two weeks of finds

Ilovetodig

Feb 14, 2005
Now in Guam
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/ Fisher D2
Well, I have actually gotten a breather for a moment from work. We have really been working hard here at Pope getting relief supplies and the Army to New Orleans and Miss. I have had no time to detect as of late much less get any pictures taken but this is what I have pulled up since the 1st of Sept.

2 301st Bn crest insignia, 1 military button, 1 Mercury dime (1945), 1 Rosie (1953), 1 50 Cal. bullet, 1 possible musket ball(need to have it confirmed) 1 Weebelo's badge, 1 1917 Wheatie (soaking to break up the crud to see if it is a double die or not) 1 1916 Wheatie, and a good handful of Wheats dating fron 1944 to 1956. I think I have pretty much cleaned out that area that I hunt on base. Last night I went for two hours after work, turned the sensitivity to max on the Ace 250 and dug everything. Total take 33cents and a small bag of trash. The Ace is tricky to read set so high but I thought I would try it and see if there were any deeper signals that I may have missed.

I know no place is completely clened out so I will go there when the time I have is short but I am going to try and find a new area tohunt on base. It's close and doesn't cost alot to drive there. There are some railroad tracks that go through the base an a small grove of trees next to them so I may try there next.

Sorry for being long winded but right now I don't have time to post at all. we are busy.

Oh, almost forgot. On the back of the button is J.R.Gaunt and son Inc. New York. I think its from around the 1940's if someone could help with it I would be thankful. The front has an Eagle holding a branch on the right and arrows on the left, and what looks like a sun above it's head.

Sorry about there being no pictures. My father-in-law has the camera and there is no time to go over and have them taken. :-\

This is what a friend found on the Crest;

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Numeric_Misc/301ArmySecurityAgencyBattalion.htm

Upvote 0

muddyknees

May 5, 2005
Holden Beach,North Carolina
Looks like you and the ace are doing good. Have you ever tried out at camp mc call the green beret area? also if they are still there the old wooden barraks over from the nat. gaurd maint. area lots of places there on that base .the camp areas where the nat. guard bivwacks on there 2 week training.
muddyknees

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son was stationed there several months during his hitch. ?I visited several times . ?He was in the signal corps, worked in the secure area where the big dish antennaes are located. ?Interesting to me in that regard. ?JIM

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
Thanks to Lance, your J R GAUNT backmark is post 1870, and your description indicates US Army Great Seal button, 1902 through WWI.? Nice finds!!!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool stuff!

OP
OP
Ilovetodig

Ilovetodig

Feb 14, 2005
Now in Guam
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/ Fisher D2
Thanks for the info on the button. I figured around WWII but WWI works for me even more. It's in great shape and will look nice next to the others I found. Again thanks for the info, now I have to get back to work. The USAF never sleeps it seems.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread