Attachments

• gw button closeup 1.1.JPG
    gw button closeup 1.1.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 4,748
Upvote 2

mghcal

Greenie
Dec 26, 2008
Hi all, new to the forum and have to say it's probably my favorite site on the web! Great looking button, the site I found said this... Two other less commonly seen buttons are the "Dotted Script GW" button, with GW in large dotted script letters in the center, and LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENT in large raised letters around the border, and the "Plain Roman GW" button, with GW in Roman letters in the center, LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENT around the border, and elsewhere plain. There are also several smaller buttons, two with laurel wreaths and one with 15 stars, and all three with "LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENT" around the border. Each of these types is quite rare and it would not be surprising to find that there are between 10 and 20 surviving examples of each type. An apparently extremely rare variety of the Dotted Script GW button is a script variety (i.e., not dotted) (referred to in Albert’s book as the "Script GW").
http://www.politicalbadges.com/washington_inaugural_buttons2.htm
Congratulations!! Michael G.

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow....

Congrats on an amazing and well deserved Banner find .... The Washington inaugural buttons are very scarce especially in the great condition that yours is in. After 30 years of detecting its still on my wish list !!!!

Definitely a great end to your season !!!

I Hope 2009 is just as good for you !!!

Brian

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Thats a great find,i found something almost like the front. Could you post a pic of the back ? ,im not sure if mine is the same or not ....Great find! And should be on the banner :thumbsup:

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Amazing piece of history. Find of a lifetime for sure.

Congrats on making the banner!

:wav:

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Interesting find. I just over the weekend re-watched the movie National Treasure. Really cool to come here to the forum today and see an actual Washington inaugural button! :)

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome button Leddel! This one is 1789, 5a classification. GW oval, brass medium spacing. In 2003 at a Stacks auction, the collection of J. Harold Cobb sold. The button you have had a hammer price of $3,000. Rarity classification of "C" or common. Nice Find......................."The Hoggester" :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
FYI I found your button on Google and that particular Washington 1789 Inaugural Button w/ Gold GW Initials sold for $4,760.00!

Here is the link:
http://tinyurl.com/9lbe36

Congratulations again on a once in a lifetime find!

Neil

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
:o

Slap me around and call me Susan!!!! Great find. I was just in NY and visited the churc where GW got his blessing as first President. What a keep sake to have found.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
that Washington Button is in fantastic shape! a banner find for sure! :o outstanding!

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding George Washington inaugural button. It's even in great shape. Does it have the shank on the back?

I would love to just live in an area where we had a chance to find one of those.

WTG :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Very nice button !!! I found mine this fall ( eagle and star variety ) Yours is in way better shape than mine.

Once again congrats and welcome to the G.W.Button club. VPR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions