Need help with this rock i found today

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
While detecting in the woods today i noticed a rock that seemed kinda strange, i brushed off some leaves and found that it had a hole in the middle :o The hole is about the size of a chipmunk hole. It is definetly man-made (unless chipmunks can drill rock :D). I may try and carry it home tomarow but its a good mile walk out to it so it will be a good work-out if i do ;D Any ideas on what it may be ???

Attachments

• rockwithhole.JPG
    rockwithhole.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,128
Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It use to be a wheel Jake.

Just kiddin! :D I don't know.....but it is neat!!!!!

;)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it Near a Mine ?

Could it Be What's Left Of a Hole that was Drilled For DYNAMITE ?

This Or Maby Drilled To Hold A Post, For unknown Reasons.

I don't Know How to Make Fire, But Could It Be Used To Hold a Stick In Place While Spinning ot Back & Forth To Make a Fire ?

Or could it have Been Used as a Mortar ?

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Is the hole drilled clean through, or is it just a depression in the rock? Also, how thick is the rock? Looks like slate from here, just curious.

PRAIRIEWOLF

Jun 26, 2005
MINNESOTA
Some rocks like these are explained like this . A soft round rock is sitting on a flat hard rock in a stream and the water starts to turn the round rock on the flatrock and the round one over time grinds itself away to the point where it is washed away by the current leaving a flat rock with a round hole in it . So if this rock is near a waterway you have a possible scenario . If not I could be on crack and not even be too sure of which planet I'm on .

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
It use to be a wheel Jake.
You never know! maybe someone started re-inventing the wheel and never finished :D

Is it Near a Mine ?

Nope no mines in my town :-\

Is the hole drilled clean through

Yep all the way! Its not slate but i think its a sedimentary or metamorphic rock, its a more common one around here.
As for thickness im not sure...I will try and carry it home tomarow, but its pretty heavy to lug thru the woods.

Some rocks like these are explained like this . A soft round rock is sitting on a flat hard rock in a stream and the water starts to turn the round rock on the flatrock and the round one over time grinds itself away to the point where it is washed away by the current leaving a flat rock with a round hole in it . So if this rock is near a waterway you have a possible scenario . If not I could be on crack and not even be too sure of which planet I'm on .

LOL :D Actaully It was near a small little stream that only runs when the snow melts, but i find that unlikely...

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Might it have been a holder for a property stake at one point? Are there any homes near the place you found it?

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
That was my first guess....But all the property markers around here that are old are just small impressions in a rock, not a huge hole going thru it, but it could be.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Hmmm, what about a kid 80 years ago with nothing to do, wandering through the woods and stumbling actoss this nice flat rock. Say that same kid got a pocket knife for his birthday.... ??? How about a marker for some farmer 100 year ago to remember where he buried his cache? :o

RainDog

Jun 10, 2005
middle Ga
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Discovery 1100
Could be a cache marker. However it looks to be an old Mill stone or possibly an old grind stone. Compare the surface to that of an Arkansas sharpening stone.

Cool find though
HH
RainDog

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Not sure, i dont think a knife did it though, but it could be an unfinished mill sonte maybe? I tried detecting under and around it...No cache :D

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
some folks in the old days drilled holes in rocks and used them for a cheap anchor. When the rope rotted through they got another rock. exanimo, ss

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jake, I 'm not sure what metamorphic rock is but we have a lot of limestone around here. If it is a thin layer of limestone many times an impression will be turned into a hole if water collects and freezes in the impression over the years. It's not that uncommon as I have seen quite a few of those holes in limestone rock. JIM

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Good mystery Jake, and a lot of good possibilities. I personally like the idea of a place used to start fires. Let us know if you come up with anything...Lance

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Today after i get home from school i will try and carry it home and clean it up, maybe there is wear to somewhere on the rock that could give us a hint of its use.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CASE CLOSED!

This is easy, it's from a drip of water dripping on the rock for a long time. Any tree branches over the rock high in the trees? Even a gorge or water fall in the area? Could have happened a million years ago in a different place. We see these things a lot in the Gorges of Watkins Glen.

You see the edges look to be smooth, man would make small cuts in the rock with a drill. Also notice that the hole has like a crater effect where the hole is wide at the top and concaved into a smaller point. That shows like a splash like pattern of a drip.

CASE CLOSED!

Keep @ it and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions