Been watching

just-dig

Dec 25, 2008
North Texas
Hi, I've been watching the past couple of months. I really enjoy this site. I'm new to this hobby. I'm an avid collector of indian artifacts and have been digging for points all over Texas for about ten years now.
I've always wanted to get a metal detector and finally did two months ago in a trade for a car. It's a bounty hunter pioneer 505. I'm pretty dissapointed with it as far as depth goes. I only seem to pick up coins in the first three inches of soil. I've been hunting my yard and my mothers as well as a couple of jobsites but really haven't found more than a few wheat pennies and several nickels. Did I mention tons of pulltabs and shredded up pieces of aluminum and all kinds of brass?.....lol
Anyway, today I found something unique in my mothers yard. It's a 3x5 copper template for a wedding announcement from 1928. It took some careful cleaning to be able to read. The man that sold the lots to start our town back in 1880 was announcing his daughters wedding. My mother called her sister and she remembered where the print shop was for the town newspaper.
I'm pretty excited with the new hobby or obsession what ever you want to call it. I have access to countless homes here in town to be able to search with. The only problem I see so far is the depth with this detector. I'm picking up large targets down at the six to eight inch depth but it just wont hit on anything coin size from that depth. The ground is really dry and hard here right now. Will getting some moisture in the ground give me better depth with this machine or will I be forced to upgrade?....lol
Thanks, I'll post some pictures if I ever find anything worth showing.

Upvote 0

smokedaddy

Mar 4, 2008
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum / Fisher 1266X / Minelab Sovereign Elite/ Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Practice with your machine bud. Dont get discouraged. I started out with an old sears " Jetco-Mustang" years ago. I accumulated a large nail collection before I upgraded, but I did learn different signals for all types of objects. Besides with your machine and digging all targets, you might be surprised what you might dig up.

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Welcome to the land of lost marriages and countless hours of thinking nothing except where to swing the coil. Don't worry about all the pull tabs everyone goes through the same phase when they first start out detecting..at least I did...LOL. Yes, wait for moist ground conditions and the coins should pop out of the ground for you.
Again, welcome to the best site on the internet.

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Welcome to Tnet!!
I hope that you enjoy all aspects of treasure hunting.
The plate sounds cool!
Any photos would be appreciated.

detector de metales

Oct 12, 2006
Madison, Wisconsin
49er said:
Welcome to the land of lost marriages and countless hours of thinking nothing except where to swing the coil. Don't worry about all the pull tabs everyone goes through the same phase when they first start out detecting..at least I did...LOL. Yes, wait for moist ground conditions and the coins should pop out of the ground for you.
Again, welcome to the best site on the internet.
You mean to tell me you actually get out of that phase of pull tabs? Hmm I've been detecting for a few years now and still pull tabs!.. Oh well..
Welcome to T-Net, You'll get used to your machine and find out that there are a LOT of stuff within the first 3 inches.. As you get more skilled with it you find more at deeper levels.. @ least that has been my experience. Learn your Bounty Hunter, I had the joy of using one that was lent to me on a trip out to Maine. It found coins, railroad items, all sorts of stuff!.. Keep up the posts! and as always
Happy Hunting!
J2

S

seger98

welcome aboard! Good luck in the future... I think alittle better machine for you if your just starting out would be the Garret Ace 250.. Seems alot of people on here use it, I use a minelab but my wife uses a Ace.

Chris

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to our world of MD. I also started out with a bounty hunter and as you use it you will learn more about it and you will start finding deeper coins and yes when the ground get some moisture it will help with deeper coins. Dos't throw away your pull tabs, brass, copper and metal that you find. I put up some small boxes and after I came home I seperated it all and keep it and it will help pay for your detector. I saved mine and it help me buy my next detector. So enjoy and keep your stuff it all adds up......Matt

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
welcome to t-net.make you have luck at hunting.

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you post before and after pix, and a picture of the template print on paper? Great piece of history for your town.

The moisture will help with depth.
If you don't have a pinpointer, get one. Once you use it you will wonder how you ever managed without. I like the Vibra probe for use when it might get wet, and the Garret Propointer for all other times. Not that you asked, but a pinpointer is a must. When you dig the hole, you know by now that most targets are the same color as the soil and hard to find even when they're staring right at you. The pinpointer saves alot of time and frustration, takes you right to it. You're in a great area for treasure!

Born Free

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
Welcome to T'net JD! Don't get discouraged - trash is part of the game. If this is your very first detector, be happy - the 505 is pretty decent. Just like everyone has mentioned - learn your machine. There are lots of Bounty Hunter bashers here, and then there are those that prefer Bounty Hunters. Just take a look at Montana Jim's profile/finds and you'll see what you are capable of finding. I started with a BH Quickdraw II and completely fell in love with it - especially after I picked up the four inch coil for it. That machine got me my first three silver coins and some neat relics as well. The more you learn how it actually operates and the more you get used to the little "voices" it uses - you'll be finding the goods in no time. Remember the three "P"s - Persistence, Patience and Practice. Don't go out expecting to find a jar full of gold and silver - just go out and have fun. As 49'er said - you joined the best site on the 'net. There are many folks here willing to help with just about any questions you could have about this great "addiction" - keep on swingin'... :thumbsup:

Oh - as far as depth goes, Bounty Hunters go deep - you'll see... :thumbsup:

John Deere Digger

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2007
So Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Prism5, Minelab SE
Welcome, just get use to that detector. More things will pop out, and I have found alot of good coins in the top three inches. HH
JDD

OP
OP
just-dig

just-dig

Dec 25, 2008
North Texas
Thanks for all the kind words and the welcome! I'm going to get a print made from the template then I'll post pictures.
Thanks again, Mark

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to the forum mate! ;D And a Merry Christmas and Happy new year for you!
Enjoy your stay. :wink:

Regards,
Eu

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
just-dig said:
Hi, I've been watching the past couple of months. I really enjoy this site. I'm new to this hobby. I'm an avid collector of indian artifacts and have been digging for points all over Texas for about ten years now.
I've always wanted to get a metal detector and finally did two months ago in a trade for a car. It's a bounty hunter pioneer 505. I'm pretty dissapointed with it as far as depth goes. I only seem to pick up coins in the first three inches of soil. I've been hunting my yard and my mothers as well as a couple of jobsites but really haven't found more than a few wheat pennies and several nickels. Did I mention tons of pulltabs and shredded up pieces of aluminum and all kinds of brass?.....lol
Anyway, today I found something unique in my mothers yard. It's a 3x5 copper template for a wedding announcement from 1928. It took some careful cleaning to be able to read. The man that sold the lots to start our town back in 1880 was announcing his daughters wedding. My mother called her sister and she remembered where the print shop was for the town newspaper.
I'm pretty excited with the new hobby or obsession what ever you want to call it. I have access to countless homes here in town to be able to search with. The only problem I see so far is the depth with this detector. I'm picking up large targets down at the six to eight inch depth but it just wont hit on anything coin size from that depth. The ground is really dry and hard here right now. Will getting some moisture in the ground give me better depth with this machine or will I be forced to upgrade?....lol
Thanks, I'll post some pictures if I ever find anything worth showing.
Yes damper soil does give a little more depth to the signals. just enjoy searching and the finds will eventualy come.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't they tell you its called 'trash digging' not treasure hunting. Be happy with all your trash, your clearing it from the ground & can make money at the same time. Then from time to time, your be digging the next ring pull when out pops a gold ring. (& I still dig tons of trash 20 years on) :thumbsup:

Happy Hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread