Washington Inaugural Button

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
This has been some weekend. I went back to the place that has been putting out all of the large coppers. Started to work on the neighbors property and was not finding much except a wheattie and three neat condom tins from the 20's I think. I'll post them separately. Something told me to go back over to a little rise in the other property. I did and got almost an immediate signal. I dug and pulled out a plug and there was this large colonial button face down at the bottom of the hole. I love the large old colonial buttons and this one still had the loop on it, although it was smashed in. I turned it over, and I wish I had a picture of my face. There looking up at me was the eagle. I new immediately what I had found. I don't think my feet touched the ground as I ran back to the car to get my camera. When things settled down I went back to hunting and found two more large coppers, a 1802 large cent and a very worn King George III half cent. Also found a neat little item with three initials that would have clamped on to leather. Appears to be GEC or JEC. I will have to research that one. What a weekend!!!!!
Lance

Attachments

• August 05 large cents 052.jpg
    August 05 large cents 052.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 6,095
  • August 05 large cents 064.jpg
    August 05 large cents 064.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 6,036
  • August 05 large cents 062.jpg
    August 05 large cents 062.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 6,000
Upvote 2
OP
OP
comfyinvermont

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Here is a couple of more pictures. One is of a very happy me and the other is the area where I have been hunting this weekend....Lance

Attachments

• August 05 large cents 060.jpg
    August 05 large cents 060.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 5,960
  • August 05 large cents 057.jpg
    August 05 large cents 057.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 5,810

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
Awesome!!!? Please tell us more about the button...? And nice shot of the Creaping Charley Ground Ivy behind the button too, I hate that stuff.? ?;D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool Button LANCE.

CONGRATS !

Jeff

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Lance,
Nice finds! However, there's a big clue on your hat as to where you are searching and people might come and take your spot. :-)

OP
OP
comfyinvermont

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
SugarSand said:
Awesome!!! Please tell us more about the button... And nice shot of the Creaping Charley Ground Ivy behind the button too, I hate that stuff. ;D

The buttons where made to commemorate the inauguration of George Washington. The edge of the botton says Memorable Era March The Fourth 1789. It is listed in Alberts at WI 1. The button is 34 mm across. The forth of March was actually the day appointed for the organization of our new government. Washington was not sworn in until April 30th. The buttons on the coat that Washington wore when he was sworn in as president were supposed to look like this. There were all kinds of novelties and buttons that were issued at that time to celebrate the event. This is one of them. All this information comes from Alberts Book...Lance

DetectoDude

May 2, 2004
So. Ca.
WOW WOW WOW I wish I was with you when you found the button. You are like a relic magnet. Great find congrats to you, may the remainder of the month be as fruitful and productive for you. Rick, ;D

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE
man lance that place has done you very well.congrats on all the finds.are you going to be hitting that place some more..i hope so..love to see them coppers

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
Thanks for the info, Lance, I see it now on page 387. Very nice find that you should be proud of, along with all the other things you've been finding. Can't wait to see what you dig up next!!!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm so happy for you, Comfy. You deserve it because of all the great information you're willing share on this forum.

Thanks for the pictures of both you and the property that you're hunting. It makes it so much more exciting for me to see the actual property.

Congratulations again.

P.S. Do you have a price estimate on that button?

OP
OP
comfyinvermont

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
haupin said:
I'm so happy for you, Comfy. You deserve it because of all the great information you're willing share on this forum.

Thanks for the pictures of both you and the property that you're hunting. It makes it so much more exciting for me to see the actual property.

Congratulations again.

P.S. Do you have a price estimate on that button?
No I don't I was thinking of sending some pictures to Mark Parker and finding out...Lance

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Great Finds!! Iv heard that those are really rare buttons, probably worth hundreds....I know every time i see one its in W&E magazine under best finds ;D

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds, That's one rare button. Probably worth atleast a thousand. I would love to find one of those. I'll keep searching. You need to be in some old spots to make finds like yours.

Keep up the good work

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most Excellent! One helluva' weekend!

Chris

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LANCE!

Your finds are mind boggling to me! You found a button that is TWO HUNDRED AND SIXTEEN YEARS OLD!

WOW!

And those coins! What can I say?! REALLY GREAT FINDS!

;)

jt70

Apr 27, 2005
My Own World
Detector(s) used
DFX
WOW LANCE!!!

THAT IS IMPRESSIVE!!!

Do you mind my asking how deep it was and what type of soil you had there?

Wow.....September 5th is my birthday too ya know. you could always..... ;D

JT

OP
OP
comfyinvermont

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
JT70 said:
WOW LANCE!!!

THAT IS IMPRESSIVE!!!

Do you mind my asking how deep it was and what type of soil you had there?

Wow.....September 5th is my birthday too ya know. you could always..... ;D

JT
Thanks JT, it was at about 6 inches in a nice sandy loam on the side of a hill with good drainage, which kept the area pretty dry. Lance

jt70

Apr 27, 2005
My Own World
Detector(s) used
DFX
Wow! Thats just great at only 6" i would guess it would be possible for any decent detector to find. I am just dying to find one of those it is at the top of my wish list. what was the detector telling you it was? a penny or something?

thanks

JT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread