Killer Day for Silver Coins

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
This has been my best little stretch ever detecting. Since the 26th, I have scored 16 silver coins. Today, I hunted an old house property that I recently recieved permission for. I was having bad luck at first, b/c there were pieces of clipped copper all over the place from an old roof repair.
I noticed a few poles in the backyard that looked like laundry poles. As soon as I got close to them, I picked up a big nice noise. The target box was telling me half dollar, but it was jumping around a bit. I dug down and saw a silver quarter!! I stuck my probe in the hole and heard more sweet sounds. Quickly recovered the second quarter, which turned out to be a Standing Liberty. The probe told me there was another one on the side of the hole. Unfortunately, I scratched it when I dug the initial plug, but 3 silver quarters in a hole is a first. I find it very interesting that a 1951, 1956 and a Standing Liberty were in the same spill.

As I moved on I picked up a Rosie, and then the signals went dead for a while. The next good one was fairly deep and sounded like a wheat penny. I dug down and found the coin. I went to rub it so I could see if it was a wheat. Well, it said "one dime" and I knew it was a tarnished Barber. Turned out to be a pretty good one- 1898 O. The backside pic looks like I scratched it, but I didn't. The piece just didn't tarnish in a line across the back. Maybe it was next to a little root?

I really wanted my buddy Lostlake to join on this hunt, so I decided to leave. Told myself one last signal, and it came pretty quick. It was locked on the half dollar area in the target box, and I knew it was one. Dug a big plug, and it was in the dirt. The dings on the side were from its life in circulation. I didn't scratch it. 1943D, and only my 3rd silver half.
The total and great variety of this hunt, makes it a great one for my type of hunting. If the weather holds, I may get in one more at this property before the 1st.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson
www.prehistoricartifacts.com

Attachments

• 122908a.jpg
    122908a.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 986
  • 122908b.jpg
    122908b.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 982
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great day 8) 8) 8)

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome silver day, you have a nice site and very considerate of you to slow down and invite your buddy! HH, Mike

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Nice Finds Jon!

Not too many of us have days like that nowadays.
Mike

topdog

Dec 2, 2007
Navarre, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
Awesome finds, this is what our hobby is all about. Having a wonderful day of digging up silver and inviting our detecting buddy along to experience the same. Continued Success in 2009.

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Wow,what an awesome silver day you had!!!A SLQ,a barber,a half,a 3 quarter plug.These are the kind of days you never forget. :thumbsup:

plumloko

Feb 11, 2008
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, Whites XLT
Very nice Silver!
I wish I could be out detecting >:(

Attachments

• PICT0375.JPG
    PICT0375.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 750

Top Member Reactions