & natural lighting.

Attachments

• 012jj.jpg
    012jj.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 569

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
I want to see the faint outline of a D, but then again I wanted to see an S on my 1902 Barber too. And I could have sworn it was there. lol

Ray

OP
OP
FunWithTreasure

FunWithTreasure

Oct 12, 2008
Guess I was wrong. My eyes must have been playing tricks on me because I swear I see a D in that pic...Sorry for the waisted space.

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
That W on the front is not just a 'W', but an 'A' and a 'W' superimposed over each other. They stand for Adolph Weinman, the sculptor who designed the obverse.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread