Need help with this rock i found today

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
While detecting in the woods today i noticed a rock that seemed kinda strange, i brushed off some leaves and found that it had a hole in the middle :o The hole is about the size of a chipmunk hole. It is definetly man-made (unless chipmunks can drill rock :D). I may try and carry it home tomarow but its a good mile walk out to it so it will be a good work-out if i do ;D Any ideas on what it may be ???

Attachments

• rockwithhole.JPG
    rockwithhole.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,128
Upvote 0

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan

Attachments

• Quary shot.JPG
    Quary shot.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 316
  • Tunnel Shot.JPG
    Tunnel Shot.JPG
    3.1 KB · Views: 311
OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
So can we rule out blasting ;D

Heres is a few other options i can think of:

-counterweight for something
-anchor for an umbrella on a picnic table
-anchor for a pole on a clothsline
-some other form of anchor for some other form of pole

:)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ran through this file and didn't find the better pictures. Did I miss them somehow? Would like a better look if possible. JIM

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Ill get them tonight, if i forget remind me :P Ill take a few of the inside of the hole and back and stuff :)

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
I was a licensed blaster for 11 years. We loaded holes anywhere from 1 1/2 inches to 10 inches in diameter. Holes were drilled vertically like the diagram. The top few feet was not loaded with explosives but packed with crushed rock to reduce what we call "fly rock". More or less to control the blast. Many times the top layer of rock would not break and you would get a layer with a hole in it (just like your picture). Beside quarry blasting we were contracted to blast ditches, roads cuts, sumps,basements, anywhere rock needed to be removed. I would not rule this out just yet Jake. Also, this top layer that did not break, would be to large to go through quarry crushing equipment and would be sold as "rip rap"

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
ughh forgot to take a pic >:( O well remind me tomarow and i will after school :) In that case i will not rule out a hole from blasting. I dont think this rock is worth selling, but maybe they cast it aside? Or maybe it blew all the way over there from the blast :o :D maybe not ::)

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Thats a possibilty, I've seen rock the size of a football that flew close to 1/2 mile before it landed. Almost a costly mistake my one of my co-workers. Rip rap is sold to line creeks, streams and such to prevent erosion. It could have been carted from a quarry for this purpose????? Just a thought...Not sure what the going price is, probably around $25 per ton. So it has no value

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread