Some pics from my woods, just looking for anything unusual out there...

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Went for a walk thru the woods detecting today and found a few things that seemed to kinda catch my eye.
-First is a rock that is stuck into a tree root, its stuck into the wood so much i coulnd pull it out.
-Next is a huge old tree that fell a long time ago by the looks of it, strange how nothing is growing within 15 feet or so of it, not even small weeds or anything, and its on a hill with lots of sunlight too.
-this one is just a neat looking old tree i found out there, all these old trees look neat though.
Btw- does anyone know what ind of trees these are so i could better date them. Whenever i see them i begin to find stuff in the ground, so they must have a connection with old sites.

Attachments

• rockstuckintree.JPG
    rockstuckintree.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 473
Upvote 0
OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Stupid thingy says my pics are too big but theyre not... ::)

Attachments

• treeanddetector.JPG
    treeanddetector.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 467
  • fallentree.JPG
    fallentree.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 461
OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
More:
-Next to chimney is a matress remains and modern bottles...someone put there partying perhaps ::)
-Next is a pic of inside the chimney which i thought was neat..no treasure up there though :D
-heres a pic of the chimney up close...

Attachments

• chimney.JPG
    chimney.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 450
  • upchimney.JPG
    upchimney.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 453
  • matressandbottles.JPG
    matressandbottles.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 463
OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
sorry two more :-\

a barbed wire stuck in a tree...
and a strange pipe running down the stream thingy. ?The end is threaded.

Attachments

• pipe.JPG
    pipe.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 441
  • Barbedwiretree.JPG
    Barbedwiretree.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 447

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Jake,

nice photos of your woods. Seems like an interesting place.

Beautiful old tree in that one shot.

have a good un.............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
I know, i find the trees interesting how they take all different shapes. Im not sure if they are maple, i imagine if they were i would find buckets or taps wouldnt I? But they still could be ;)

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
jake, the one big standing tree looks like a few i have seen on ocracoke island that have been dated to around 300 yrs or so old, not sure the name......if you are deep in the woods, the pipe might lead you to a still site as it was common practice to run pipe from creek to still just under the surface of the ground,,,,you know them revenuers had to be outsmarted any way possible......and still sites often times mean silver dollars in glass jars as the bootleggers felt as if no place was as safe as his still site......if you find any jars full of clear liquid, give me a call, i have a special tool for disposing of these ! ha !...........gldhntr

jlewisk

Apr 4, 2005
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Whites MXT
If you could post a pic of some of the leaves that are on the trees in question, it would help to I.D. them.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hey Jake, That chimmney is a beauty. I love them. I have some old sites that have the same exact chimmneys on them. That is a old cellar hole it looks like where your at. It was probably a log home at one time. Probably from 1820-1840's. I know I have hunted a good bit of them in the past.

If there is know sighn of a foundation and that is the only thing really around except for those stones then it was a log home at one point. Search the whole area well. Sometimes there isn't much to find around. It is dissapointing because you know you have been the only one back there with a detector. They were poor and used the land to live and money was scarce.

Even with alot of skill a high performance unit the best I can pop out of a site like that is a few flat buttons some silver ware and alot of bullets. I'd say one in 10 sites like those are productive in the coin category. Atleast that's how it's been for me. Mostly relics from these sites. You may just need a stronger unit to smaller items at depths to make a good find there.

Good luck stay persistent and keep exploring.

HH Jeremy

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Thanks for all the tips and such guys ;) I am going out there right now and i will get a sample of the leaves and also try and drag that darn heavy rock home. That is a great idea, a log cabin..I hadnt thought of that, but it must be if theres no cellar hole, thanks for that jer. There is some kind of cement or mortar holding the chimney together, any ideas how old this kind of cement is? I will get more pics of some rocks that look "arranged" near the chimney, not sure what it is but osmeone definetly moved em around at some point in time. well, ill be back in a bit.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice sites, start diggin!

Keep @ it and HH!!

Attachments

• digdeep.jpg
    digdeep.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 266
  • digdeep.jpg
    digdeep.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 267

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
I agree with everyone, start digging but it may be difficult. I have better examples but can't get photos right now (friend not home), but here is an old Maple across the street from me. And I have a leaf pic too because we had a storm today and my yard is full of these. 4th pic of yours, left side, look like them to me? The bottom of the leaves are silvery which gives it the name, Silver Maple. I like Silver!!!

Attachments

• maple-tree.JPG
    maple-tree.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 277
  • maple-leaf.JPG
    maple-leaf.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 280
OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Those leaves in the fourth pic are from some annoying little tree that got in the way ::) But i think you may be right about the trees being maple, as some of them have something that resembles sap ozzing out of them and its dried up. I tried to find a leave on one but i couldnt see any, guess they are all dead :'( Tere is one living tree that is the biggest tree i have ever seen, i think its a beach tree but im not sure, ill have to take out the field guide to trees and have a look ;) As for digging, i have been! Alot in fact. I have been out ther for a few hours each day pulling out relics and stuff. I have a few nice finds from today, maybe some of the best from the area...Ill post em tomarow.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
That's a great looking site, Jake. I'd get in there and clean the place out. Have you hunted around the chimney and the stream-bed yet?

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
I have hunted the whole site heavily for almost a year now, but it still gives up at least one relic ever time i go there ;)

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool pics and nice site to hunt! Detect all the areas possible, might be a cache in the area. HH, Mike

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
I find the idea of a cache highly unlikely here, but im sure thats what everyone who finds one says :D As for the trees, they are some form of maple, and the huge one i didnt take a pic of is beach it looks like. Any info on dating these trees by size or life expectancy?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread