The pulse quickens: 3 small coppers

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I just knew that playing Ben Roethlisberger was a bad idea for the Steelers today; as I left for the woods and our old foundation, he was laying on the field in Pittsburgh, the victim of a concussion. Duh! Anyway, it was a nice sunny afternoon in Steeler country, temperature in the mid-high 40's; where better to be than in the woods in search of more treasure? My last visit produced an Indian and a large cent and I was hoping to duplicate one or the other. I spent some time clearing an area just a little further west than I did last time, then searched it. Nothing. With maybe an hour of good daylight left, I started to search along a creek that ran either through or beside the farm; maybe someday we'll figure out which. As usual, I found shotgun shells, a rifle bullet or two and some iron. At one point, I was at the top of a high bank above a tributary when I got a real solid coin signal. It fluctuated between quarter and half, and I thought I might just have something! I started to dig, pulled out some dirt and the signal was still in the ground. Pulled some more dirt and had a signal in loose dirt on top. Easily found: one small cent; now let's see what kind it is. Would you believe a Memorial?! :'( I was still getting a signal in the hole, so I went back in. Another penny, this one a wheat. Still another signal in the ground; this, too, was a wheat. I surmised right there that this was a drop from 1959 into the early 60's. At home, I cleaned up the coins a little; sure enough, it was a 59D memorial with 41 and 53 wheats. How they got there, away from the foundation, is anyone's guess. Probably a hunter or hiker visiting the site long after the farm started to overgrow.
I continued on and came to a point just west of our clearing and across a small spring. Quickly, I dug three canning lids with porcelain liners. This area is probably a small dump; we'll have to do some clearing and more searching. I also found the remains of a huge oak; this will also bear some scrutiny. There are so many areas to hunt out there; I try to be systematic about it, but sometimes it's just fun to wander and try your luck. That method found an 1865 Indian in November and a 3 coin drop today, and also allowed me to stumble on to other features. I don't usually post pictures of this type of find, but it's still a story worth telling.

Upvote 0

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Glad you got out for a while today.

You never know what you'll find wandering around in the woods. That's what
makes it so interesting.

We did the same thing here , but the weather was a little cooler than by you.
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread