**Me and my 2 cents**

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I have been out of the MDing game for a little. Because of two main reasons one is I got a new computer game working called Counter Strike Source. It is a lot of fun and very additive too, like MDing. The other reason is all the sites I have asked to search have not returned my messages. Today however I thought I should hunt the Sand Volleyball Area in the park again, I found 1 cent 1999. Later that evening I went out in my 1859 yard and found a Wheat 1 Cent, from an unreadable year and a very old bolt. Thats all... I am happy to find anything old. The signal on this wheat was very week. Lots of corrosion on the obverse side. It read as a 1 cent/dime.
(When I say week Signal it was non-repeatable.)

Here is a picture.

Keep @ it and HH!!?

Attachments

• yardwheat 002.jpg
    yardwheat 002.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 376
Upvote 0

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
Hey MUD, congrats on the wheat and the new game! I'm almost 41 and play Star Wars Jedi Academy almost every night to unwind after work. Sometimes the youngins kick my behind, sometimes not LOL. Have fun and keep diggin the iffy signals!!!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad To Hear You Got Out Anyway.

Congrats On the Wheat

Take a PENCIL Erasser to the Date.
You Can't Hurt it At This Point.
?

? ?Jeff

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Hey mud, cool finds anyway, did you try a coin conditioner? ?You would be surprised how it can make you able to see thru the corrosion alot of the time. ?I have CS:S too, we should play sometime, great game.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Myself, I'm addicted to GTA: San Andreas. Am I seeing a trend here? Are we all just kids at heart? Sure, treasure hunting keeps us young! Why else do we spend hours in parks digging tiny holes and feeling flush with victory when we pull up a penny? Certainly not for the profit in the deal, it's the thrill of finding anything! Have you tried isopropyl alcohol on the penny? I had never tried it until I saw Conservator mention it and now I use it all the time, and you should see the crap that comes off my Wheaties!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i was going to suggest the old olive oil soak it sometimes works for me. i will try the isopropyl alcohol thing too. wheats are a good find mud. how many iffy hits do you get in that yard? i recently have had great success in an old park that had a lot of iffy signals by putting the detector in all metal,cranking up the sensativity,overlapping swings by a third,slowing way down and digging everything except iron. a lot of those crappy looking and sounding targets were good stuff!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's always nice to get out for a hunt! HH, Mike

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been digging the iffy signals as of late. I don't see how anyone can go out and hunt an hour and find 6 quarters, ten dimes, 38 pennies and a ring! When I am digging the iffys, it takes me a couple of hours to work a very small area because I am digging a lot more. Maybe I'm just slow? " Grandma was slow, but she was old"....but wait...I am a Grandpa now! Could that be it? ??? I'm always seening posts like...." I only had thirty minutes for my lunch break so I went across the street to a park and dug up a full size replica of the statue of liverty and 4 wheaties" Somebody tell me how you do it? I need in on the secret! :D JIM

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Hey Mud, I agree, I always dig the iffy signals. So many of them turn out to be good signals. Might want to try some hydrogen peroxide on the wheat. It usually helps. Also, it sounds like your calling people to get authorization to check out a property. I try to do it in person. It is a little bit harder, but it is also harder for a person to look you in the face and say no also. Congrats...Lance

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
I look for new places to hunt by walking down the road with my cute little puppy dog, then when people stop and pet him i say, Hey can i metal detect in the lot next to you! And they cant say no to the kid and his cute little puppy :P

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
it does take forever to dig everything above iron! i probably wouldnt do this at the first hunt on a new site,but for those sites that have produced a few gems and then nothing more its been working for me. my thinking is that i already got all of the shallow easy stuff,and now im going after the deeper harder to detect stuff.it takes patience though, you will be moving at a snails pace!

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, for such great responses for such a bad post.

I will try the Alcohol stuff and see what happens, I don't think an oil soak will do anything. Those iffy signals can't always be trash, right?

Keep @ it and HH!!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
there not always trash around here! and besides its your yard right!? you have all the time in the world to hunt it. it seems to have great history attached to it. ill bet there are more coins from the same era as that 2 cent peice there........they just arent so easy to detect!!

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That two cent piece banged real hard at 4 inches.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread