My First Silver

malice51

Jul 28, 2005
Found my first silver today! (Coins, anyway). I've been mostly clad hunting this summer as I get to know my Ace250. Today I hit a small picnic area and boat launch that was filled with very mature trees. I've been running my sensitivity at only 3 or 4 bars, which pretty much assures I won't find anything deeper than 4 inches. But today after having some luck with the clad I decided to run at max sensitivity. The quarter I found about 6 feet out from a very large willow tree, at about 6 inches down right next to a big exposed root. It was ringing a very strong and consistent quarter signal and showed a depth of 6 inches. In my experience to date anything showing that strong of a signal and at that depth was usually something big and not a quarter. But this time it was a beautiful silver quarter. As I was brushing the dirt off of it, it almost had a purplish tint to it. I knew immediatly it was silver. What a great feeling!

Only to be surpassed a short time later when I was hitting a hill and found a similar very strong dime signal at 8 inches. I was very excited digging it because my experience with the quarter gave me confidence this was a silver dime. I could only hope for a Mercury! And sure enough, there it was. My god what a feeling seeing that come out of the ground. Can't wait to go back again!

Attachments

• silver-front.jpg
    silver-front.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 313
  • silver-back.jpg
    silver-back.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 317
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WELCOME & Congrats !

Jeff

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Congrats Malice. Welcome to the forum. I can tell you are totally hooked now. Don't worry, its not fatal...Congrats...Lance

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that made your day!!!! Wow! Great finds and Welcome!!!!

Nana ;)

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Congrats, It's a great fealing to find silver after all that hard clad time. Sounds like your getting better with your unit.

Good Luck Jer

D

Deadshot

Welcome to the Forum and congrates on the silver. Those dimes sure are pretty aint they? Once you hear that sound of silver it is hard to forget it. Good luck on the next million silvers!!!!

Deadshot

M

mattjd

WOW! That Ace 250 sounds like it does great even on those deep targets. A good place to find SHALLOW, but modern silvers are at those mid-centry ranch houses.

Good luck with it!

HH Matt

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
You'll never forget your first silver. Mine was a 56-D Roosevelt just off the front porch of an old house. Happy Hunting!

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!! Awesome finds!! It IS such a great feeling seeing a silver coin come out of the ground!!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to a great forum and hobby! You beat my first silver coin and so far found more silver coins total. I only found a 1943 P War Nickle. (35% silver)

Keep @ it and HH!!

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. I like the pictures nice job. Did you scan those in? I'm still waiting on a Merc to pop out of the ground into my pouch.

Kermit

OP
OP
M

malice51

Jul 28, 2005
Kermit said:
Great finds. I like the pictures nice job. Did you scan those in? I'm still waiting on a Merc to pop out of the ground into my pouch.

Kermit

Thanks Kermit. Yes, I have an HP Photosmart all-in-one printer that has a scanner on it. I used Paint Shop Pro to export the scanned image to a reasonable file size for the forum.

I did some more investigating in the park this morning and found a memorial plaque that was dated 1929. I believe I've found my new hunting grounds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread