Five Large Coppers and a Roman Coin (in Vermont?)

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
I just had the best day of detecting that I have ever had (yet). I could not believe what I was finding. A 1788 Massachusetts copper in beautiful condition, a 1798 draped bust large cent in good shape, a 1818 and 1825 large cents and a very worn copper which could be a Connecticut copper. Also found a nice standing liberty quarter. OK now comes the topper. A roman coin. Constantine 320 to 337 AD, Gloria Exerctus. Now how did that get here. All of these coins were about 6 to 8 inches deep including the Roman Coin. (the standing liberty was at 3 inches). Could they have used roman coins back in the colonial days. Does anyone have any info on this or has anyone else found one here?
Also found some nice relics including a beautiful brass buckle and some nice colonial buttons. I also found some iron stuff that is being cleaned. It was a really great day. As I was leaving the neighbor next store wanted to know if I would like to do his property to. Guess where I am going to be Monday morning....Lance

Attachments

• August 05 large cents 037.jpg
    August 05 large cents 037.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 817
  • August 05 large cents 046.jpg
    August 05 large cents 046.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 791
  • August 05 large cents 041.jpg
    August 05 large cents 041.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 794
Upvote 0
OP
OP
comfyinvermont

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Here are a few more pictures...Lance
The Roman coin is from Constantine Jr. The front reads CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C and the reverse GLORIA EXERCITVS (The glory of the army) and was minted about 337 AD.
Heres a great site
http://romancoin.info/

Attachments

• August 05 large cents 042.jpg
    August 05 large cents 042.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 805
  • August 05 large cents 044.jpg
    August 05 large cents 044.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 782

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW Lance, You had an AWSOME Day.
CONGRATS !

Jeff

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
You never cease to amaze me, Lance!? Jeff or Marc, can we get a smiley emoticon of someone bowing down to another?? I would use it now!!! :-*

Attachments

• muchbowing.gif
    muchbowing.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 749

DetectoDude

May 2, 2004
So. Ca.
Another day of fun congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope we can duplicate those finds when I come out next month. I wish I were there today!!!

OP
OP
comfyinvermont

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
DetectoDude said:
Another day of fun congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope we can duplicate those finds when I come out next month. I wish I were there today!!!

This was just the first half of the field. I saved the other half for you Bro....Lance

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Good finds, congrats! About the roman, some times as early as the 1950's schools would pass out old romans and other world coins to student. Perhaps you found some childs lost goodies, and I'm sure if so , a whippin' ensude when they got home! HAHA HA!
Good luck and HH!
Chris

OP
OP
comfyinvermont

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
southern gent said:
Good finds, congrats! About the roman, some times as early as the 1950's schools would pass out old romans and other world coins to student. Perhaps you found some childs lost goodies, and I'm sure if so , a whippin' ensude when they got home! HAHA HA!
Good luck and HH!
Chris
Thats a thought, but It was found at about 7 inches which was the depth that I was finding the large cents at. If it had been lost in the fifties it would have been much shallower. The wheaties and other newer coins were all at about 3 inches. Lance

Roaddog

Jun 8, 2005
Galveston, TX
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The depth is interesting. A guy I hunt with found Roman coin in the playground sand at a school here in Texas. He figured some kid took dad's coin for show and tell and then lost it.

Rich in Houston

Nov 30, 2003
Houston,Katy TX.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro UMax, Cortez & Tejon, Fisher CZ20,
Garrett GTA 1000, AT Pro & AT Max. Minelab Equanox600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gosh, Where are the pictures of that stuff?

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Comfy, Congratulations on an awesome day and an awesome summer. I am just so amazed. :o

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea right... Well maybe.... No I don't think so.. Did you clean that Roman Coin? Its in way to good of a condition to be re-found from the 50's also in real good condition to be found from over 1700 years ago. That coin was found in the middle of a cache and hardly touched from the elements. Also finding Roman Coins has increased dramatically in just the last few years. Someone re-lost that coin more recently, maybe someones kid brought it over and lost it. They sell for about $2.00 retail. You may get $3.00 retail, for that example.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most excellent hunt! As for the Roman, it's possibly from a personal collection that was lost or maybe a replica, it's in very nice condition. HH and congrats on a great day of detecting, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread