Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1800's Lazy mans Rest looks promissing... part of the underground railroad

I won't get into all of the details right now but I was given permission to hunt a nice colonial working farm site that was also part of the underground railroad during the civil war :sunny: I have been driving past this place all summer but no one is ever home. ??? :dontknow: Well I just found out that the owner lives 25 miles away in another town and is trying to sell his other place to move into this one. His mother passed on this year and he inherited the property. It is known as the Lazy Mans Rest. It was built in the early 1800's. The pictures will tell the rest of the story. This should be a virgin site and should produce some coppers..... :sunny: hopefully.I can't wait to get in here. I will probably lose sleep over this tonight. The bell was probably used as a dinner bell for all of the workers, I guess. The white, small house looks to be a guest house or for the farm hand.?? The weather is to be unseasonably warm Sat and Sun. The rain is moving out now. Oh yes!!!! :hello2: The other pictures are the other place just 1/4 mile down the road. I should be able to get into this place as well. :headbang: I talked to the ladies father and he said she should be OK with it. I tried earlier but she didn't answer the door. I'm sure she was afraid to as I am a complete stranger and she is single. :stop: Worse case I'll have her father talk to here. :headbang: I know him and he is pretty cool. Enjoy Ron

This is the place I'm trying to get permission to hunt. Owners dad told me that it was built in the 1820's

017.jpg

019.jpg

The rest of the pics are the Lazy mans Rest. This is the place I can hunt!!

022.jpg

IMG]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn52/crazyjarhead1/046.jpg[/img]

045.jpg

044.jpg

043.jpg

IMG]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn52/crazyjarhead1/022.jpg[/img]

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

Check this link out. :o Click here, check out the link :o

http://www.champaignohio.com/Bq15.php

Upvote 0

Golden1

Bronze Member
May 2, 2008
Pittsfield ma
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM IV,Whites M-6
Re: New Colonial site looks promissing... and I get the green light to hunt it

I sure hope it works out for you CJH :thumbsup: It looks like a sweet place to hunt :thumbsup:

G1

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: New Colonial site looks promissing... part of the underground railroad

Good luck CJH. That looks like an awesome place :thumbsup:

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

silverfreak said:
Good luck CJH. That looks like an awesome place :thumbsup:

Thanks bryce and G1 :icon_sunny:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ron,
All I can say it, "YOU LUCKY DOG!!!!"
Oh yeah, and one more thing. "I'm totally jealous." ;D :wink:
Both of those places look like fantastic spots. You should stay busy there until next summer! I wish you all the best, and I hope it IS a virgin site. :thumbsup:
Can't wait to see your finds.
-Doug-

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ModernMiner said:
Ron,
Both of those places look like fantastic spots. You should stay busy there until next summer! I wish you all the best, and I hope it IS a virgin site. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

Thanks Doug. I know, I am lucky. It has been raining all day. I jumped out between rain clouds and dropped my coil.... 3 hits in a small area. Then the rain again. The ground is still frozen on top and my digger is wore out so I retreated until sat.

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5

That's cool, I know you were showing me that place and telling me how you wanted to get permission on it. Congrats, you're very good at gaining permission on these old properties. Hope you pull some old coppers and some silver too.
Happy Holidays, Steve

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

daytondigger said:
That's cool, I know you were showing me that place and telling me how you wanted to get permission on it. Congrats, you're very good at gaining permission on these old properties. Hope you pull some old coppers and some silver too.
Happy Holidays, Steve

Thanks Steve. Wanted to get with you that one week but you were tied up and after that I wasn't here..... then the weather didn't cooperate. You just have to present yourself as a salesman and believe in it's cause. What made it even better is that the owner, Tom, was in the Marines. So was I. When I mentioned that his eyes lite up a little. Then we starting a conversation. That was icing on the cake :D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

crazyjarhead said:
ModernMiner said:
Ron,
-Doug-

Thanks Doug. I know, I am lucky. It has been raining all day. I jumped out between rain clouds and dropped my coil.... 3 hits in a small area. Then the rain again. The ground is still frozen on top and my digger is wore out so I retreated until sat.

I'll be right up with my wife and daughters hair dryers to thaw that place out for you. :tongue3:
Good luck Ron. Heck, you got ME as excited as you now. I'm not going to sleep either. :wink:
-Doug-

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ModernMiner said:
crazyjarhead said:
ModernMiner said:
Ron,
-Doug-

I'll be right up with my wife and daughters hair dryers to thaw that place out for you. :tongue3:
Good luck Ron. Heck, you got ME as excited as you now. I'm not going to sleep either. :wink:
-Doug-

The only thing that sucks now is the weather. This is winter. It's going to be mild for a while but I just wish I found the owner back in the warmer days :D I need lots of time to comb it over good.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

crazyjarhead said:
ModernMiner said:
crazyjarhead said:
ModernMiner said:
Ron,
-Doug-

-Doug-

The only thing that sucks now is the weather. This is winter. It's going to be mild for a while but I just wish I found the owner back in the warmer days :D I need lots of time to comb it over good.

That's o.k. Those coins have been there 200 years already so what's a little bit more time. :wink:
-Doug-

S

seger98

Geez jarhead, I'm gonna lose sleep tonight waiting to see the awesome finds that should be there!

Chris

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

seger98 said:
Geez jarhead, I'm gonna lose sleep tonight waiting to see the awesome finds that should be there!

Chris

;D ;D

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll

Great looking site. Try and locate the gardens and hunt those grounds for buckles, buttons and coins. Good luck out there.

smokedaddy

Mar 4, 2008
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum / Fisher 1266X / Minelab Sovereign Elite/ Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey Jarhead, that guy standing in the vinyard just dropped an 1854 seated half out of his pocket. Now get out there and get it. Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

smokedaddy said:
Hey Jarhead, that guy standing in the vinyard just dropped an 1854 seated half out of his pocket. Now get out there and get it. Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

:D :D The vineyard is now a winter wheat field. It's bare except for the new sprouts. This place should keep me busy for a long time. Thanks SD

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ed-NH said:
Great looking site. Try and locate the gardens and hunt those grounds for buckles, buttons and coins. Good luck out there.

Thanks Ed and Seger. I have no idea where to begin. I'll start around the house. Out back by the barn is cut, but not like a lawn mower. There is plenty of grass that is manicured though

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: 1800's Lazy mans Rest looks promissing... part of the underground railroad

DD-777 said:
Looks to me like your headed for a "banner" 2009... :thumbsup:

That would be nice, but you just never know what you are going to dig from this earth. I guess you get lucky sometimes. I do it for the fun of it. Great hobby. Thanks for the hop 777. Hope you have a banner year, too :icon_sunny: Ron

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1800's Lazy mans Rest looks promissing... part of the underground railroad

Wow,

Definately going to be a great spot. You hunting with the ACE 250?

Crackbadger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread