Golden Sand Beach Yields Gold..(sort of)

Kiwijohn

Dec 10, 2008
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Excalibur 1000 Garrett Pro Pointer
Pictured is a lovely little beach not far from where I live. Not hunted much as far as I know. It is Summer here so I went there early this morning to chase the outgoing tide and hunt where the beach levels out.
The Ace 250 did not perform at all well in the wet sand.
IMG_0106 (Medium).JPG
Any ideas how I might get it to perform better under these conditions?

However.... the dry sand gave up some of its gold :icon_sunny:
The note was just laying on the sand.
IMG_0108 (Medium).JPG
Did I mention that is is Summer here? :icon_sunny:

Upvote 0

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can I come play at your house? ;D ;D ;D
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WooHoo !! nearly $30 :o Way to go Mate :thumbsup:
Much better than I have ever done. You must have been the first MD'er to hit that beach.

Cheers, Mike (in Papakura)

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Awesome finds, very unique coins then what we have. I like your designs.

I haven't used my ACE 250 in wet sand yet, so I couldn't help you. If you posted in the Garrett forum on here, they can tell you all about it.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you must hit that beach more often Sorry I can not help on the Ace 250...mlayers

lazyaussie

Jan 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
garret ace250 explorer ll excal 1000 whites BHID
nice finds :thumbsup: is that beach in the nelson/mot region ?? if so i use to hunt that beach. the ace really dosint like wet sand you"ll have to turn the sensitivity down to 2-3 bars but it should do well in the dry sand i"d run the sensitivity as high as you can ( 6-7 bars) in all metal & dig everything above iron so you dont miss the small gold hope this helps.
do the new NZ coins come up as iron ?? i havint been there sinse the change over
lazyaussie

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds , and awesome looking area to detect ,try backing the sensitivity down a little on the wet sand it might help ! With finds adding up like that per day who needs a job keep up the good work :)

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Those are some nice finds, & a beautiful beach as well. I will be in or around taupo in mid April do you know if there is any good spots around there to hunt. As of yet I am not planing on taking my MD.

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Hey Kiwijohn.Not a bad haul for a couple hours work. Not sure about the settings on the ace, just pop down to the garrett forum and i am sure you will get some good advice. Still trying to work out the beach you were at. Keep it up.

Sasnz

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I PMed Crackbadger to give some advice, watch this space..........

S

seger98

Turn your sensitivity down & the Ace 250 will start working alot better in the wet sand.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, a great hunt and summer, lucky. We will almost climb to freezing here today.

OP
OP
Kiwijohn

Kiwijohn

Dec 10, 2008
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Excalibur 1000 Garrett Pro Pointer
Thanks for all the replies, kind words and how I might handle wet sand.

lazyaussie said:
is that beach in the nelson/mot region ?? if so i use to hunt that beach.
do the new NZ coins come up as iron ?? i havint been there sinse the change over
lazyaussie

Yes the beach is in the Nelson/ Motueka region. Kaiteriteri Beach.
All the new NZ coins are steel but the gold coloured $1 & $2 and the silver 50c ring a very happy
noise on the Ace. The copper coloured 10c makes a slightly less joyful noise but well above iron.

bula said:
Those are some nice finds, & a beautiful beach as well. I will be in or around taupo in mid April do you know if there is any good spots around there to hunt. As of yet I am not planing on taking my MD.

I have not visited Taupo for several years and not MD'ed there as I am now to this. However
Lake Taupo is large and very popular for all watersports, sandy beaches. I would pack it.

sasnz said:
Still trying to work out the beach you were at. Keep it up.
Sasnz

Beach is Kaiteriteri (Or Kaiteri as the locals call it.) In the Abel Tasman National Park. All the beaches
along this coast are similar but this is the largest and most popular. Photo shows about half the beach. Similar
length behind camera.

sage said:
I'd say your ace did just fine! good rakes mate! My wife and I hire alot of NZ'ers here In NC! Not a bad rugby team either! cheers

Thanks for that. Would love to visit your part of the States.

lazyaussie

Jan 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
garret ace250 explorer ll excal 1000 whites BHID
wow that brings back memory's i wish i was still there so many great hunting spots i lived in nelson then in tapawera & hunted kaiteri quite a lot also hit rabbit island & tahuna beach witch are both good spots also all the swimming holes in the rivers are good to hit i"d hunt the all kids play grounds in schools & parks to theres not a lot of other detectorists in NZ & i reckon you"d make a killing i run an ace250 over here as well i hit a lot of bark play grounds & do very well.
i look forward to seeing all you great finds from kiwi land.
lazyaussie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread