Washington Inaugural Button

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
This has been some weekend. I went back to the place that has been putting out all of the large coppers. Started to work on the neighbors property and was not finding much except a wheattie and three neat condom tins from the 20's I think. I'll post them separately. Something told me to go back over to a little rise in the other property. I did and got almost an immediate signal. I dug and pulled out a plug and there was this large colonial button face down at the bottom of the hole. I love the large old colonial buttons and this one still had the loop on it, although it was smashed in. I turned it over, and I wish I had a picture of my face. There looking up at me was the eagle. I new immediately what I had found. I don't think my feet touched the ground as I ran back to the car to get my camera. When things settled down I went back to hunting and found two more large coppers, a 1802 large cent and a very worn King George III half cent. Also found a neat little item with three initials that would have clamped on to leather. Appears to be GEC or JEC. I will have to research that one. What a weekend!!!!!
Lance

Attachments

• August 05 large cents 052.jpg
    August 05 large cents 052.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 6,095
  • August 05 large cents 064.jpg
    August 05 large cents 064.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 6,036
  • August 05 large cents 062.jpg
    August 05 large cents 062.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 6,000
Upvote 2

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc
OP
OP
comfyinvermont

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
JT70 said:
Wow! Thats just great at only 6" i would guess it would be possible for any decent detector to find. I am just dying to find one of those it is at the top of my wish list. what was the detector telling you it was? a penny or something?

thanks

JT

JT, It showed up at about a VDI 64 or screw cap and zinc penny range (I always dig everything when out in relic land. Can never tell what might be there)...Lance

OP
OP
comfyinvermont

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Here is a great site with all that you would ever want to know about Washington buttons. It was emailed to me by Don in SJ. Thank you Don very much.
http://moscow2.pld.com/kirk/CobbGW/index.html
According to this site, and J. Harold Cobb, who wrote "George Washington Inuagural Bottons and medalets, 1789 - 1793" There are only 28 know examples of this button (29 now) and 12 possible others that can't be confirmed. A perfect example (and I do mean perfect) sold for $9500. at a recent auction. It is listed by Cobb as variety 4C...Lance

Fredneck

May 7, 2005
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000, ORX, White's XLT, AT Gold for Fresh Water
HOLY SMOKES MAN !! What a weekend.....CONGRATS !! Thats a button that is certainly on my wish list. Thats what its all about right there.

Dave

G

grotus

WOW that is awsome! I wish we had some old stuff like that over here on the west coast. Way to go.
grotus

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
YAAAAAY!!!! Lance is kicking a** and taking names!!!

Guess that makes up for the Roman coin only being worth 2-3 dollars, eh?

;D

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005
Wow Lance, that is pretty incredible, makes me want to head to the east coast before the snow starts flying! Congrats on the button, I hope you have lots more success!

-Mike

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have been really tearing em up lately, is it luck or just good research?

OP
OP
comfyinvermont

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
birdman said:
You have been really tearing em up lately, is it luck or just good research?

Thanks Birdman. Some of each. I knew this area would be good, I just didn't know it would be this good. Lance

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread