terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have loved following this site for years, but have never posted. This is for two reasons: 1) I've rarely found anything that exceptional and 2) I've been intimidated by the learning curve of getting a photo posted. Nonetheless, I LOVE THIS HOBBY!! My thirteen year old son and I have been detecting for two years now, and we're addicted. This site has been a fabulous inspiration. Your stories give us the feeling that the next great find will be our own. We have learned so much from all of the contributors here, and are so grateful to you. Thanks!

On to the story. Friday was my best day ever. I had an hour free to detect during the day, and went to a 1906 suburban house just outside of Washington DC. I had gotten permission to hunt this home before, and had found few wheaties and a few silver dimes there in the past. This visit I decided to focus on a 20x20 area of lawn between the front door and the street. I had hunted this area before, but was hoping to find something that had been previously missed. I learned this from others on TNET, when they say "a site is never hunted out". Boy was that good advice.

Anyway, I soon unearthed 5 or 6 memorials that had previously been missed. I then got a weak 80 VDI signal at 4" that was very promising. I felt this might be another Rosie like I'd found here before. I dug a nice plug and scanned it with the coil. It now read a strong 85 VDI. Maybe a quarter? I split the plug in half and found THREE SILVER COINS stuck together in the split!!!. Carefully I removed the coins and carried them to a nearby lily pond to rinse them. My heart was racing when I discovered three BARBERS--two quarters (1906 and 1911 S) and one dime (1905 S)!! The 1911 S quarter was in exceptional condition, I believe it to be the prettiest coin (of any age) I have ever held in my hands. The other two coins are much more worn.

Knowing I had only a few minutes left to hunt, I wrapped the coins in paper napkins and placed them back in my truck. I hoped to find something else, and was soon rewarded with a 60VDI target at 4". I expected another zincoln but was thrilled with my first indian head, a 1899! It has a beautiful green patina, and is in better condition than any of the wheats I had found at this site. What a day!!!

The 1911 S quarter is clearly the best find of the day. I was hoping that someone here could advise me on how to further clean the coin, or if I should even try. All I have used was soap and warm water. As you can see, this did not get all of the dirt off, and I'm afraid to do more. In addition, I was wondering if it would be worth it to get the coin professionally cleaned and slabbed, as others on this site do. I hope the photos do this coin justice. It really is sharp. It has 90% of the sheen of a brand new uncirculated coin. Is this unusual for a coin that has been in the ground for nearly 100 years?

Thanks for reading.

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_1062.JPG
    IMG_1062.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 1,311
  • IMG_1064.JPG
    IMG_1064.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 1,323
  • IMG_1051.jpg
    IMG_1051.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 1,309
  • IMG_1050.JPG
    IMG_1050.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,295
Upvote 0
OP
OP
terpfan

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DD-777 said:
Welcome to T'net Steve! That's a heck of a first post - those coins are fantastic! Ultimately, the decision to clean or not to clean, is yours. Personally, that 1911 (with the exception of that little bit of tarnish on the reverse) is spectacular. I would think it could grade at AU-50 at the very least. That would put it in the price range of around 250 to 300 bucks. While it is not a very rare coin - it's not everyday that one sees one in such great shape. If it were me, I would contact PCGS or NGC via e-mail and a couple of pics, and see what they say about it. In the meanwhile, don't clean it or give it to anyone to clean. That is most certainly a beautiful coin. Congrats and once again, welcome aboard... :thumbsup:
Thanks DD. I'll e-mail PCGS or NGC and see what they say.

OP
OP
terpfan

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bilt46 said:
Nice coins, Its a great feeling finding more than 1 in a hole.. Was the INDIAN in the same hole? Listen for whispers around that hole.
BillT.

Thanks BillT. The Indian was about five feet away from the coin spill. I re-checked the hole of the Barbers, hoping for another hit. Nothing more. Those three oldies in one plug sure got me stoked!

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Steve,

That was worth waiting a couple of years for on your first post! A Barber dream come true! Don't clean 'em! - Jim

S

seger98

Welcome to the posting part of T-net, nice finds on the barber, hope to see more nice finds in the future! :thumbsup:

Chris

OP
OP
terpfan

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
daytondigger said:
Nice coin spill, congrats. I wouldn't clean the coin any more. I don't feel it's rare enough to send out to be cleaned or slabbed. But a real nice addition to anyone's coin collection. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks, daytondigger. This is new to me, since I've never before found a coin worth more than a few bucks. What does a coin need to be worth to warrant cleaning/slabbing?
Steve

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Barber collection! Great finds do happen just not very often, LOL! HH, Mike

OP
OP
terpfan

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Narthoniel said:
Welcome to Tnet! You sure know how to make an introduction for yourself! You say pictures are intimidating to post, but you did exceptionally well posting and photographing those! Wonderful finds!
Anthony
Thanks, Anthony. Now that I understand how to get the photos up, posting will be a breeze. I had difficulty getting the color right on these coins, though. The barbers are really silver in color and not at all yellowed. Maybe its because they were not photographed under natural light, only under a table lamp.
Steve

OP
OP
terpfan

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captn_SE said:
Beautiful coin spill!!

I would just leave the coins as is!! That's a plug you will never forget!! :thumbsup:

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan
Thanks Dan. Next time I'll have to remember to take a photo of the plug. I've really enjoyed your photos and videos over the years. The funny thing about this find: I had a camera in the truck, but was so excited at the time that I lost my mind. I remember seeing three beautiful silver coins all together, but can't for the life of me tell you when I realized what they were--likely not until they were completely rinsed off. I probably couldn't have told you my name at the time. Taking a photo at that point of discovery was the LAST thing on my mind!
Steve

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Fantastic finds!!! I have yet to find a barber quarter. They are sure beautiful coins. congrats!

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man those are some very nice finds!!! I would not worry about cleaning that IH too much more..She looks pretty good to me!! Way to go!!

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on some great looking coins. Man that is one great looking Barber Quarter. :thumbsup:

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I/WE hate you >:( :wink: ;D

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post...I love the Barbers. The 1911 is in great shape but since it is not that rare I'm not sure if I would pay to have it cleaned and slabbed but that is completely up to you. You can pick up a plastic quarter case from your local coin store which will protect it and allow you you show it off without worrying about others handling the coin.

Congrats and hopefully there will be many more posts from you in the future.

NJ

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
Man........Thats gonna make me get off my fat azz and go detecting for a while.
Well done on the spill!! Yes, the 1911 is one sweet coin and most likely were lost in 1911 or 1912. Its entirely up to you to have it slabbed but dont clean it anymore yourself. No, its not worth thousands now, but years down the road after its been passed on to your son or even grandchild, it could be worth pretty good money. So getting it slabbed now might be protecting it for the future.
Regardless, those are some sweet finds and I'm glad you went back to give it another shot. Take a good look at your indian also, because its sometimes hard to dig those with the liberty still showing. That alone would make me happy. 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread