more good stuff at the ol ballfield (including my first buffalo nickle!)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
went back to the old park/ballfield this morning. only stayed about an hour though. i get the funny feeling that someone is going to give me crap about digging soon. >:( no one has said anything but i get a lot of neighbors standing at their doors and windows staring at me. from all the dirty looks i get you would think that i was vandalising the park! ill give it a month or so to cool off before i go back.....i don't want to screw this place up because its an awesome spot. i don't think anyone has ever hunted it before! today i found;
my first BUFFALO NICKLE 1937 with a beautiful date on it!
1-1957 ROOSEVELT DIME
.27 cents in clad
not a ton of stuff but i was only there an hour.

after that i went to an old church for another hour. found a cheapo ring and a football pin from 1989. the sun came out and it started getting hot so i called it a day.

i really wish there was a way i could calm everyones concerns/curiosities about me detecting this neighborhood park.i grew up in this neighborhood and spent a lot of time there in my childhood.....i certainly don't want to mess the park up. i guess the people that live there don't know that. some of them probably don't care to know that. :'( i guess all i can do until i get the opportunity to speak to someone is to go there sparingly and try not to draw too much attention.

Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: more good stuff at the ol ballfield (including my fist buffalo nickle!)

Hollowpointed,

sure seems to be a good site. Congrat on the Buffalo, and silver is always nice.

Nice finds.

Will be hard keeping away; heck perhaps they are just interested, go back. Stop and say hello, show them the clad, all your doing is getting some loose change. They are not missing out on anything in THEIR park.

have a good un...........
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

SaintSea

Feb 13, 2005
Central Florida
Re: more good stuff at the ol ballfield (including my fist buffalo nickle!)

Nice digs, Hollowpoint!
I've often said that I feel that the fact that I'm a woman really helps a lot in this hobby. ?I think that folks are less nervous about having a 'strange" woman lurking around in the grass than they are about having a man do the same thing. ?I know, however, that there are times when by the end of a long day prospectin' my clothes are full of dirt, my hands look like I've just plowed the back 40 without any farm implements and my hair is shooting out at all angles! ?But, I can't say that I've been hassled by anyone since I stared the hobby. ?I'm always imagining different scenarios - and my witty retorts, though - because the odds are that it's sure to happen someday!
Ruth

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
yeah i know sherm! i already want to go back!! maybe they are just interested. i sure hope so. my intuition tells me their not though. then again..........it could just be the pessimistic side of my personality getting the best of me! ;).

i havnt actually been hassled by anyone saintsea............yet. i dunno...maybe i just worry too much! ;D

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds H/P

keep it up!

HH

Lonewolfe

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the coins, Hollow.

I'd keep going there as long as you are very careful with covering up your holes. They probably are just curious. When I did my first sidewalk tearup, last week, there were so many people watching me. I think they were just curious. Nearly all of them asked if I found anything. I just show them and talked to them. It's amazing what a friendly hello and a little conversation will do. You just have to show them the junk you found along with the good stuff. You don't want it to appear too good!

Of course, like SaintSea said, it helps to be female because you're not a threat. Maybe you should wear a dress next time.
;D

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
"Of course, like SaintSea said, it helps to be female because you're not a threat. Maybe you should wear a dress next time."

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! now thatWOULDbe something to stare at!!!!! :o :o :o

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAHA! Now that is funny yall! Here I am thinking of dressing like a man so no one will bother me! LOL!

;D

Great finds HP!!!!!! Go back soon!!!!

;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread