Old Victorian Greets me with a large copper.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hi all, Hope you don't get tiered of me here. Just starting to get out alot again. My friend has been going crazy and calling me everyday to hunt. I feal bad because he hasn't found anything great here since we started hunting again. He has a good machine but hasn't swung it to much over the years. We only had about? 1 hr and 15 minutes to hunt today.

We started the day me him and my 2 boys at a old park. We can't hunt much with the kids sticking there feet in our holes and every thing else you name it. But we managed to swing around them. It was slow at the park. I was hitting a area at the egde of a ballfield andu saw a nice section of woods cut out behind this old home.

I wasn't to sure if I wanted to hunt it because I'm sure someone owned it and I didn't want to be in there back yard digging. There was no lawn it was all just dirt. I looked around and said I'm gonna hit it. If someone yells I'll deal with it then.

Within 2 minutes of just stepping into the edge of the yard I got a solid 85 on the dfx locked on dug down about 5 inches and out it popped. I was almost certain it was a large cent. My friend came over we scanned over it. No one yelled or said anything to us. I got a couple wheats a buckle and a awesome little lead indian. I think I like that more than the large cent.

The large cent is in terrible shape. I think it is a 1810. But I will have to work on it over the weekend. I'll post back when I get it cleaned more. You can only see detail when it's wet. I'm pretty sure I saw 1810. I hate to clean them when there in this bad of shape. I may lose the date that you can't even see as it is now unless it's wet and then it's still not clear. I'm out of a product I use to polish coins with. I will have to get some tonight.

Thanks for looking. I'll update this with a better pic of the coin and a exact date if I get one.

Attachments

• 1810 Large Cent.jpg
    1810 Large Cent.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 440
  • 1810 Large Cent 1 edited.JPG
    1810 Large Cent 1 edited.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 473
Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How could anyone get tired of seeing all your great finds!!!!!

Really nice!!!!

;)

muddyknees

May 5, 2005
Holden Beach,North Carolina
I dont belive any gets tired of your post. I know what mean about the kids I take my grandson with me some times ,I let him use an older machine ,he gets distraced real quick if he doesnt find any thing.really nice finds there.
muddyknees

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would definately be at the edge of the woods again at first light tomorow! (no kids either) :D

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Aw, Jer, how could we get tired of looking at all your good stuff. Keep it comin'.

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Great find Jer. Congrats. Those Classic heads are hard to come by. I think I would find out who owns the woods and then spend a lot of time there. Where there is one, you know there are more. Lance

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Re: Old Victorian Greets me with a large copper. Updated pick.

Thanks everyone. Well I am happy I found it. It is in by far the worst shape coin I ever dug. It's my second one this year. The other one is in way better shape than this one. The ground just destroyed it. Our grounds are really rough on the coins around here. Even silver gets beat up.

I wasn't even supposed to find this coin today so I'll settle for just having another old coin to the collection. I never got a clear date off of it. I am almost certain it is in the teens though.

It is one for the tumbler for sure. I need to pick one up. But I rarely get a coin in this bad of condition.

HH Jeremy

Attachments

• Matron head.jpg
    Matron head.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 361
M

mattjd

A Lg cent is a Lg cent no matter what condition! Real nice early date too!

Keep pulling them Jer!

HH Matt

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
Looks like a good day to me. It's always nice to see everyones finds.

GL & HH,

DugHoles

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Great digs, WTG!!!
Those old metal figures do have more style, and charactor then most of any theses days, huh? I like' em too...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

rabajohn

Aug 10, 2005
Woodlawn, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & ole Tesoro Silver Sabre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have called it a GREAT hunting day just to find the lead Injun. Don't get me wrong, I like the other stuff too! Next time you go there and you find a lead cowboy, don't be surprised if he's missing his scalp. More good luck...

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks alot guys. Sorry to let some of these go so long. Been busy and been posting alot and it makes tough to reply to all of them. I liked that lead indian alot. I actually just found another soildier similar to him. They are some cool little toys.

Thanks again Jer

M

mchamby

Greats finds, you have had the pleasure of finding things some of us will only dream of but we'll keep trying. Good luck and HH ;)
Mchamby

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks machamby. I work really hard for my stuff. It's difficult to find things here like it is else were. I have a different grasp on the hobby than most people. I have figured out were treasure hides and come across alot of potential places that way. The more time you spend the more you learn. You'll figure things out alot more about how people used these lands long ago after you have found a few or so locations that turn out to be gold mines. There's alot of spots that magazines don't tell you about. But at the same time your faced with challenges also.

For those of you who haven't made the greatest finds yet keep searching. There's alot of treasure still out there. One must have top notch equiptment these days to excel. I don't care what the guy says about a 200.00 machine up against a 1000.00 or more detector. The better you have the more you will find. They desighned them that way. If they didn't everyone would run a mid grade detector.

Keep searching everyone. It's there. It takes work and motivation to find it.

HH Jeremy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread