Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi gang,

Went to the big field again today and hit a pocket spill by a huge old tree stump. The signal was "ify" and bouncing around but high pitched like silver. The signal said 4" deep. The ground around the tree stump was extremely soft so the shovel jumped down to 4". When I opened the hole I saw the edge of a silver coin and sucked a big breath in. I had gotten only a little clad the rest of the day. After I got the half dollar out, I checked the hole like Jeff always tells me. I got another hit and pulled a merc dime. Yahoooo. As I was closing the hole I got another hit and pulled a wheatie.

A little earlier in the day I got a hit at +14 VDI but a crisp sound so I dug. That is usually can slaw but not often in this big field. Wow was I surprised when I cleaned it off and saw the 5 on the back. These old nickles are great but the date is almost impossible to read.

This is my first old coin pocket spill and I am extremely excited. My hunting buddy, Jeff was thrilled too...I just can't mention the words he used. Something about my luck and his lack of it...lol

1- 1909 Barber half dollar
1- 1925 Merc dime
1- 1870 5 cent piece
1- 1934 Wheat cent

100_0752.jpg

100_0764.jpg

100_0765.jpg

100_0763.jpg

100_0762.jpg

100_0761.jpg

100_0768.jpg

100_0771.jpg

100_0766.jpg

100_0773.jpg

SKD

Upvote 0

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
What a rush to dig a barber Half!! Congrats!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
That is a serious spill. That half is absolutely great. I would take that shield nickle anyday of the week. Congrats... :thumbsup: jgas

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Darn, Terry........... Save some for the rest of us buckeys :D Very nice digs. That would make my day for sure :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Exceptional coin finds.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Attachments

• tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 1,308
  • tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 1,319

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Congtrats on the old pocket spill SKD!!! That big Barber is saweeeet :thumbsup:
Jerry

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Awesome pocket spill!! :thumbsup:

Congrats!!

CAPTN SE
Dan

B

BIG61AL

Wow that is one sweet Merc....that half must had had you heart racing...those scratches look like a kid was playing with it, guess he dropped it too....Lucky for you!!

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
wow Terry!

I am making plans on coming back over there asap........ that is 2 Barber halves outta that spot.... and your shield nickel trumps my V........ the thing is.. there has to be way more cool old stuff there.......... you keep this up and you wont ever see the need to upgrade and buy more stuff from me LOL

Congrats my friend..... these finds couldnt come to a nicer guy!

Randy

OP
OP
SoreKneesDayton

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jack(IN) said:
What a rush to dig a barber Half!! Congrats!
Thanks Jack,
You need to come back and dig with Jeff and I again.

Terry
SKD

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! Thanks for posting. With the great spread in coin years, makes you wonder if the coins were dropped at different times. Maybe people were gathering under that tree over many generations. I hope you can find more in that area.

OP
OP
SoreKneesDayton

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John Deere Digger said:
Nice finds. Looks like someone put some strange marks on that half. Still great.
JDD
YEs the marks look like someone used the half as a hammer against key head or nail or something. That is why I showed the closeup of the neck area. Just plain weird. That is my second Barber half from that field. I never expected to find even one.

SKD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread