Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone,

The cold will not stop me unless it is like today. 17 with a wind chill of 0. But by the weekend it will be detecting time again. Decided I needed a fix Saturday and decided to go back to the colonial house I have been hunting for 7 months. It has become the J.A. McDonald house to me as he was a wealthy man whom lived there at one time. The house was built in 1837 as the deed states, but I have not been able to find out who had the place from the beginning. Nevertheless, as most of you may know has produced some nice finds for me and my trusty Ace 250. With the ground being frozen in the shady spots and the grassy areas not frozen and plenty of recent rain the ground was prime. I had to turn the sensitivity down because of all the signals I was getting. Anyways, after about a 3 hour hunt I was able to pull 2 Indians (1889, and 1887 with 1866 being the oldest of the 12 I have found here. I also found 2 buttons. One has markings and the other one doesn't. The dandy button ( not pictured here) is the oldest button I have found here so far. I found it this past summer. Any ID help would be appreciated. It goes to show you that no place is ever completely hunted out. Enjoy HH Ron

Picture1125.jpg

Picture1118.jpg

Picture1121.jpg

Picture1122.jpg

Picture1126.jpg

Picture507-1.jpg

Picture510-1.jpg

Picture811-1.jpg

Picture815-1.jpg

Picture838-1.jpg

Picture840-1.jpg

Upvote 0
S

seger98

Re: Cold Saturday hunt yields 2 Indians and 2 buttons . ID Help needed

Nice Indian Heads & button. So what's the lowest the temp has to be before you won't go out anymore?

Chris

Jerry1NJ

Oct 23, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray pinpointer, Minelab CTX3030

Great finds!!! :thumbsup:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Great finds Ron. You certainly deserved a good 3 hour hunt for enduring the cold. Is that a Zouave Button? HH.

tomted62

Oct 30, 2008
Tiro, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great finds...I've been through Woodstock, OH before.

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

VOL1266-X said:
Great finds Ron. You certainly deserved a good 3 hour hunt for enduring the cold. Is that a Zouave Button? HH.

Whats a Zouave button?? I know it's old, because everything about this place I have found has been pre-1900

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

seger98 said:
Nice Indian Heads & button. So what's the lowest the temp has to be before you won't go out anymore?

Chris

Until the ground stays frozen. That is hard to dig. Even though it was only 28, the grassy areas wasn't because of the 50 plus temps the day before and the rain we had.

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland

Nice buttons..... and, of course, Old Coppers!!!

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

tomted62 said:
Great finds...I've been through Woodstock, OH before.

Population around 300 :D

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi, can't see a Dandy button in any of the pictures? ???

The one with a backmark is LEAVENWORTH & KENDRICK 1830s. The globe button is around the same period.

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great hunting location Jarhead,

I found one of those buttons too here in southern Ohio. Looks like a Zouave uniform button to me.
DCP_1427.jpg

Mine has the same back side text, too. Google the name and find out about the military guys who wore these buttons.

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
New Excalibur II, DFX w 12" Super and stock coil, XLT with stock coil, 14" & 6" coils

Good job on braving the cold!!!

I can plainly see TWO dandy buttons that you found. I'm stuck at work today and don't have my backmark book with me, I'm sure someone can check it and give you a date range soon.

Here's some info on the Zouaves:

The original Zouaves were native North African troops serving in the French Army in the 1830s. They wore distinctive uniforms. The uniforms usually consisted of a fez and turban, very baggy pants, a vest, a short jacket that was cut away from the top with only one button or clasp at the throat and a sash. They also wore leggings. The uniforms were usually brightly colored and had much trim and/or braid and many brass buttons on them.

These soldiers fought in North Africa for French interests. Later Zouaves fought in the Crimea and Italy in the 1850s. These troops were well trained and disciplined and were famous for great feats on the battlefield, and often mischief and rowdiness off the battlefield.

Prior to the US Civil War, "Zouave fever" spread to America. The colorful uniforms and fancy drill caught on with many city's militia units. This was particularly true after Col. Elmer Ellsworth took his Chicago Zouave Cadets on a tour of North America, challenging militia units to drill competition.

The 72nd Pennsylvania wore a modified Zouave uniform, with Chausseur pants and jackets with little fancy trim. Their trademark was their vest and leggings.

By the end of the Civil War most Zouave uniforms had disappeared due to the Army not wanting to replace them. There were however units that maintained the Zouave uniforms throughout the war, and actually were given Zouave uniforms to recognize the bravery of the unit.

Zouaves disappeared at the end of the Civil War in the US, except for veteran's groups. They continued on in the French Army until World War I when the ability to blend into the battlefield required more traditional green uniforms.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dcooper1 said:

I can plainly see TWO dandy buttons that you found. I'm stuck at work today and don't have my backmark book with me, I'm sure someone can check it and give you a date range soon.

The original Zouaves were native North African troops serving in the French Army in the 1830s. They wore distinctive uniforms. The uniforms usually consisted of a fez and turban, very baggy pants, a vest, a short jacket that was cut away from the top with only one button or clasp at the throat and a sash. They also wore leggings. The uniforms were usually brightly colored and had much trim and/or braid and many brass buttons on them.

These soldiers fought in North Africa for French interests. Later Zouaves fought in the Crimea and Italy in the 1850s. These troops were well trained and disciplined and were famous for great feats on the battlefield, and often mischief and rowdiness off the battlefield.

Prior to the US Civil War, "Zouave fever" spread to America. The colorful uniforms and fancy drill caught on with many city's militia units. This was particularly true after Col. Elmer Ellsworth took his Chicago Zouave Cadets on a tour of North America, challenging militia units to drill competition.

The 72nd Pennsylvania wore a modified Zouave uniform, with Chausseur pants and jackets with little fancy trim. Their trademark was their vest and leggings.

By the end of the Civil War most Zouave uniforms had disappeared due to the Army not wanting to replace them. There were however units that maintained the Zouave uniforms throughout the war, and actually were given Zouave uniforms to recognize the bravery of the unit.

Zouaves disappeared at the end of the Civil War in the US, except for veteran's groups. They continued on in the French Army until World War I when the ability to blend into the battlefield required more traditional green uniforms.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?30,703537,710661
The above is an example of a Dandy button & the globe button is standard civilian wear. I have found hundreds of them. Can't all be Zouave uniform buttons can they?

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

CRUSADER said:
Hi, can't see a Dandy button in any of the pictures? ???

The one with a backmark is LEAVENWORTH & KENDRICK 1830s. The globe button is around the same period.

I reworded the paragraph. I found the dandy button on a previous hunt, not yesterday. The button in question is the one I'm trying to ID. Sorry for the confuss ion on my behalf.

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

dcooper1 said:

Thanks so much for the info. I had no idea what it was. I just figuered it to be old.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Nice Indians. Looks like you are getting some good stuff from that house.
Dman

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dman said:
Nice Indians. Looks like you are getting some good stuff from that house.
Dman

Thanks Dman. I would say that 90% has been pre-1900, since the place was built in 1837

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
camb1 said:
Great looking finds. :thumbsup:

Thanks Camb1. I think southern Ill. is doing better than Chicago. Supposed to be back to 50 by Sat. I still have some hunts left but how long ??? is only Gods guess

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions